INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help setting up Portable Library for an external HD  (Read 9665 times)

tangolovers

• World Citizen
Need help setting up Portable Library for an external HD
« on: July 13, 2020, 10:09:55 pm »

Hi,

I need to create a Portable Library of my music (and playlists) on an external/portable HD so I can easily play it from my 2 Windows-PC's or my MAC which all have MC26 installed (with my Master MC license).

My main MC library and music files are located on one of my PC's.  I have copied my Music folder/files and the MC library backup to external HD (Drive B) in order to connect it to my other machines and play it from there.  I am trying to use the Portable Library feature, but cannot figure out how and I can't find instructions anywhere.  I tried experimenting with the Portable Library Rule but cannot get it to work property.       

What I have tried so far on both my MAC and a 2nd PC (but nothing worked):

1) I performed a Library Restore from HD B, then

2) I selected File > Library > Portable Library and tried multiple times to set up a rule (but can't find an instructions).  I tried every which which way...  for example:
     oOn my MAC Rule 1 = C:\users\susie\Music\My Music|/Volumes/B/Music/My Music
     on my other PC Rule 1 = C:\users\susie\Music\My Music|E:\Music\My Music

3) Ran File Import

In both cases (PC & MAC) Everything appears to play and the paths look like they got converted correctly which is encouraging...  However, none of my playlists transferred at all.  :-\   I feel like I'm close, but obviously doing something very wrong. 

Any help in setting up with portable library would be very much appreciated!!

Thank you,
Susie
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Need help setting up Portable Library for an external HD
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 01:35:59 pm »

You're on the right track setting up a Portable Library.

A rule like this should work properly:
C:\users\susie\Music\My Music|/Volumes/B/Music/My Music

You should be able to start playback of a file in that path after the rule if it's right.  If it's not, double-check closely for what might be going wrong.

Playlists should ride along no problem since you're loading the same library with the playlists.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 08:56:33 pm »

Hi Matt,

Thank you so much for your response!!  First, I figure I should let you know I have the same thread going on under Windows because I am trying to go Portable from PC-to-PC and PC-to-Mac and I know I'd likely not get too many answers regarding the Mac on the Windows forum.  ;D  So forgive me, but I wasn't sure if there was a better way of going about getting the help I need.  Similar thread on Windows:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126128.0.html

Back the the issue at hand. On my Mac, I tried multiple rules just like you state below.  I even just tried using the syntax that is specified in the Portable Library banner:  Rule 1 = E: to /Volumes/ESD-USB/, where there's a slash at the end of the Mac portion of the rule...  Doesn't seem to make sense but I tried that as well.  Here are examples of what I've tried:

C:\users\susie|/Volumes/E
C:\users\susie\|/Volumes/E/
C:\users\susie/Volumes/E/

C:\users\susie\Music|/Volumes/E/Music
C:\users\susie\Music\|/Volumes/E/Music/
C:\users\susie\Music|/Volumes/E/Music/

Nothing I have tried has worked andI have double & triple checked everything I can think of.  I did a Library restore before adding or changing rules.  I can see all of the audio files.  My main PC#1 has 8124 and my Mac is displaying 8125 (not sure why there's one extra, but it's the least of my worries).  All of my playlists seem to be in tact with the right file counts, so I am very optimistic.  The problem is, every audio file has a "-" next to it and they return a "File could not be found" error. 

Diverging for a moment...  Something similar happened on my PC#2.   I tried every rule & syntax I could think of syntax and nothing worked until I resorted to RM&CF, which I thought Portable Library was meant to eliminate.  Initially many, not all, audio files had "-" but everything played!  Finally after a reboot everything mysteriously appeared perfect!  No audio with "-" and everything plays, but it I think RM&CF had something to do with it.   I did notice on my PC#2(no audio files stored locally), after adding a Portable Library rule, the Audio View always points to C:\users\susie, but in RM&CF under Original column it shows the correct path of E:\users\susie\Music\My Music\...   Whereas on my Mac, after adding a Portable Library rule, both the Audio View & RM&CF Original column point to C:\users\susie\....    see the following attachments:

Attach1:  PC#2 RM&CF View - "Original" path points to correct path E:\Music...
Attach2:  Mac AudioView - path points to original path C:\users\susie\Music... I think this is correct
Attach3:  Mac RM&CF - "Original" path still points to C:\users\susie\Music...

