INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Get Media Server Mode to Stop Intecepting Volume Media Keys  (Read 808 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

On my HTPC, for a very long while, I've always had MC set up to handle Media Keys in Automatic mode. This has always worked and done exactly what I want: Route the keyboard/remote-control volume Up/Down keys to MC while it was running, and to the OS when it was not.

However, I also never had MC set up in Media Server mode (to stay running constantly on the system in the tray). My real, home Library Server has never been the HTPC, and so I had my remote programmed to close MC automatically with the "Power Off" command.

However, when I upgraded to MC26, I chose to enable MC's Media Server mode (with it still connected to my Home Library Server's actual Library), so that it would: (1) launch a little bit faster, (2) ensure playstats get properly saved back to the Library Server when we close MC without stopping playback, and (3) allow me to start up and remote control the playback of MC on the HTPC with JRemote and the Web Interface. That's all been great.

But since then, my volume control on the HTPC has been totally broken. I've tried all of the settings for Media Key handling in MC, both with and without the (seemingly exactly what I need) Translate Media Keys in Media Server mode option, and NONE seem to replicate my previous behavior of: send volume commands to MC when it is foreground, and to the OS when it is closed (which now means in Media Server tray-icon mode). I get:
* With Automatic and Hotkey modes (no matter if the Translate option is on or off): if MC is running (open or server), it steals the Media Keys.
* With Hotkey (ignore volume): the same, except now it ignores all Volume commands entirely (and these, but only these get passed to the OS).
* With App Commands mode: it isn't functional for me at all.

Is something broken? Am I broken? Why can't I get this to work?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Can't Get Media Server Mode to Stop Intecepting Volume Media Keys
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 08:49:54 am »

Bump. I can't change the system volume on my HTPC with my remote at all right now, so this is A Big Deal.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 10:00:58 am »

What's the problem if you just pass the volume keys to the system?  Since you don't want MC to handle them all the time, that seems ideal.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 07:14:22 pm »

Because I use MC in (the recommended) WASAPI Exclusive Access with Maximize Device Volume enabled, and Internal Volume. So...

* If I disable MC's handling of Media Keys I can't turn MC's volume up or down while MC is running and playing things.
* If I enable MC's handling of Media Keys I can't turn the system volume up or down while MC is in Media Server mode (which is how I'm running now, but it is really annoying when I play a YouTube video or a game).

I just don't understand why Options > General > Advanced > Translate hot keys when running as Media Server doesn't seem to do anything at all. If I quit out of MC, then my system volume control comes back, but if it is running in Media Server mode, it steals all of the Media Key inputs no matter how that option is set.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 08:38:09 pm »

I'm going to put out a build on beta you can test.  I'm going to try fully disengaging if that option is off instead of just turning off the handling.  Please let me know.  Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 09:53:50 pm »

26.0.98 (6/26/2020)
1. Changed: Trying to fully disable and re-enable hot keys if the option "Translate hot keys when running as Media Server" is not set.

Nice. This may change the way I use MC on my Workstation. There have been a lot of threads asking for help in this area, and trying to understand how the Media Key functionality is supposed to work, particularly with Media Server.

I'll let Glynor test for his use case, but a quick test here seems to work as intended.

One issue I have always had when using the Media Server is the if I open MC to select what to play, with the Media Server running, when I close MC it stops playback. I always hoped it would continue playback. But with Media Keys on, hitting pressing the Play key starts playing what is in Playing Now anyway.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 03:59:41 pm »

I'm going to put out a build on beta you can test.  I'm going to try fully disengaging if that option is off instead of just turning off the handling.  Please let me know.  Thanks.

Yes. This fixed it 100%. Thanks!!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 04:05:11 pm »

Thanks for the good news :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up