INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Solution for Albums with the Album Artist being 2 or more persons/entities  (Read 698 times)

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen

I am looking for a way to be give an album more than one album artist, but be able to include the album in each of the album artists list.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

Usually the way to do that is by separating them with a semicolon (that works with genres and artists, for example).  I've never tried it with album artist, but it's worth a shot.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

[Album Artist] is a string field, which means it can only have one value. Of course you can type in multiple Artists, but MC will consider the whole text string as one Artist. So "Prince" and "Prince;Enya" would be two different Artists.

MC is set up that way because by definition, Album Artist is just one Artist, not multiple.

If you want to set multiple Artists, which would be on a Track rather than an Album, enter them into the [Artist] field, and then each Track that refers to those Artists will show up in the Artists Views, under each Artist. That is the intent of the functionality.

If you haven't already, read this very carefully: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto) and search the Wiki for related articles, like this one: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Multiple_Artist_Albums
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen

Usually the way to do that is by separating them with a semicolon (that works with genres and artists, for example).  I've never tried it with album artist, but it's worth a shot.

The semi-colon does not work for album artist

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen

[Album Artist] is a string field, which means it can only have one value. Of course you can type in multiple Artists, but MC will consider the whole text string as one Artist. So "Prince" and "Prince;Enya" would be two different Artists.

MC is set up that way because by definition, Album Artist is just one Artist, not multiple.

If you want to set multiple Artists, which would be on a Track rather than an Album, enter them into the [Artist] field, and then each Track that refers to those Artists will show up in the Artists Views, under each Artist. That is the intent of the functionality.

If you haven't already, read this very carefully: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto) and search the Wiki for related articles, like this one: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Multiple_Artist_Albums

Thanks for answer. I already use Artists per track. Even there it would be useful in to seperate artists. For instance, I have a lot of classical chamber music. One example: Violin sonates by Henryk Szeryng and Arthur Rubinstein. I use to have Rubinstein as Album Artist and ignore Szeryng. Now I have Henryk Szeryng & Arthur Rubinstein as Album Artist, but then I generate a lot of new Album Artists. The order is important there as well as "&" or "and". Would love to have this solved exactly like "Genre" where it works fine.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Would love to have this solved exactly like "Genre" where it works fine.

[Artist] works exactly like [Genre], so if [Genre] works the way you want, use [Artist] and not [Album Artist].

I know, you already are using [Artist] with multiple Artists in there. Then base your Views and searches on [Artist] and not [Album Artist]. In fact, leave [Album Artist] empty and [Album Artist (auto)] will be set to "(Multiple Artists)", which reflects more correctly what the Album is, based on what you are saying you want.

Even there it would be useful in to seperate artists.

It does.

To be very clear, in the example you just gave, your [Artist] field should contain "Henryk Szeryng;Arthur Rubinstein", without the quotes of course. Then all Views that use [Artist] will show the Track for Henryk Szeryng and separately for Arthur Rubinstein.

Entering more than one Artist into [Album Artist] will just end in tears. I think you missed the point where I said:

To back that up, a quick Google finds this independent definition:
"Album Artist' tags are stored inside mp3s and other music files. They denote the artist for a musical release, as distinct from artists for the tracks that constitute a release."

Ref: https://www.blisshq.com/music-library-management-blog/2010/10/12/how-to-use-album_artist/

TL;DR  You're trying to use [Album Artist] wrong.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen

Thanks. I was wrong with "Artists". The semicolon works fine. My problems is that my "Artists" metadata is a mess. Only conclusion for me is 50.000 tracks to clean up. :o :-\.

I still do not buy the notion that "Album Artist" is one. It is one entity but could consists of one of more persons, ensembles, etc. for the whole album.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

It certainly could be one ensemble, group, or band, when that is a known entity. Sometimes that is the most appropriate value.

For non-classical works, it gets even messier when the band has member changes over time, and you want to track those changes, or who was in the band at the time of the recording.

For Classical music, I wouldn't even know where to start. The variations are so great. For example, one Chamber Music ensemble could have different members in every recording and could pull from a much larger pool of musicians at any time. How would you track those Artists, and would you even want to? A friend of mine would say yes, but he can discuss specific recordings, who was in them, how they contributed, and at what stage of their career they were at! All of that is probably better placed in the [Comment] field, rather than track it in [Artist].

Nobody likes to do the big clean up. I still have lots to do in my collection. But, it is the correct solution, so it must be done!  :D

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team

It certainly could be one ensemble, group, or band, when that is a known entity. Sometimes that is the most appropriate value.

For non-classical works, it gets even messier when the band has member changes over time, and you want to track those changes, or who was in the band at the time of the recording.

For Classical music, I wouldn't even know where to start. The variations are so great. For example, one Chamber Music ensemble could have different members in every recording and could pull from a much larger pool of musicians at any time. How would you track those Artists, and would you even want to? A friend of mine would say yes, but he can discuss specific recordings, who was in them, how they contributed, and at what stage of their career they were at! All of that is probably better placed in the [Comment] field, rather than track it in [Artist].

Nobody likes to do the big clean up. I still have lots to do in my collection. But, it is the correct solution, so it must be done!  :D

Rod for bands whose line-up changes surely a better way of keeping track of "who was in the band at time of recording" is to use the Band Tag and not the Artist or Comment Tag
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

I agree. However, I'm not sure when the Band field was added so older Libraries would need a bit of work. Also, I don't think it is a commonly used tag in other applications, if files need to be used, say, in a car audio system and the user wants some information displayed when it is played. For use just in MC, that would be a good idea.

But take one small example, Queen. Typically almost every Track I have ever seen from anywhere has the Artist set to "Queen", and not the members of the group. Because they are core tags used everywhere, it makes a lot of sense to set the [Album Artist] to Queen, and if you want to track group members, put the individual names in the [Artist] field. Those two fields are universal, so they will be seen by all applications.

I meant the comment field could be used for descriptions of the state of the group at the time of the recording, similar to a mini version of the descriptions available on Last FM and similar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up