INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback history  (Read 504 times)

DangerJP

• World Citizen
Playback history
« on: June 04, 2020, 07:06:06 pm »

Hi,

Does MC keep a global playback history of all the tracks in a library ?

I'd like to build a view looking like this :
- 10 most played tracks this month;
- 50 most played tracks this year;
- 100 most played tracks of all time.

The last category is easy to build with the [Number Plays] field.

For the other categories, I'd need to use the whole playback history.

I know there is the [Last played] field, but it's just that. I guess I'd need a [Played on] field which would be a list of dates...

Is there a workaround for this ?

Thanks is advance!

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playback history
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 07:19:58 pm »

Not that I can think of.  There are certain limited things one could do using calculated fields based on the fields you've mentioned, but since [Last Played] is overwritten each time, you have no way of knowing even the next-most-recent play, much less a full history.

I suspect it would be possible, using global variables, to construct an expression integrated into a playlist or view that could build a playback history field, by selectively adding to it each time the code is invoked. That would be a tricky undertaking.

I doubt I would be interested in this myself, but I can certainly see that others might be.  It's an interesting idea, and would make a good feature request.  It would not be hard to implement, I don't think.

One gotcha would be that as soon as you give someone a history, they tend to want a way to edit the history, and that adds to the complexity of the request.  Perhaps if the data were just stored in a normal list field that would suffice.

Also, if the data is just stored as a simple list, instead of actually calculating statistics, then building the views you're asking for would still require sophisticated expressions on the part of the user.  And if you say, oh just let the app build all those statistics, then the complexity of the request grows even further.

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 08:54:28 pm »

Hi Wer,

Thanks a lot for your input, really appreciated!

I guess it's more complicated than I thought  :)

My basic idea was to create some kind of "billboard charts" for the family.

Best regards,

Dawgincontrol

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • We have met the enemy and he is us.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 08:58:21 pm »

You can get the free subscription to LAST FM and let MC26 scrobble your plays.  You can pull it up pretty easily there.

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 06:43:21 am »

You can get the free subscription to LAST FM and let MC26 scrobble your plays.  You can pull it up pretty easily there.

Interesting.

It will be limited in the sense that it will not retrieve the playback history, but I think I will try this option for now.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up