INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Send message problem with Girder GML  (Read 2545 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Send message problem with Girder GML
« on: April 19, 2003, 12:14:40 pm »

Hi!
When I use the send message controls (which I prefer) Girder locks totally up if the *** "Please select files to play" window comes up. It takes commands, because the second I click away that window, all commands I have pressed in between pressing play and closing the window comes in a row. Does anybody know why? I tried to make a function that killed the window, but came nowhere. "Can not find window". So if I press play where there's nothing in the play list, I will have to go into that computer with a monitor and check why nothing is playing. That's just not acceptable. I have vented this in the bug thread (a wish for choice on wether that window should come up) but I guess it's not a very high priority. It's no problem for people using MC as a regular computer program, but I want to use it without monitors and that kind of stuff. Usually all my "Playing now" has files in them, but there can be an empty one by accident, and then my wife goes nuts...again... Does anybody have any good suggestions or (preferably) solutions?

Thanks in advance
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
Re: Send message problem with Girder GML
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2003, 09:27:51 pm »

FWIW, I've noticed this too. I got the dialog when passing a sequence number outside of the available range. Matt mentioned that that particular problem has been fixed, but I admit I haven't tried it in a while.

I'm not sure what the ultimate solution could be. I'd hate to supress error dialogs just because we've gone "behind-the-scenes", but it would help. Maybe an auto-dimissal after x seconds?

Hmmmm....

Brad

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2003, 10:28:39 pm »

Well, I had a message at the Girder board yesterday about that, here's some of it:

I can't find the window! I find it in the target box, but when I get back to the regular Girder, I get "cannot find window" every time, even with "Match invisible tasks" checked.

Do you have any way to close the window up your sleeve? If you do, I can just add it to a multi-group for each command with a 1 sec wait in the meantime. Still I think those darn (that word won't be cencored, right?) windows should be an option. I can't remember any other software player that has that behaviour.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 03:59:52 am »

Do you have any way to close the window up your sleeve? If you do, I can just add it to a multi-group for each command with a 1 sec wait in the meantime. Still I think those darn (that word won't be cencored, right?) windows should be an option. I can't remember any other software player that has that behaviour.

I'm not at my machine now to verify this, but I would start by doing a match on one of the child processes. My guess is that a dialog box is spawned by a main process, so if you are just matching on application name (regardless of invisibility), it won't match...

I've thought more about it, and I think you're right. If there's nothing to play, then don't play--there should be no need to warn us about it. :)

Best,
Brad

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2003, 04:08:52 am »

I am watching the child process, Warning, #32770, Media Jukebox.e (why not .exe? I have no idea). Anyway, I got it working on my Win2K computer and one of the XP computers, maybe I did something wrong yesterday (it was pretty late, and I was tired...). I'll have to check the carputer again.

Anyway, Matt, if you're listening: Please remove that thing! If you're a on the computer where you want to play, you'll see that nothing is in "Playing now", if you're using IR remotes it's a big problem!

Benjamin0

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 01:48:48 am »

Hi,

I use grider to control MJ9, with the "Mjextman Commands" menu. It's works well.
But i'm curious of the utility of th" Wmessages Commande Menu" in the same package.
How can i use it?
is it really better , if yes why?

thanks for your answer

Benjamin

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 04:39:58 pm »

I use grider to control MJ9, with the "Mjextman Commands" menu. It's works well.
But i'm curious of the utility of th" Wmessages Commande Menu" in the same package.
How can i use it?
is it really better , if yes why?

It's basically a matter of style. They do the exact same things, but the Mjextman commands require the presence of the mjextman.exe helper program (which is installed by default by MC). The Windows Messaging commands rely only on internal Windows behavior, so (theoretically) it cuts out one step in the command chain.

I personally use the Messaging commands combined with a couple of specialized mjextman commands.

I don't think there is a strong technological reason for choosing one over the other.

Best,
Brad

Benjamin0

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2003, 12:44:34 am »

Thank you very much for your answer. I understand almost everything.

Juts a litle last question: how to start "mjextman.exe" ? i don't find it with Media Jukebox 9

thank again

Benjamin

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2003, 12:54:27 am »

bspachman,
was there any reason that you did not include a "Launch MC9" command in your GML file? Did not find any command to start MC9!

Of course I can easily add it myself, but for the sake of completeness it would be nice to have it right away!

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2003, 08:20:22 am »

Perhaps because it's installed in so many different directories. In Norway the program directory is c:\Programfiler..., in Sweden it's c:\program... and so on. And if you have upgraded a MBJ installation, it will be in j.river\Media Jukebox, not Media Center. So it's really no point in adding it, in my opinion.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2003, 08:46:48 am »

Would it make sense to include Brad's work (the latest GML zip) with each release of Media Center?  It might make support a little easier.

Let us know.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2003, 11:52:37 am »

To Matt:

Definitely! Every extra step a user has to make to get what he wants and needs is a minus point to the product.
Basically, when I install new software, I would like to have everything in place. I dislike software that right after installation you need to search the net to get all the goodies!
For a newbie it takes a lot of time to find out about remote control, girder, gml and searching interact and avs-forum.
You have to bring the goodies to the user! The user might not know that they are hidden somewhere. If you go in a shop, you buy the stuff displayed on the shelves, not the stuff in the ware house!

To Mastiff:
You can start MC9 with the mjextman command and this one is always in %SYSTEMROOT%\system32, so it would be no problem to add it.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2003, 11:59:58 am »

I agree, let the GML follow the product it controls! So what about those annoying popup windows, Matt?  ;D

SterlingY

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2003, 12:48:51 pm »

I imported the MC9 GML into Girder, and if I test a command, it works fine. The problem I have is associating my remote buttons to the commands.

I go into learn mode, and it adds an eventstring, but this doesn't seem to be what I want.

I'm a newbie, so the answer is probably obvious.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

SterlingY

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2003, 01:13:07 pm »

I solved my own problem by making multigroups and dragging the MC9 commands into the Multigroup.

There must be a better way?!

-Sterling

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2003, 09:28:01 pm »

Sure, include the GML in the distribution.... Matt, you can email me to set this up in the next week or so.

As for starting/stopping--the main reason I didn't include it is because the only way is with mjextman. I didn't want to break the symmetry of mjextman/WinMessages. Also, lots of people with existing GMLs have particular ways of starting up all of their apps, so I didn't see the point. I'll throw in startup/shutdown commands in the next version.

Best,
Brad

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2003, 09:32:54 pm »

I imported the MC9 GML into Girder, and if I test a command, it works fine. The problem I have is associating my remote buttons to the commands.

I go into learn mode, and it adds an eventstring, but this doesn't seem to be what I want.

I don't know quite what the problem is. I haven't the faintest idea why multigroups would work when the original commands wouldn't. What kind of IR hardware are you using? Have you tried the Girder "Getting Started" guide at www.girder.nl?

When you select a command & click the "Learn Event" button, an eventstring is always added. The way to determine if there was a successful learn is in the status bar at the bottom of the Girder window where it'll say something like "IR Event Captured". It sounds to me like there's a configuration problem in Girder somewhere, but I can't guess where.... Make sure your input hardware is enabled, etc., etc.

Good luck!
Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up