INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help With Streaming Issues / JRemote Not Connecting  (Read 1001 times)

RiotActTK

• Recent member
Help With Streaming Issues / JRemote Not Connecting
« on: July 13, 2020, 11:13:27 pm »

Hi everyone. Hope you’re all safe and well.

I generally use MC26 in a fairly straightforward home setting - HDMI from my HP Envy laptop running Windows 10 direct to the receiver and JRemote on my iPhone connected to LAN. It works without a hitch.

However, I also use it in a bar/music venue where the current setup there doesn’t allow for such easy setup.

In that setting, I’m using MC26 on my laptop with my laptop using AirParrot 3 to screen mirror to the Apple TV that is running through the main receiver in the venue. This works pretty well except for two main issues:

1 - there is occasionally skipping/stuttering playback. Are there any settings I could play with, either in MC, on the laptop or the router in order to relieve that? Would a wifi extender for the laptop help? Plugging directly into the ethernet port or receiver isn’t an option. Video quality isn’t a big issue, but the audio playback needs to be continuous.

2 - despite both the laptop and iPhone being on the same LAN, JRemote won’t connect. The error is something to do with requests timing out. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? Port forwarding issue perhaps?

Thanks for any assistance you guys can give me.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help With Streaming Issues / JRemote Not Connecting
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 11:31:05 am »

Try increasing the audio buffering in MC's audio settings to see if that helps with playback.

JRemote is probably trying to connect with your home IP address.
Make a second entry in JRemote and connect via IP instead of the access code to the IP address that your laptop has at the bar/music venue. Since that may change (because of your venue's DHCP server) you will probably need to update that in the JRemote entry each time you go back to that venue.

RiotActTK

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 03:26:15 pm »

Thanks bob.

Stupid question - how do I find out what my IP address is at the venue?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 03:28:53 pm »

In Google, type whatsmyip

RiotActTK

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 04:40:09 pm »

Thanks. So it would need whatever the outside IP of my laptop is, not a static IP I could configure?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 05:20:56 pm »

Thanks. So it would need whatever the outside IP of my laptop is, not a static IP I could configure?
No, it needs to be the inside address.
On windows, you can click on the network in the system tray and do "Properties", scroll down to the bottom of that and look for the IPV4 address.

If the venue is one you use often and you have control over that DHCP server OR you know that there is a range of static addresses you could use there then you could fix the address. If not, you'll need to check it each time.

Optionally you can go into the laptop MC and force it to update the addresses for the access key by doing "test server" under Options->Media Network. If you do so you'll want to do that again when you get back home.
MC will do that automatically in the background every so often, you are just making it do that faster.

Also if your venue has an outgoing proxy server with restricted ports MC might not be able to do that update in either case so your only option would be to use the IP address as I outlined above.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 08:24:56 pm »

Optionally you can go into the laptop MC and force it to update the addresses for the access key by doing "test server" under Options->Media Network. If you do so you'll want to do that again when you get back home.

That's a neat trick I hadn't thought of. Must remember that.

MC will do that automatically in the background every so often, you are just making it do that faster.

I had a question regarding the time interval between checks to update the Access Key data recently. Can you share how often that happens?

I ask because if the interval is say five minutes, and the Access Key isn't working after that time, then the problem isn't MC but the user's network or PC sleep/wake setup.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RiotActTK

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 08:51:58 am »

Thanks for the help everyone! I got the remote working using the IP address trick. It also helped that I realized I had changed the port in MC. *facepalm.gif*

As for the streaming, I think it comes down to the outdated router in the venue. It’s a 2.4 only model, so I just took the FPS on the mirror all the way down to 15fps and it’s serviceable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up