INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theatre View text wrapping question  (Read 721 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Theatre View text wrapping question
« on: May 22, 2020, 12:36:17 am »

Hi there

I've a Theatre View query that doesn't behave the way I'd expect. I'm showing movies in thumbnail style with the text underneath. I have a user defined field which allows multiple named files per movie (Bit like Album Artist (Auto)). At the lowest level of the query, I use an expression to force sorting, but only display the field.  But when that displays on screen, the text is truncated at the end of the first line. At the other levels of the query, a field is displayed, which will happily wrap to a second line.

Is this behaviour caused by using an expression, or something else?

Thanks

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Theatre View text wrapping question
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 01:20:26 am »

I'm using expressions in Theater View, and they wrap onto the second line.

Can you post screenshots of what you see in the view, the view definition, and the actual code you're using?

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 04:34:36 am »

Screen grabs as requested

wer

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 11:54:36 am »

I understand what the expression to group by actually does.

But what are you trying to do with it? What's the goal, or what are you trying to achieve?

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 12:11:13 pm »

Think he expect text to go to second line if it’s too long to be displayed on one line ... I am not next to HTPC atm ... so cannot help right now
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

wer

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 12:36:28 pm »

I know that. But the expression displays either the [Name] or the [Name] with a space in front of it.  What is intended to be accomplished by that?

One thing you can try as a quick test stricko...  There was a bug a couple of months back in which Expression to Display was not processed properly if was the bottom category in the stack (as yours is).  I thought this bug was corrected, and that it only affected Media Network views.

But try inserting a new dummy expression below your Name expression.

Just add a new category, type=expression to the stack, call it dummy, and leave expression to group by and expression to display blank.

See if that has any effect on your issue.  I just want to rule that bug out.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 12:39:28 pm »

I have multiple files associated with a single movie. Often they are DVD extras, sometimes a TV documentary. The other case is where I have multiple versions of the same movie, different cuts, 4k, 3d etc.

Only the "base" version of the movie has the Name field value of (in this case) "Happy Feet" and the Title field is blank. All other files have Title of Happy Feet, and the Name field could be anything. The TitleA field is

if(IsEmpty([Title]),[Name],[Title])

to group the files together.

The expression in the view is just for sorting, to force the "base" version of the files to always be the first file shown in the list, by adding a space before TitleA.

Sorry, bit long winded for such a simple thing.

wer

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 12:44:08 pm »

Ok I figured that was it. Did you try adding the dummy expression?

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 12:45:34 pm »

Tried your test with the Dummy expression. No change I'm afraid. Don't imagine it will make a difference but it's a client/server setup. I tried adding the expression at the client, and also added it to the server, but still no change.

Wer, your comment aboiut my expression is not quite right, the space is only added for the sort, not the display, as per my previous reply.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 12:46:08 pm »

We are typing at the same time ;-)

wer

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 01:10:46 pm »

Wer, your comment aboiut my expression is not quite right, the space is only added for the sort, not the display, as per my previous reply.

Yes I know that.  But you have [Name] in there as an expression to display, and it's at the bottom of the stack.  I thought it was unlikely there would be a connection, because as I said the bug was in Media Network views, but it was worth a shot.

Just as an aside, you're aware the way to quote a space is to prefix it with a / character, right?  Using " " doesn't add a space, it adds a space and 2 quotation marks, as the " character is treated literally by MC.  So [Name] with a space in front of it would be / [Name]

But I have replicated your bottom level exactly, and on my machine it wraps to two lines.  We even both have Size at 125%.  For Font I'm using Segoe UI.

Are you running 26.0.80?

What are those two TitleA levels doing?

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 06:21:34 pm »

Clients and server running all 26.0.80. Symptoms occur on server and multiple clients. Database backed up and restored.

Re the info on inserting the space, I guess that as it was doing what I expected, I hadn't realised that there was a problem.

The first TitleA is just grouping by the initial character, grouping size = 1

I've not changed anything with the Theater View layout, pretty much a default install, apart from the query structures

Thanks for your help with this.

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 12:56:04 am »

I've been playing around, adding / removing levels, changing the sequence of things etc, just to see if it would make a difference. Like you had, I added a new query replicating the original, and hey presto, it works. Text wrapping correctly!

So my guess is that the problem was caused at some point either during the initial build of the query, or in some subsequent edit.

Again, thanks for your help.

wer

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 01:14:36 am »

Glad you got it sorted out!
Pages: [1]   Go Up