INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Screen Freezes Then Stretches Out  (Read 2838 times)

littlegreenalien

• Recent member
JRiver Screen Freezes Then Stretches Out
« on: July 11, 2020, 04:27:42 am »

When using jriver my screen freezes, shows hourglass, then stretches out and then back to normal. Does this mostly when I use the mouse or sometimes on its own. This happens frequently. Never had this issue with my other PC. Is there a solution to this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver Screen Freezes Then Stretches Out
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 08:32:39 am »

Odd problem.  What are you doing when it happens?

The hesitation could be related to a problem reading the disc.  Or something else.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 10:01:20 am »

Have had similar problem for years through many versions of Windows & hardware.

Have reported it a very long time ago but no real resolve.

I believe it is a side effect of having my Task Bar on the left of the screen as I never encountered it when the Task Bar was on the bottom or top.

What happens on my setup is...
   a: The screen stretches all the way to the left covering the task Bar.
   b: The screen goes white (indicating a problem).
   c: A screen pops up saying that MC26 is not responding (Wait for program to respond or close the program).
   d: It sits there for up to a minute.
   e: Screen eventually releases & goes back to normal.

Wish it would get fixed as it happens a lot & is a real pain 🥵
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Dmytro

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 05:53:07 am »

Have had similar problem for years through many versions of Windows & hardware.

Have reported it a very long time ago but no real resolve.

I believe it is a side effect of having my Task Bar on the left of the screen as I never encountered it when the Task Bar was on the bottom or top.

What happens on my setup is...
   a: The screen stretches all the way to the left covering the task Bar.
   b: The screen goes white (indicating a problem).
   c: A screen pops up saying that MC26 is not responding (Wait for program to respond or close the program).
   d: It sits there for up to a minute.
   e: Screen eventually releases & goes back to normal.

Wish it would get fixed as it happens a lot & is a real pain 🥵

Happens to me often, also across versions and different machines. MC seems to do this in all the 'odd' read/write/connect situations - e.g. when server goes offline, or when trying to change views while analysing/importing audio (hence the drive is busy). Also, it happens often on a work laptop, which runs Symantec Endpoint protection. My other machines have no antivirus whatsoever, incl. disabled windows defender.

I have learnt to accept it, although a 'busy' indicator somewhere would be much better.
Taskbar is at the bottom. 

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 09:39:44 am »

Also happens here often. Not a "workflow breaker", but it's annoying sometimes.

I'm on Windows 10 and MC26 (64 bit), but this issue was happening with prior versions too. I can't retrace when it started though.

Conrad

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 04:42:59 pm »

Yup, happens to me too on multiple machines. I suspect it's network related, reading in the library or something. It hazes out, stretches out to obscure the task bar. Sometimes it recovers, sometimes it doesn't.

I'd happily upload a log next time it happens if that would help debug it?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 08:38:54 am »

One case this happens (100% reproducible on my setup) is when you have files located on a network share/NAS that is currently offline. When the file is accessed with the NAS offline, MC hangs for about 30 seconds with the above symptoms.

This just happens with offline NAS servers - if the server is online but the file doesn't exist, it works as expected. But trying to access some offline network server causes this issue.

I guess it can also happen if only the cover or other resource is located on some offline share, even if the main file is accessible.

To check if this is the case, just go to a List view and sort by File path, then check if you have some files with paths pointing to offline/wrong network paths.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 02:19:55 pm »

I guess it can also happen if only the cover or other resource is located on some offline share, even if the main file is accessible.
This.
That's why it would great if movie and tv show covers could also be configured in MC to be saved to desired folder like you can with audio albums. Currently it is very cumbersome to browse movies or tv shows while NAS is sleeping

DangerJP

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 03:25:20 pm »

Ok, that would explain my issue.

All my files, including cover art and album covers, are located on a NAS and are accessed by MC via mapped network drives.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 03:33:11 pm »

I have this issue mainly after waking computer from sleep.

Most of the time a dialog box will display Analyzing Devices (or something like that).  After that dialog box closes, it seems to be looking for additional auto-discovered devices via DLNA, and that's when the UI freezes / screen stretch manifests.   

Perhaps some further device analysis going on that should take place when the "Analyzing device" dialog is displayed? 

I have all of my files stored locally, so this has nothing to do with NAS for me. 
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 09:46:05 pm »

What is your video hardware?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 10:23:48 pm »

Currently it is very cumbersome to browse movies or tv shows while NAS is sleeping

This shouldn't be an issue when just browsing as MC is displaying thumbnails from the thumbnail database then, and not the Cover Art. MC doesn't need access to the original Cover Art to browse the Library.