What I wonder is how in the heck is MC even seeing the audio files on "E" if the paths are not displayed correctly anywhere. 

I also ran a right-click > Locate > On disk (external) for a few of the audio files and they all returned "file does not exist". 

I'm at a dead end, no fresh ideas.  Any suggestions?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 09:14:51 pm »

Rules aside, can you share a filename if you just import directly on the Mac?  And what is the same filename on Windows?  I'm hoping we can figure out the right rule.  Thanks.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 11:26:30 am »

Hi Matt,

Forgive me, I'm not sure I understand your question... but let me try...  Are you asking if the "Filename" in MC appears differently on Mac vs PC?  To the best of my knowledge, no.  As to how it imports, I'm not sure if I can answer that question.  I will tell you what I have done successfully in the past, let me know if that helps:

Previously I was storing the Music files locally on both Mac & PC, but due to space considerations on my Mac I need to change that.  That's why I started with Portable Library, not to mention a simpler way offing things.  I simply copied Audio files/structure & Library Backup from PC to External HD to Mac.  Then with help from the forum I developed a procedure that worked fairly well.  Of course I had to use RM&CF to do this.  Here's where I posted the detailed steps:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111695.msg771944.html#msg771944): 

As a side note.... at one point in time I did have some issues with filenames/folders because many of the foreign songs contained special characters (from foreign Music - French, Spanish, Polish etc) which would often insert an undetectable blank space.  What I mean by that is you cannot see the space until you go to edit the name (file or folder) and when the cursor gets to the special character suddenly you see an extra space that was not visible before).  Here's a link to where I got help solving this problem:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123158.msg853026.html#msg853026.

I'm not sure of the original cause of the special character issue, but one reason (of many) could be something to do with importing differences on Mac vs PC.
I know I had the issue on the PC and pretty sure on the Mac too.  Maybe this is the you mean by being able to "share" a Filename?   Perhaps with your guidance I could run an experiment re-importing some of these foreign songs between PC/Mac.  Of course I wouldn't be using my main source PC for this. There also were many other issues with my database that had to be remedied a result of my not knowing how to use MC correctly.

I hope I answered your questions... hopefully not TMI.   ;D

Thank you,
Susie

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 11:34:16 am »

I'm just trying to figure out if the translation rule we have going is right.

You had posted this:
C:\users\susie|/Volumes/E

So is there a file on Windows sitting at C:\users\susie and when you import on Mac is it at /Volumes/E?

Thanks.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 01:36:01 pm »

I have a feeling something is up with the translation rule because (to the best of my knowledge) I have done exactly the same steps on the Mac as I have on the PC with different results. 

Here are my steps on Mac:

1)   External HD “E” formatted on Mac using ExFat.  On Windows this same drive is seen as “E:”

2)   External HD "E" connected to PC#1 (main source) and Music DB copied to external HD “E” along with Library Backup.

3)   Auto Import turned turned off:  Tools > Options > Library & Folders > uncheck Run Run auto-import in background. 

4)   Restored Backup Library from external HD:   Library > Restore Library > using Library Backup on external HD. 

5)   Verified Auto-Import is still off.

6)   Added Portable Library Rule:  File > Library > Portable Library > Add Rule >
       On Mac:  Rule 1 = C:\users\susie|/Volumes/E:        

When that didn’t work, I tried C:\users\susie|/Volumes/E:/    (actual syntax indicated at top of Portable Library window).

So is there a file on Windows sitting at C:\users\susie and when you import on Mac is it at /Volumes/E?

I believe the answer is Yes...

Music path on PC#1:  C:\users\susie\Music\My Music\...  (source PC)
Music path on Mac:    /Volumes/E/Music/My Music/...   (Mac Finder displays path as E > Music > MyMusic...)

Actual name of external HD on Mac is E, but I think for MC/Portable Library requires syntax to be /Volumes/E...

My observation for what it's worth:
Using same steps and what I think are "equivalent" Portable Library Rule syntax on PC#2 & Mac....
Before establishing the PL Rule, RM&CF Original path is C:\users\susie on both PC#2 & Mac.
After I enter the PL Rule on PC#2 and Mac, RM&CF give different results as follows:   
     RM&CF Original Path for PC#2 now point to E:\Music\My Music\...
     RM&CF Original Path for Mac still point to C:\users\susie\Music\My Music\...   

