INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color Discrepancy  (Read 537 times)

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
Color Discrepancy
« on: May 25, 2020, 04:32:56 pm »

I am noticing a difference in cover art colors that I am not sure why.  The image displayed in the playing view has different colors than the actual Folder.jpg attached to the playing file and existing file's directory.  I never noticed this color difference before.  Why would I be seeing it?  This is version 26.0.80 64-bit.

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Color Discrepancy
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 04:34:31 pm »

The pop-up over to the right shows the actual colors that I expect.  The image showing to the left is what I normally see.  The color difference is clear even on this screenshot attachment.

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 05:10:33 pm »

It looks like the colors shown in the pop-up to the right actually are the incorrect colors.  I opened the JPG in Photoshop, and the colors it displays are closer to what is shown in the left.  What is shown on the right matches what Windows displays in its default apps (incorrect -- photos, paintbrush, etc).

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 10:40:26 pm »

It seems that this issue I am seeing has to do with color calibration settings.  I am not seeing any way to specify an ICC calibration file for MC's use.  The image to the left is most likely sharing code for image/video display.  I am sure JRiver worked hard to ensure colors are correct for this portion of the screen, and this is why it is close to Photoshop by default.  The pop-up Window most likely is not strongly color calibrated or even configurable (that I see in options anyway).  This is the most likely reason why the colors are so far off for the two identical JPG files.

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 10:54:38 pm »

Just for comparison, below is the same image from Photoshop CS6.

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 08:52:08 am »

One final post on this topic--

Microsoft, by default, implements their own ICM implementation within Windows for color calibration.  Adobe Photoshop, by default, does not use Microsoft's implementation at all.  Adobe has their own color engine that is more accurate.  It is impossible to match Adobe's colors using Microsoft's implementation, because Microsoft has a weaker implementation.  JRiver has correct colors, and it appears they are not using Microsoft for the main display to the left.  Microsoft's implementation, that is not accurate, is most likely being used for the pop-up to the right.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 08:57:04 am »

JRiver has correct colors, and it appears they are not using Microsoft for the main display to the left.  Microsoft's implementation, that is not accurate, is most likely being used for the pop-up to the right.

The "main display" to the left is a website, which is either being rendered by IE or Chromium, depending on your options. The pop-up to the right is what Media Center renders.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Jamil

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 10:55:54 am »

Thanks for sharing the info.  I have MC26 configured to use the chromium engine.  I do not like or use Chrome, but the latest Microsoft Edge does show the same JPG with colors also close to Photoshop.  Internet Explorer shows the inaccurate colors.

I wonder if you could also render the pop-up to the right with the same web browsing engine.  The colors would match then.

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 11:15:50 am »

This all gets even more fun with wide-gamut monitors!
Pages: [1]   Go Up