The OP's issue has been around forever, discussed many times, and is yet to see any resolution. It is Windows deciding that MC isn't responding when it is waiting for something. It would be nice if MC recognised that a resource wasn't available, popped up a message, and prevented Windows from messing up the screen and prompting to close MC.

It really doesn't matter what the slow resource is, MC should handle the situation better.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Dmytro

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 04:01:05 am »

What is your video hardware?

Intel® HD Graphics 530, Intel® HD Graphics 620, NVIDIA Quadro T1000, Intel® UHD Graphics 630

littlegreenalien

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 04:35:02 am »

I got a few responses and tells me I am not alone. This still happens, but not as much. I lost playlists from my last PC. So I had to redo them again. This was mostly during that time. By either moving mouse or clicking or dragging songs up the playlist or going to my library etc. Pretty much anything I was doing it would happen. I did uninstall and reinstall 2 times.

My hardware is Intel® Core™ i7-8565U (1.8 GHz base frequency, up to 4.6 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)

- Intel® UHD Graphics 620
   - Integrated

HP Notebook 17-by1972cl

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 08:22:33 am »

Try increasing the amount of "shared memory" the GPU is allowed to use. Intel "Integrated GPU's" are notorious for being "Underperformers"!
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 09:26:30 am »

This has nothing to do with the GPU. It's as Roderick said, MC stops responding (because it's waiting for some resource) and Windows does that blank-out/stretch thing when you click on the app and it doesn't respond. If the app is not responding for 30 seconds or more you get that popup "this app is not responding, do you want to wait or close it?". Eventually that resource times out and MC comes back to life.

The fault is MC doing system calls on the UI/MessageLoop thread, not expecting them to take that long to come back.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 09:42:38 am »

This.
That's why it would great if movie and tv show covers could also be configured in MC to be saved to desired folder like you can with audio albums. Currently it is very cumbersome to browse movies or tv shows while NAS is sleeping

You can do that with ZRatings, it lets you define a common Poster folder. For movies, at least. There's also a context-menu option to move existing posters to the common folder (and back).

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 09:48:48 am »

You can do that with ZRatings, it lets you define a common Poster folder. For movies, at least. There's also a context-menu option to move existing posters to the common folder (and back).
I know and thanks for that. It isn't automatic though and there is still series which jams MC while it is trying to access files that aren't there just then.

This shouldn't be an issue when just browsing as MC is displaying thumbnails from the thumbnail database then, and not the Cover Art. MC doesn't need access to the original Cover Art to browse the Library.
It is. Movies views stopped causing this jamming once I used ZRatings to move cover art to local drive. Series still have the issue because image files are on sleeping server (or sleeping local hd)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 10:23:15 am »

I've had this happen for years with many JRiver versions and was using the Noire skin. It would happen when opening JRiver. I recently switched to using Modern Cards Dark Edition and haven't noticed the issue. However, it happened so intermittently that it probably isn't skin related. I don't use a NAS, but have demo files on an external hard drive that isn't always attached.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2020, 11:21:40 am »

I don't use a NAS, but have demo files on an external hard drive that isn't always attached.
Unavailable drives could do strange things.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 01:02:49 pm »

Unavailable drives could do strange things.

Indeed, that's why we need to consider that scenario when coding an application.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2020, 07:33:32 pm »

It is. Movies views stopped causing this jamming once I used ZRatings to move cover art to local drive. Series still have the issue because image files are on sleeping server (or sleeping local hd)

This should be investigated then. MC should not need access to the original Cover Art file while browsing. Unless, of course, you are popping up the Tooltip for the movie, and it references the Cover Art file directly. A distinct possibility given the work you have done with the Tooltip and Theatre View displays. Maybe some Theatre View Views do use he full Cover Art image size, and hence access the Cover Art file directly. I'm not sure on that point. They should just use the large Thumbnail size.

Does the issue happen for Movie Views where you don't view the Tooltip?

It certainly shouldn't happen for TV Series where the Cover Art is stored in the Cover Art directory, which should be on a local drive. If the local drive is sleeping, that is your choice in Windows configuration, and it shouldn't take long enough to spin up and cause this issue anyway.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2020, 07:54:35 pm »

This should be investigated then. MC should not need access to the original Cover Art file while browsing. Unless, of course, you are popping up the Tooltip for the movie, and it references the Cover Art file directly. A distinct possibility given the work you have done with the Tooltip and Theatre View displays. Maybe some Theatre View Views do use he full Cover Art image size, and hence access the Cover Art file directly. I'm not sure on that point. They should just use the large Thumbnail size.