So far PC#2 seems to be working perfectly, although there is one seemingly minor nuance that doesn't appear that doesn't appear to affect anything, but still sorting that out.  Here's the PL Rule syntax I used:

PC#2:  Rule 1 = C:\users\susie|E:  C:\users\susie|E
     Mac:    Rule 1 = C:\users\susie|/Volumes/E

FYI:  I had just modified/clarified my previous post at the same time you sent your last reply... sorry  :o

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 01:40:48 pm »

You say Finder shows this:
/Volumes/E/Music/My Music/

But you have this for your rule:
C:\users\susie|/Volumes/E:

Shouldn't it just be:
C:\users\susie\|/Volumes/E/

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 02:29:09 pm »

Sorry for any confusion - allow me to correct myself:

Mac Finder displays path as E > Music > MyMusic > ...  Finder doesn't actually display the syntax of /Volumes/E/Music/My Music/...

Portable Library Rule entered:
Rule 1 = C:\users\susie|/Volume/E    C:\users\susie|/Volumes/E  (it was a typo in previous post)

I also tried Portable Library Rule:
Rule 1 = C:\users\susie|/Volume/E/   C:\users\susie|/Volume/E/

Neither one worked.  :-\

I originally got the PL Rule syntax from the of the Portable Library Rule window which indicates:  'E:' to '/Volumes/ESD-USB' which I didn't really understand so I had to experiment a little, but that's how I came up with Rule = C:\users\susie|/Volumes/E.   

I have tried both with and w/o this "/" at the end. 
Unfortunately, I can't recall how the path looked on the Mac before deleting everything from local storage.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 02:34:10 pm »

Is it possible the difference between Volume and Volumes is getting us?

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 02:38:01 pm »

Yikes!!!  Sorry, just another typo in the posts.  I've been using "Volumes" all along, I just got sloppy in the posts.  See attachment.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 02:41:15 pm »

Maybe send me a library backup (matt at jriver) and I'll take a look at what filename we're trying after the conversion.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 02:43:56 pm »

Do I send by email or some other way?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 02:45:00 pm »

Yes, email to matt at jriver dot com.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 02:45:55 pm »

Done!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2020, 03:15:47 pm »

Thanks for the library.

It has just a few videos in it at this path:
/Users/susiemelo/Documents/My Documents/SUSIE/YOGA/Yoga1.mp4

So any translation rule would need to be built off that path.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2020, 04:35:14 pm »

I actually don't need any of those videos.  I will go to my source PC#2 and delete all of those now and resend a new library backup shortly - in case you need it. 

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2020, 04:57:04 pm »

I just deleted the videos from MC library & resent my new Library Backup to you.

Do you still think the translation rule needs to look like the one for the videos if they were located "locally" on my Mac HD.  That's the path on my Mac, not on the external HD.  Did this provide some new clues for the translation?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2020, 05:29:11 pm »

I think I figured it out.  We were replacing in the string, but matching case.

I'll do a build tomorrow and send it to you to test.

Wish us luck :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2020, 06:25:26 pm »

I sent you a build to test.  Please let us know.  Thanks a lot for all the help.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 09:04:00 pm »

Some screen shots of my Portable Library Rule and its translation...  for what it's worth.  I'm sure you've already got it figured out.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2020, 09:19:16 pm »

I see there has been a lot of activity over here!

I tested the new version on my Windows PC Matt, and the case sensitivity issue seems to have been dealt with.

It looks like the slash conversion for the specific OS is now an issue, although I thought MC already handled that. Maybe only in the RM&CF function, as per Susie's image above.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 11:13:35 pm »

Were the screenshots in Reply #20 on the test build?

I see you did use C:\Users\susie there.

Here is a hint. Customise Display in the Player Bar, and replace the "Stopped Mode: Title" section with the following expression:

removeright([App Name], 3) [App Version]

Then MC will show the full version number installed in the Player Bar when nothing is playing. I find that very handly.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2020, 12:13:45 am »

No, I was not able to install the test build as Matt indicated he sent me the Windows version, which I tried to install on my Mac...  :P

Yes, on the PC I guess I decided at one point to type it in exactly as I saw it the "U"users, unaware that it was really case sensitive.

