INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nvidia Shield and Cloudplay  (Read 1205 times)

lightsout

• World Citizen
Nvidia Shield and Cloudplay
« on: July 04, 2020, 01:35:37 pm »

Trying to figure out the best way to use cloudplay. I no longer have a Windows machine in my living room. All my my mobile devices are iOS. I have a Denon avr with a Nvidia shield. I bought the Android TV app but honestly it leaves a lot to be desired. And from what I can tell all audio is played back at 48khz.

Any recommendations on how to go straight to a Denon receiver.

I do have a Windows server running in the garage that has jriver with Network capabilities running.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Nvidia Shield and Cloudplay
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 01:50:22 pm »

You should be able to get it working with the Shield.  There is a new build in beta on the Play Store.

48kHz is fine for playback.

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 05:45:18 pm »

But most of the files should be 44.1. Even the high res files we're down sampled to 48. Kind of kills the idea of lossless audio when it's being messed with somewhere in the audio chain.

Are you guys ever planning on doing something to avoid this limitation in Android?

I tried the Android TV app but felt like it wasn't ready for prime time. Tons of flashing when the app opens, played a radio stream and nothing would stop the audio. Even killed the app and it played in the background. Had to start playback in another app to get it to stop.

I was able to play an imported cloud play playlist but a horizontal list going across the screen of the songs wasn't really practical to use. I didn't dig much to see if there was a list view. Appreciate that you guys are making this app happen. Looking forward to progress that is made.

Curious why no love for iOS as far as cloudplay?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 05:58:48 pm »

44.1 or 48 kHz are both lossless.  They aren't compressed.  They are sample rates. 

Sometimes a playback device only works at 48 kHz, so the audio has to be up-sampled.  There is no loss involved.

Cloudplay does work with iOS.  You might try Panel.

There are a lot of cases here, with several remotes, several OS's, playback in either direction, and to DLNA devices, audio and video, etc..  We're gradually getting them all working.

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 06:25:54 pm »

I was really just looking for a go between from the server to the receiver, that would be enough. I tried panel
just now but I do not see cloudplay there. Do I need to import palylists for them to show up?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 06:37:51 pm »

With Panel, use the settings icon to switch playback to the server (Player).  Then you'll see Cloudplay.  You can then play on the server.

Cloudplay shows you playlists that you've uploaded, and playlists others have uploaded.

Could you take a step back and explain what you're trying to do.  Include details on your setup. 

I will probably move this to a new thread.

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 11:51:13 pm »

Sure. I have a file server that runs jriver where the media is stored. This server is headless with no audio or video connected.

In my living room I have a Denon x3500 with a 5.2 setup. There is an Nvidia shield in this setup that I use for media playback.

I just want to somehow play cloudplay music in my living room with this setup. When I try to send music with dlna to the Denon from cloudplay the receiver says it's not supported. Although I can send local flac to the Denon over dlna from jriver just fine.

I thought the Android TV app works take care of this. But it seemed to be in the very early stages.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 07:33:29 am »

Please try the Beta version of JRiver for Android.

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 10:27:03 am »

How do I get the beta?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 11:28:23 am »

Try searching for beta on the playstore.  You should find instructions.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 12:53:33 pm »

If your Denon is DLNA renderer and is connected to your home network ... you can use JRemote on iOS to select what you want to play from your server then send it directly to Denon ... if your Denon support 44.1 then your 44.1 stuff will be sent untouched to Denon

PS. lots of argument whether up sampling of 44.1 stuff to 48 is noticeable ... Apple does not seems to think so as their AppleTV doesnt suppot 44.1 and upsample it to 48 ... most of purist will choose not to upsample 44.1 :)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 12:56:40 pm »

most of purist will choose not to upsample 44.1 :)
Sometimes there is no other way to play to a device.

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 07:09:51 pm »

If your Denon is DLNA renderer and is connected to your home network ... you can use JRemote on iOS to select what you want to play from your server then send it directly to Denon ... if your Denon support 44.1 then your 44.1 stuff will be sent untouched to Denon

PS. lots of argument whether up sampling of 44.1 stuff to 48 is noticeable ... Apple does not seems to think so as their AppleTV doesnt suppot 44.1 and upsample it to 48 ... most of purist will choose not to upsample 44.1 :)
I can do that. It works fine with local media. But when I try to do so with cloudplay imported playlists (the only way I see I can use cloudplay from jremote) I get an error every time on the receiver that it is unsupported. Not sure if the cloudplay stream is different than local flac. Is the cloudplay stream pcm?

Btw I'm on jriver 25 if that matters. I know there was some cloudplay updates in 26.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 04:42:07 pm »

I think, but may be wrong, that MC25 didn't support playing a cloudplay playlist over DLNA, but MC26 certainly does.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 01:53:52 pm »

I think, but may be wrong, that MC25 didn't support playing a cloudplay playlist over DLNA, but MC26 certainly does.
Yeah I’m wondering if that’s what the problem is. I haven’t upgraded since everything else is working as it should. Haven't seen the need.
Pages: [1]   Go Up