INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does JRiver DLNA SERVER transcode?  (Read 1574 times)

swcng2001

• Recent member
Does JRiver DLNA SERVER transcode?
« on: June 05, 2020, 02:43:43 am »

Hello everyone, I’ve been a long time user of JRiver though I’ve never pushed it beyond playing to a DAC (iFi MICRO iDSD BL) directly connected via USB. I have MC26 installed on an iMac and recently purchased a Naim Mu-so Qb 2 as a renderer for use in another room when I’m not chained to my Mac. Everything seems to connect well and the Muso has found the JRiver server and vice versa.

I have tons on files in FLAC format. The Muso is capable of decoding many different formats including FLAC up to 196 kHz and yet when I direct JRiver to stream to the Muso, it transcodes to MP3 (reported on the Muso). There is no such issue with my directly connected DAC.

Is there something in the JRiver configuration that I need to do to ensure there is no transcoding? I am a real purist when it comes to my music 😁😁, or am I stuck with the crippled MP3 format. I’m also asking the Naim user forum about this problem.

Thanks.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Does JRiver DLNA SERVER transcode?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 03:20:27 am »

Yes, you can configure the DLNA server to transcode or not, it's your preference.

Look in Add or configure DLNA servers in Media Network options.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 04:42:19 am »

As implied, in dlna settings, put mode as “specified output format” and the format as pcm 24 bit.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 05:31:26 pm »

Actually, "Original" is the audio mode you want. The FLAC files will then be sent untouched.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 06:44:04 pm »

Media Center's default DLNA server converts everything to mp3, I guess to make sure it will always play. Unless I created it myself (which I don't recall doing), there's also a DLNA server named "Audiophile 24-bit DAC". I use this to play to my Muso Qb, with the audio mode set to "Specified output format" , the format set to PCM 24-bit, and DSP studio's output format set to convert everything to 44,100 Hz with the exception of 48,000 Hz and 96,000 Hz set to convert to 48,000 Hz. That way all my files play, whether they're hi res, DSD, or standard FLAC. My Muso is the generation 1 model, so if yours is newer check the specs to see what formats it supports.

Once you've got the DLNA server configured, right-click on the Muso under Playing Now and associate it with the desired DLNA server. Media Center is really very good here, so it's a pity the default converts everything to mp3.

swcng2001

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 09:16:05 pm »

Hello everyone,

Thanks for helping out.

I found that there was a mistake in my DLNA server config. So I created another as suggested by @DJLegba and everything worked correctly.

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up