Thanks for the hint!!   At first, I was totally baffled by your message, but after re-reading several times and looking around, I found it!!.   I'm on MC 26.0.94.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2020, 01:29:05 am »

At first, I was totally baffled by your message, but after re-reading several times and looking around, I found it!!.

I have to make you work for the knowledge a little bit!  ;)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2020, 08:15:46 am »

We'll have a new Mac build hopefully today with the case sensitivity fix I made on the Windows build last night.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2020, 11:36:20 am »

Thank you Matt!!   

Will that also fix the slashes or is that something I have do on my end?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2020, 11:43:02 am »

The platform tool converts the direction of all the slashes for the right platform.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2020, 11:43:21 am »

I have to make you work for the knowledge a little bit!  ;)

I get it, but how on earth did you figure out what code to put in these boxes without a detailed instruction manual??  So many options, I never would have figured this out in a million years.  And I don't see any "Reset to Default" option incase it gets really goofed up...  ::)   But at least it's something else I learned today!

I sent you a build to test.  Please let us know.  Thanks a lot for all the help.

On the contrary Matt...  thank YOU for all of your help! 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2020, 06:04:12 pm »

;D Most of my career has been working with complex software, working out what it can do, how to use it best. So I look for the functionality and make the software work best for me, or other users.

And I don't see any "Reset to Default" option incase it gets really goofed up...  ::)

Here is another little hint:
I have created what I call my "Reference" Library on one of my PCs. I never use that Library except to check what was in a blank MC Library. That doesn't work for settings, which are read from the Windows Registry, but for things like the View definitions, and the Player Bar configuration, it works very well. So if you goof things up, just create a Reference Library, and see how it is set up. If you do that, just make sure it never runs the import process, has Auto Import turned off for background operation. Such a Library is very small and a great quick reference.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2020, 08:42:01 pm »

The platform tool converts the direction of all the slashes for the right platform.

I just downloaded and tested out the new version, but it's still not working.  What is this platform tool?  Is it something I have to switch on or set?

In the translation, all slashes beyond the rule revert to 'backslashes'.  Am I missing something here? ... hopefully just a user error.  I also tried Rule = C:\Users\susie|/Volumes/E/ which returned similarly problematic results.   See attachments.   I've also added an attachment of my Volume E, so you can see how it looks on my Mac in case there's any doubts.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2020, 09:11:49 pm »

Am I missing something here?

I don't think so.

Perhaps redo that third image to show the drill down all the way to the FLAC file in Finder, to show it definitely exists, and that there are no special characters in the Mac path, for example.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2020, 10:47:03 pm »

Okay, I've attached what I think you're asking for...  but I'm puzzled, because I don't understand how it could possibly work when the slashes are going both ways...  /Volumes/E\Music\My Music\...

What is the "platform tool" Matt is referring to?  Is it something I have control over or is it handled by MC in the background?  I searched the forum & Wiki and don't find anything.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2020, 11:35:19 pm »

That image is perfect.

What is the "platform tool" Matt is referring to?  Is it something I have control over or is it handled by MC in the background?

Not being a developer of JRiver, I can't be absolutely sure, but I believe it is an internal part of MC that takes into account the different requirements of Windows, Mac, and Linux environments. It certainly isn't anything you can control or configure.

Don't worry about the slashes. Either MC should be handling that different slashes correctly, or Matt needs to fix something. That is why I wanted you to post the updated image, so that it is completely obvious that the function should be working, but isn't.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2020, 07:28:30 am »

It's a riddle to me that the slashes aren't getting replaced, because we should be trying.  I sent your library on to the Mac team here and hopefully they'll have some insights.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2020, 12:21:52 pm »

It looks like the library you sent me does not have a platform.jmd file to say what platform it is from.

This is probably why it's not converting the slashes.  It needs to say it is from Windows, Apple, Linux, etc. so we know.

Can you double-check to see if a platform.jmd file is in your library path?  Is it in a backup?

It should look like this on Windows:
[Platform]=Windows

Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2020, 04:26:36 pm »

Matt, would the lack of a Platform.jmd file also cause a problem with Special Characters?

