INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AppData\Roaming\J River\Temp folder fills HD in the last couple of days  (Read 1180 times)

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...

Hi all -- I recently found 77GB in 370,000 files in the Temp folder, and when MC is running it keeps creating more at several times per minute.  Have to have it off or it keeps making more... this is on version 101, now 103, and after a reboot.

Files are all cover art from random albums, repeated over and over with the same name (2, 3, etc.), per the attached screenshot.

Help!!

-Doug

UPDATE: Figured it out: I have another instance of MC running on a second PC, connecting to the main PC as a client.  The moment I launch the second PC's instance and it shows the thumbnails, the file count in the main PC's temp folder starts climbing, and climbing... if I mouse over a thumbnail group (e.g. Rock if grouped by genre) the thumbnail quantity jumps up and shows each thumbnail as it is created.  If I drill into a genre, all the thumbnails get created in the main PC's temp folder.  If I shut down the second PC client, this all comes to a stop.  If I use JRemote on my iPhone, no thumbnails are created.

Not sure if this is to be expected, but I figure 90GB in 377,000 temp files created at a rate of several a minute probably isn't...? :)  In the meantime I've disabled my secondary PC from being a client.

Cheers,
-Doug

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: AppData\Roaming\J River\Temp folder fills HD in the last couple of days
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 09:19:36 am »

Sorry to bump this but can anyone else please confirm this behaviour and suggest a fix? I've stopped using all my JR clients in the meantime as my server doesn't have a very large C drive where these thumbnails are being written.

Thanks,

MGD_King

• Citizen of the Universe
  • It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 09:44:54 am »

Sorry to bump this but can anyone else please confirm this behaviour and suggest a fix? I've stopped using all my JR clients in the meantime as my server doesn't have a very large C drive where these thumbnails are being written.

Thanks,

Do you have a larger hard drive also attached to your server, like a D or C drive? If so, you can change your Temp location by going to Options -> File Location -> Program Files.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 10:00:24 am »

You used the phrase "MCWS Client" in describing your setup, which makes me wonder if your client computer is connecting to the server library in an unusual way?  Normally, a media center library client generates thumbnails locally to cache them, not on the server.  Is your client instance of Media Center connecting to the server in the normal way using library manager?  Or some other way?

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 11:51:04 am »

You used the phrase "MCWS Client" in describing your setup, which makes me wonder if your client computer is connecting to the server library in an unusual way?

Nice catch - that was a slip of the tongue. I'm not using MWCS for these clients, but rather the traditional client - server config. All Windows boxes running at least build 103. I too would expect the thumbnails to be built on the client side.

Re: a different temp drive: good idea but I'd rather it not be used at all. If one of the clients has a mouse pointer hovering over a genre thumbnail and the cover art cycles through, it'll just keep writing and writing... Seems a waste of resources and unnecessary HD activity.

Cheers!
Doug

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 03:25:17 pm »

Re: a different temp drive: good idea but I'd rather it not be used at all. If one of the clients has a mouse pointer hovering over a genre thumbnail and the cover art cycles through, it'll just keep writing and writing... Seems a waste of resources and unnecessary HD activity.

Cheers!
Doug

Doug, you could always restart MC on the server once a day. That clears out the temp directory. Just a thought.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 06:01:22 pm »

Temporary images are supposed to be deleted after being used, but something must be going wrong somewhere. We're looking into it.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

DougHamm

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 06:07:01 pm »

Temporary images are supposed to be deleted after being used, but something must be going wrong somewhere. We're looking into it.

Thanks!! Confirmed that when server is closed and restarted the files go away -- however I keep my server and one specific client up as solid as possible so that's why the files grew out of control. I created a scheduled task to delete them every hour; however that seems kind of kludgy, especially since the client doesn't seem to care at all that the files exist or not. :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up