INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync handheld - downgrade Hi res flac  (Read 2038 times)

Tsiobbel

• Junior Woodchuck
Sync handheld - downgrade Hi res flac
« on: May 26, 2020, 02:03:25 pm »

Hello,

I buy more and more hi res flac files and I create playlists which I transfer to a SD card for playing in my car. I noticed however that my car is capable of playing flac 24 bit but limited to 24/44.1 khz. The 24/192 files are recognized by the car audio system (cover) and it seems to play, but no sound can be heard. How can you 'downgrade' my hi res files (some of them in 241/192) to 24/44.1 ? The option tool in MC allows me to convert in different formats, but I don't know the flac downgrade function.
Or shall we ask the german car maker to spend more money and energy in car adio systems  :)

Thanks

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sync handheld - downgrade Hi res flac
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 09:30:59 pm »

Just add DSP to the Handheld Sync Options, and in DSP Studio change the Sample Rate from 192 to 44.1.

See the attached image.

Note: DSP is only applied if your are converting format, so you must select "Audio > Mode > Specified output format", with the FLAC encoder selected.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Tsiobbel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 11:51:45 pm »

Thanks for your quick reply, Roderick. I will use use this option.
Probably it will convert the complete playlist (with different sampling rates) into the desired output.

In these turbulent times, JRiver and its community became a good friend !

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 01:31:04 am »

It is a good community.

You can define which Sample Rates get converted. I just changed the 192kHz rate as an example/test.

Enjoy the music!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 06:52:52 am »

In these turbulent times, JRiver and its community became a good friend !
Thanks for saying so!  It's your kind of warmth that makes it good.

Tsiobbel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 03:21:48 am »

I did a test converting flac 24/48, 24/88.6 and 24/192 into 24/44.1
As you noticed, I used the right click button to concert all to 44.1
All of them played in the car except one frequency : the music files with the original 24/192.

The covers of the 24/192 files are visible and on the screen I can see they are playing but no sound is heard.

Andy advice how I can solve this ?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 09:08:22 pm »

I did a test converting flac 24/48, 24/88.6 and 24/192 into 24/44.1
As you noticed, I used the right click button to concert all to 44.1

Did you use the Handheld Sync functionality, or the "right-click > Library Tools > Convert Format" function?

Both functions worked in my tests. If the 24/192 file won't play in the car, check the format of the file using MediaInfo to confirm that it is now actually 24/44.1, as it should be.

If the file is correctly converted to 24/44.1 and still won't play, try converting the original to 16/44.1 and see if that plays.

Tsiobbel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 01:56:11 am »

Hello Roderick,

It took me some time to find out what I did wrong. I don't have the solution yet, but its worked for some files and others (all with the same 24/192 bitrate) are not converted. I have relaunched JRiver sometimes but - strange enough - some are kept in the original 24/192.

I attach a printscreen.

I use the 'options' in the sync handheld menu' and set all to 44.1 khz.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 02:52:47 am »

I can see the problem right away, and it explains why some are converted and some are not.

Note: DSP is only applied if your are converting format, so you must select "Audio > Mode > Specified output format", with the FLAC encoder selected.

You have the "Audio > Mode" set to "Specified output format only when necessary". It must be "Specified output format".

Tsiobbel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 01:49:04 pm »

Dear Roderick,

Sorry for the delay in answering.
I wanted to make some tests before coming back to you.

Unfortunately, the 'specific output format' did not help me out. I have restarted JRiver some times, but as you can se in the attachment the conversion downgrade did not take place.

I took some 24/192 and one 24/96.

I've tried to figure out what I did wrong, but I haven't find the solution yet.

I'm not eager to convert the original to 24/44.1

Thanks in advance for your help.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 01:51:51 pm »

If you have the conversion cache enabled you will need to disable or delete it first or else MC will just keep transferring the old files.

Tsiobbel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 02:03:35 pm »

Thanks Bryan.

Thanks for the solution ! I disabled the conversion cache (in fact an option I never looked at) and it works !

I never received a reply so quickly for the other side of the world.

Thanks again !
Vincent

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 05:25:09 pm »

Ah yes. See the Clarification of Audio Conversion Modes section of the Handheld Sync Options Wiki.

I wrote that because of confusion in the past. I've turned off the Conversion Cache in my MC installation because of these issues.

Tsiobbel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 10:07:12 pm »

Thanks again both Roderick and Bryan for your great help !
Pages: [1]   Go Up