We have been having a conversation about the Portable Library functionality separately for Windows and Mac, with the Special Characters (accents and so on) issue appearing again in Windows. See post https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126128.msg874737.html#msg874737

EDIT:
In fact, how does the Platform.jmd file work with the Portable Library functionality?

A user take a Library Backup on a Mac, then Restores that to Windows and sets up the Portable Library rule. But the Restore has now set the platform to Apple, instead of Windows. How is that handled?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2020, 04:34:45 pm »

If you restore a different platform's library, it keeps the platform and tries to make all changes compatible.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2020, 09:37:29 am »

It looks like the library you sent me does not have a platform.jmd file to say what platform it is from.

This is probably why it's not converting the slashes.  It needs to say it is from Windows, Apple, Linux, etc. so we know.

Can you double-check to see if a platform.jmd file is in your library path?  Is it in a backup?

Thanks.

Not being at all familiar with the .jmd files or where to find them, I had to do some digging around... 

On my PC#1 (source PC)
I did a search as best as I could through the entire directory structure and did not turn up a file named "platform.jmd".  Then I searched what I could manually in hidden files.  I located folder "C:\Users\susie\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 23\Library" which contained many .jmd files but no platform.jmd.  Is that the Library path you were referring to?

On my Mac (much more efficient at searching)
Since I've only used Mac for a few years, I'm not as familiar with location of application files or where to look for them.  So, I did a search and it only turned up "local" Library Backup zip files.  I unzipped one of those and walla!  There was a platform.jmd file!

So, I then I did the following:

On external HD "E" (files from PC#1):  Unzipped Library Backup and no platform.jmd file. 

On PC#1:   I checked other Library Backups and none contain platform.jmd.  This is a brand new PC with a brand new installation of MC26, so what could be the cause and the remedy for missing platform.jmd file?   

On PC#2:   I ran Library Backup, and what do you know... inside the zip file was a platform.jmd file. 

Observation:  The only Library Backups that do NOT have the platform.jmd file is on the source PC#1, where Portable Library Rule was never used.  Is it possible that platform.jmd is only created if the Portable Library Rule is used?

Just a thought regarding the Portable Library Rule... what having user select their platform (i.e. check boxes or drop down) for both Source & Destination so MC isn't having to figure this out?

It should look like this on Windows:
[Platform]=Windows
Thanks.

Where would I find this [Platform]=Windows?  Is this the contents of platform.jmd, or is it something else?  I have no idea where to look for this otherwise.  On my Mac, I was unable to open the platform.jmd file by clicking on it.

I hope I've answered your questions...   :P

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2020, 09:49:25 am »

Matt, would the lack of a Platform.jmd file also cause a problem with Special Characters?

We have been having a conversation about the Portable Library functionality separately for Windows and Mac, with the Special Characters (accents and so on) issue appearing again in Windows. See post https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,126128.msg874737.html#msg874737

Would this be more of an import issue?  The same issue appears both on Mac & PC.  Previously it seems to have caused a lot of issues, but it doesn't seem to be preventing playback on the PC.  But definitely a strange and concerning issue.  Let me know if this requires a new thread or if it's even of concern.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2020, 06:09:59 pm »

I think you need a Platform.jmd file on your all PCs and the Mac, and it should contain the single line [Platform]=Windows. My Windows PC has that, and I've only ever used Windows. You can copy the files from one that you found. It is only a text file, and not encrypted or compressed.

You can view the Platform.jmd on the Mac by opening a text editor and then dragging the Platform.jmd file into it, or using the File Open function.

Your Mac also needs that file, so after adding it to the first PC, take a Library Backup from the first PC and Restore it on the Mac. Then confirm the PL setup and see if that fixes the slashes issue.

I may have that the wrong way around, if the Library was originally from the Mac, and you may need the file to contain [Platform]=Apple. But our past efforts on fixing the Windows Library may have left the Library in a mixed platform state.

Let's address the Special Characters issue over on the Windows thread. That issue only happens on Windows, doesn't it? From memory, the Windows Library originally came from the Mac though, so that may be a contributing fact.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2020, 06:52:00 pm »

I can't explain a platform.jmd not being saved.  It's part of every save to write it if it doesn't exist.  You don't have some software that could be standing in the way do you?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2020, 06:53:14 pm »

Please make sure you're running the very latest MC.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2020, 07:53:23 pm »

Please make sure you're running the very latest MC.

