INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlist and file type change  (Read 395 times)

terrya64

• Junior Woodchuck
Playlist and file type change
« on: May 26, 2020, 05:31:38 pm »

Will songs remain in a playlist if you change the file type but keep the same name and location?
His mind is not for rent..to any god or government

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Playlist and file type change
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 06:27:01 pm »

Probably not, but it would be easy to try.

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 08:51:55 pm »

I had written an answer before I realized you were changing the file type and thus the name.  It will see it as a completely different file.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 09:05:08 pm »

Will songs remain in a playlist if you change the file type but keep the same name and location?

No.

To clarify, if you are for example replacing MP3 files with new CD rips to FLAC files, then you should read up about copying and pasting tags from one file (or set of files) to another file(s).

See the Tag Pasting feature thread: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71801.0

Plus the older method described in the Wiki: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tag_Copying

You will want to understand and test both methods thoroughly before committing changes to large numbers of files.

However, I don't think that tag pasting will copy over the Playlists that I file belongs to, as Playlists are stored a bit differently and aren't really in the file tags.

So, assuming that you are replacing MP3 files with FLAC files, what you should do after adding the FLAC files to the Library is export the Playlist in MPL file format before you remove the MP3 files from the Library. Then edit that Playlist with a good editor. I recommend Notepad++. Do a "Find & Replace" in the editor to find ".MP3" and replace with ".FLAC". Save that and then import that Playlist back into MC. Your new FLAC files will then be associated with the original Paylist in MC.

If you want, you could then delete the MP3 files from your Library. Or stack them under the FLAC files if you wish to keep them. Your choice.

PS: I haven't tested all of the above. Test carefully, and if you get stuck, ask for more help.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up