INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSF file plays but won't copy  (Read 1133 times)

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
DSF file plays but won't copy
« on: May 21, 2020, 09:44:12 am »

I just added my first DSF file -- which seems to playback fine through both my main system and remotely through JRemote2 in a different location via wifi connection and my android tablet.  I had downloaded it and added it to my JRiver Library.   BUT --

Using DBPoweramp (I am using the Batch Converter for the first time), the DSF file seemed to be the only file the Converter skipped over. 

What am I missing?

THANKS for the guidance!

pluto

• World Citizen
Re: DSF file plays but won't copy
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 10:08:16 am »

Using DBPoweramp (I am using the Batch Converter for the first time), the DSF file seemed to be the only file the Converter skipped over. 

What am I missing?

dBPoweramp only copies into DSF format (within the DSD space), not out of it. What exactly are you wanting to achieve?

If you want to keep your DSD material as individual files, DSF is generally the most useful format as it supports proper internal tagging.

Another thing to be aware of, AFAIK, is that any DSD conversion within dBPoweramp goes through a PCM intermediate stage so if you are one of those people who is paranoid about the purity and sanctity of your DSD material, be very careful what you do using dBPoweramp (which is awesomely useful within the PCM space).

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 02:10:58 pm »

Pluto -- Thanks for your immediate response.

Unfortunately, I don't fully understand most of the technical jargon you mentioned.  The thing I was trying to do -- and this may come up sometime in the future (this is the first DSF file I've downloaded) --  is to share this album with a friend who only uses MP3 files.  So, along with several other FLAC files, I was trying to Convert the DSF album into MP3.

I'm not aware, btw, if that capability exists within MC.

Incidentally, the DSF album file (Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section) sounds fantastic, but I assuming that is mainly due to the quality of the original recording (?).

Thanks again.

pluto

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 03:23:41 pm »

I suggest that you get the necessary result in the 'standard' converter before tackling the additional complications of the batch converter.

In File Explorer, right click on the DSF file (or multiple files) and choose "convert to" (where you should also see an icon like a small loudspeaker) and then dBpoweramp's conversion menu should appear, where you will find an MP3 option.

Does the entire album consist of one big DSF file or one per track?

As this is not really related to Media Center, may I suggest that it would be better to seek assistance in dbpoweramp's forum.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 06:10:32 pm »

MC will convert DSD to other formats. Just select the tracks, right click and choose Library Tools - Convert Format. Then select the output format and options to set conversion options.

Love that album.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 03:39:18 am »

I bet the artist who produced the album(s) loves the royalties they would have produced. Openly declaring that the files are being pirated for a friend shouldn't be aided by the forum. Just my 1 pennyworth.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 06:24:54 am »

Why do you say they are being pirated?

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 06:49:16 am »

Why do you say they are being pirated?

have to agree it can be interpreted that way.  he stated he wants to convert to mp3 to share with a friend.  if the friend likes it then he/she should purchase it and convert it themselves.

if he wanted to “share Media Center” with a friend likely that would be considered piracy.

-

some might argue what is the big deal since we talk about playback in media center of clearly protected ripped media all the time, which violates the DMCA in the US and is illegal.   but the difference is we don’t talk about distributing the ripped media, and if history is any guide, the distribution is where people end up in legal hot water.

-

on a positive note, i’m going to go check this album out now :)
TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 07:57:24 am »

Art Pepper was a well know alto sax guy from the West Coast cool jazz school. The "rhythm section" was Red Garland (piano), Paul Chambers (bass), and Philly Joe Jones (drums), who were the rhythm section for the Miles Davis Quintet at the time.  The combination of West Coast cool jazz and the East Coast more hard driving style created a masterpiece, perhaps the best album Pepper ever did.  The album came out in 1957.  I have it on vinyl, but I also digitized it to 24/192 PCM.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 08:15:05 am »

Art Pepper was a well know alto sax guy from the West Coast cool jazz school. The "rhythm section" was Red Garland (piano), Paul Chambers (bass), and Philly Joe Jones (drums), who were the rhythm section for the Miles Davis Quintet at the time.  The combination of West Coast cool jazz and the East Coast more hard driving style created a masterpiece, perhaps the best album Pepper ever did.  The album came out in 1957.  I have it on vinyl, but I also digitized it to 24/192 PCM.

found the DSD available on Acoustic Sounds.  There is a SACD which I would prefer but it's out of print.  Bought the DSD files.

Seems he has a couple other SACDs released by Analogue Productions.  Might pick them up too.

Miles Davis' Kind of Blue is a masterpiece as far as I am concerned and this sounds right up there with it!

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 08:39:47 am »

have to agree it can be interpreted that way.  he stated he wants to convert to mp3 to share with a friend.  if the friend likes it then he/she should purchase it and convert it themselves.

OK.   I understand now.  I also agree with you.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 08:48:30 am »

found the DSD available on Acoustic Sounds.  There is a SACD which I would prefer but it's out of print.  Bought the DSD files.

Seems he has a couple other SACDs released by Analogue Productions.  Might pick them up too.

Miles Davis' Kind of Blue is a masterpiece as far as I am concerned and this sounds right up there with it!

+11 is another favorite, again on vinyl.  It is a large group effort and includes many classics from other artists.  Art of the Ballad is a collection of tracks spanning much of his career and is another favorite.

Pepper had a serious drug problem, as did too many of the jazz greats of the time, and therefore he played somewhat sporadically. His heroin addiction landed him in jail several times.

wdesbrow

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 09:09:25 am »

Guys -- Thanks much for the guidance and additional background.  I will try again in both dB and MC.

As an unrelated piece of trivia:  Not being a HUGE jazz fan I was unaware of Art Pepper until I tuned into a streaming series called "Bosch."  Well-done.  About a 50-some year old honest detective with (of course) multiple personal issues, who is also (incidentally, written into the script) a vintage stereo/jazz guy.  In the current season we find out that Art Pepper is his favorite artist. I wanted to test the waters and it looked like "...Rhythm Section" might be his iconic album -- which was only available in DSF.

But, I will certainly follow up on your direction to others!

BTW,  I recently added a double album ("Career") by another old school artist, Chet Baker, into MC.  One disc devoted to his trumpet playing; the other to his vocal. Very enjoyable content AND sound quality.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 09:22:30 am »

If you like the series check out the books. Great detective procedural fiction with reference to West coast Art Pepper like gems sprinkled all the way through.
Pages: [1]   Go Up