Indeed. I think Susie is, but I did notice the reference to "C:\Users\susie\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 23\Library", which would be an old MC23 Library that hasn't been cleaned up.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2020, 03:13:29 pm »

Roderick/Matt - I am so terribly embarrassed to admit my PC#1 was still running MC23.  And I am even more sorry that my mistake wasted so much of your time (and mine) because of this... I was so sure I had updated it at the time of installation.  Please forgive me....  :-[

Good news!!  Everything is up-to-date on all machines and the latest Library was copied to "E" and restored on the Mac.  Suddenly everything (almost everything  :-\) works!  I feel pretty confident now that Portable Library is working perfectly now and that we can move on.  The remaining issue has to do with "special characters".  Do I need to start a separate post for this?  It's primarily an issue on the Mac because it prevents files from playing.  The special character issue is also on the both PCs, but doesn't prevent anything from playing.  I will explain...

On the Mac, all but a few hundred files (out of 8124) play.  The one's that don't play all 'appear' to have the special character issue (from what I can see).  This is only apparent during Rename.  Strangely, everything looks exactly the same on the Mac & PC, but it only causes a problem with playback on the Mac. Here's my observation on both Mac & PC:

On both PC & Mac
When in Rename Filename displays (i.e. Gólgota) perfectly normal, no spaces inserted next to special character.  But, Filename(name) has an added space to the right of the special character (01 - Go lgota.mp3).  The difference is that on the on the Mac they do not play at all, but on the PC they play fine (surprisingly), however these are the same files where "Locate > On Disk (external) points to My Documents rather finding it on Drive "E".    See attachments...

I have not yet figured out how to isolate just the ones that don't play, assuming they need to be manually edited.  Any tips for this would be greatly appreciated!!  Just let me know if I need move this portion of the post to a new one... and if so, for which platform.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2020, 03:37:29 pm »

You've made me very happy.  Thank you 😄

For the character problem, could you post a filename from Windows that doesn't translate nicely?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2020, 04:49:07 pm »

Doh!

It is the first question in my signature, and I didn't ask it. I need to make that question bigger;D
Also, you told me you were going to update all copies of MC last December!
I could upgrade right now, especially if you think MC25/MC26 will help me get from MAC to PC easier.  I would absolutely do that.  In either case, I'll probably upgrade within the few days.

I think continue here and answer Matt's question.

Also Matt, some examples are here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,123158.msg853461.html#msg853461

tangolovers

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2020, 07:07:56 pm »

You've made me very happy.  Thank you 😄

For the character problem, could you post a filename from Windows that doesn't translate nicely?

I'm so glad I could do something to make you happy after all you did to assist me! 

Don't my previous attachments show the filename information you are looking for?  I posted 2 for Windows and 2 for Mac.  But I was wrong in my previous reply...  I thought they displayed "exactly" the same however they don't:

On Windows: MC Rename displays Filename(name) "01 - Gólgota.mp3"  as  "01 - Go´lgota.mp3"
On Mac:        MC Rename displays Filename(name) "01 - Gólgota.mp3"  as  "01 - Go lgota.mp3", but Locate > On Disk (external) is looking for "01 - Gólgota.mp3".

As soon as you exit Rename, everything looks perfectly normal and you would never guess there was a problem.  What's still a mystery is why the one on Windows plays and the one on Mac doesn't. 

Now, I have many other files with special characters that behave just fine and when you view them in Rename they look normal - the special character is above the character it goes with, not next to it. 

Doh!

It is the first question in my signature, and I didn't ask it. I need to make that question bigger;D
Also, you told me you were going to update all copies of MC last December!

Yes, and I'm thoroughly ashamed!  I should know better than this myself, but I guess it was a case of tunnel vision!  I did tell you I was going to update everything and I was so sure I did, but it somehow escaped me and I never thought to check that.  Uggh!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2020, 10:42:02 am »

I'm puzzled by the character problem.  Looking at the code we correctly translate to UTF-8 for all the filename operations on Mac.

To test on Windows, I made a file C:\Gólgota.ape and imported it.  It worked fine and I tried renaming and that also worked fine.

It might be good to start a new thread about the character issue with details about exactly what happens.

Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up