INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing Remotely  (Read 886 times)

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
Playing Remotely
« on: June 13, 2020, 11:28:22 am »

Wow After doing some research I found this really neat thing called House Band. (been around over 4 years)

I Installed the trial version #26 (I went from 9 to 20) and never saw a need to upgrade as only listen to my old music.

Got everything running.. Went to the other room and said “Launch Media Center”  Play Willie Nelson
My computer started playing the music
That is not what I expected..

Looked for “what did I do wrong”.. Well Nothing That is what it does ..
.  After some help I found out about .https://jriver.com/panel.html
I did get this to work with an old laptop ..
Not what I wanted..
Version 26 was a little easier to use but works about the same for me in version 20.

I really liked the idea of using my echo input hooked to my wireless headset.
I do woodworking so I don't want the laptop in the shop.

For curiosity. Is this a technical, political, or Money issue to have something like this work with Alexa to get the sound to play at the device.
There is a way to compare tags

[=isequal([band],[album])]=1

thanks marko

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Playing Remotely
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 02:32:19 pm »

house band was a guy who didn't work for JRiver, he developed and supported it...seems to of faded away.

just a thought
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 11:55:12 am »

My original Subject was Very Disappointed.. Some one changed it.. But I am disappointed in no reply from anyone at JRiver.

MC supports direct voice control. I don't use it so I don't know how well it works.

You may also want to extol on your setup and devices because it is hard to understand what you are trying to accomplish. Amazon/Alexa is a walled garden, there is not much incentive for JRiver to support it when there are plenty of networking capabilities built into MC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 11:56:40 am »

Most remotes that work with MC can play remotely.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Remotes

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 12:25:22 pm »

MC supports direct voice control. I don't use it so I don't know how well it works.

You may also want to extol on your setup and devices because it is hard to understand what you are trying to accomplish. Amazon/Alexa is a walled garden, there is not much incentive for JRiver to support it when there are plenty of networking capabilities built into MC.

MC supports very limited direct voice control.  It was a one time trial with only one voice command to play music on the server, not a full implementation.

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 12:34:37 pm »

I do not find any voice controlled remotes that will play music other than House Band, and it only runs the computer.

I saw that Whole House SONOS Control is working via JRiver Media Center and House Band Alexa Skill
But I don't want to spend 200 ..

From this reply
Amazon/Alexa is a walled garden, there is not much incentive for JRiver to support it when there are plenty of networking capabilities built into MC.

I will back off and give this a try.. http://www.mymediaalexa.com/

I have had trouble communicating with the form  for 18 years.. My problem..not yours. Hard for a old machine language coder to use the correct words.

I just thought it wood be great to give voice commands thru alexa and listen to my music.

thanks marko

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 06:44:24 pm »

I am so sorry that I am this far away of what people want.  I guess that explains why I have not updated since version 20.  Have always had great results with help from everyone. Must be time for me to move on..  Thank for the good times.. Sorry that I no linger see any support for where I am at this time.. wish the designers well, But for me still do not understand if political.or technical..   for those that read this I again  I say sorry to take up your time.

thanks marko

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 04:54:01 pm »

Come on Keystone, I started with punched cards and progressed from there, so you are but a young chick. If I was you I would upgrade to MC 26 and use the SOX resampler in audio. I wouldn't despair over houseband as it is a devil to get working consistently. Get a cheap network streamer to put n your workshop and some cheap powered speakers. It isn't as if you are going to be appreciating the finer points of the music in the clamour of hammer, lathe, drill and plane noises in the workshop. If you are worried about your laptop being inundated with wood shavinggs you only need to place it under a plastic cover.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 09:02:25 am »

I sit on my noodle in the pool listening to music. I decide I want to listen to something different - so "Alexa play Jimmy Buffet on Pool Speakers" and the music changes to Jimmy Buffet on my wireless pool speakers, all in exact sync, using Alexa and Sonos and Amazon Music. And the Sonos interface gets casted to the pool TV. Times change. No more turntable or punch cards. Keyboards are fine for serious listening but voice is becoming a common interface especially for casual listening.

KeystoneCop

• Galactic Citizen
  • I hate computers..
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 10:00:22 am »

BigSpider I started with punch cards as well. I coded pre IBM System/3S0 Basic Operating System
Wrote operating system level code to do multitasking (running 12 applications at a time long before anyone else .   

I don't wish either of that on anyone.

Why do you think staying in the dark ages with music is so great.. I understand people still wanting a turntable.
  I don't.
I decided just to go with Amazon music. They have more music than I do anyway.

thanks marko

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 05:09:35 pm »

I quite enjoy my alexas around the house using amazon music and as you say they have more music than I, plus you can now stream cd quality and some hires stuff as well. Be happy and enjoy the music.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......
Pages: [1]   Go Up