Does the issue happen for Movie Views where you don't view the Tooltip?

It certainly shouldn't happen for TV Series where the Cover Art is stored in the Cover Art directory, which should be on a local drive. If the local drive is sleeping, that is your choice in Windows configuration, and it shouldn't take long enough to spin up and cause this issue anyway.
MC jams right away if one changes e.g. to tab which has inaccessible sidecar files (movie poster or tv show episode image) so it probably is related to view refresh. There is no need to trigger tooltip to cause the jam. I have also removed IsMissing from statusbar so that is not it either.

I don't know... Maybe action window's Tag will try to load sidecar image file even though field is collapsed. Posters and episode images are saved next to actual video files. For videos only series and season art can be configured to be saved to specific folder or actually it seems to use folder which has been configured for audio cover art as a base folder.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2020, 08:48:04 pm »

MC should only need to access the Library and Thumbnail Database for all of the above. Unless, of course, the View has a field that directly refers to the Cover Art file.

The specific folder in the "Options > File Location > Cover Art" section of the settings is for all Cover Art not stored next to or inside files, not just Audio files. So Albums, Artists, Composers, Files, Genres, Seasons, Series, TV Logos, and Videos. (I think that is a complete list.  ;D)

Only the first setting "Audio Mode" applies only to audio files, where you have a choice in what to do with the original, external Cover Art files.

littlegreenalien

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2020, 11:15:13 pm »

Again in my situation--Mine freezes and stretches out showing hourglass and back to normal. Last about a few seconds. I don't get a white screen asking me to close the app. So from what I understand from all this is Windows 10 is not responding to MC quick enough. But this is strange because on my other PC, this was never an issue. Same setup is what I have now. Just a newer PC.

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2020, 02:58:52 am »

Maybe action window's Tag will try to load sidecar image file even though field is collapsed.
I guess this is it or at least one of the places. I removed Image group/tag (episode image, poster for movie) from action window's tag configuration and it seems that jamming stopped. So it seems that MC is trying to load image even though tag group which has the image is collapsed.

littlegreenalien

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 12:07:06 am »

**Update on this issue**

My laptop (Hp Notebook) did an BIOS update and it helped solve this issue. So anyone with their screen freezing for a few seconds and back to normal frequently, can do a BIOS update manually. Hope this helps.

Also, it works well on my SMSL DAC and I am able to do DSD 512 with no stuttering issues. Only if I surf the internet it can interfere. So I try to avoid that.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2020, 07:27:09 am »

Thanks for posting the solution.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2020, 10:08:55 am »

That's not THE solution but rather A solution to littlegreenalien's computer setup.

As I & many others have stated this has been a long-time problem going back over several versions of Windows, many computers, many motherboards & BIOS's.

It appears to me to simply be an MC problem that still needs to be fixed 🤪
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2020, 10:16:08 am »

Happens to me often, also across versions and different machines. MC seems to do this in all the 'odd' read/write/connect situations - e.g. when server goes offline, or when trying to change views while analysing/importing audio (hence the drive is busy). Also, it happens often on a work laptop, which runs Symantec Endpoint protection. My other machines have no antivirus whatsoever, incl. disabled windows defender.

I have learnt to accept it, although a 'busy' indicator somewhere would be much better.
Taskbar is at the bottom.
Same for me but with taskbar at the left. Seeing this for years now, but, as you say, only when MC is "very" busy.

It always happens when loading a complex view based on an expression and my PC is doing something else at the same time so that MC doesn't get all the power and it takes longer to update the filelist. A little freezing is ok I guess (since it is doing quiet a hard job ;) ) though MC is the only app I can remember that does this stretching thing. As I see MC stretching for years now, I had some different BIOS/Graphic/Audio Driver versions and two machines. Of course most the time with no or a well configured Virus Scanner.
I'm not absolutly sure about this but I think I remember that MC at some time a long time ago changed the way the UI was created in a fundamentel way and there it started to behave that way.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2020, 12:40:24 pm »

Of course this is not new. It's been happening for at least 10 years, and has been reported often, and at least one time with video. I've seen this on at least 50 different computers, with or without NAS devices. I've found it so common that I am surprised there could be any people to whom it doesn't happen. I've just learned to live with it, and I hope nobody notices it happening while I am telling them how great MC is. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up