INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issue with multi-monitor and fullscreen  (Read 536 times)

Conrad

• Recent member
Issue with multi-monitor and fullscreen
« on: August 02, 2020, 08:08:09 am »

I have a desktop PC with a GTX 2070 Super connected to two displays - directly to a Dell monitor over displayport and then to a marantz processor over HDMI which then connects to a JVP projector, also over HDMI.

The monitor and the projector are in different rooms. My plan was to use the PC as a desktop PC for work connected to the Dell monitor, and then fire up the processor/PJ, turn off the Dell and use the other room as a dedicated cinema. This sort of works, except that when JRiver goes fullscreen, the processor loses signal.

If I leave the Dell on, everything is ok (other than having a second monitor that I can't see so I sometimes lose the mouse). If I turn the dell off and but switch sources on the marantz, I can recover the picture on the PJ.

Anyone got any idea about why this might be happening. The Nvidia control panel reports that a repeater is present when I have the processor on so I suspect it's some sort of HDCP issue. I can work around it, but I'd like it to work whether I leave the monitor on or not.

Further information:
I maintain audio throughout, even when the PJ is reporting no signal, the marantz sees and decodes the full HD sound.
I'm bitstreaming to the marantz so that I can keep atmos.
I'm using RO with MadVR turned up quite high. I get no drops with my settings on the Dell, or on the PJ when I have the video playing on it.

I will try fullscreen exclusive mode with the dell turned off. With the Dell turned on fullscreen exclusive mode is never engaged.
I need to confirm if it happens with all content. It definitely happens with 4k HDR.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Issue with multi-monitor and fullscreen
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 09:18:23 am »

When devices are connected in series; i.e. Dell Monitor; Marantz; JVP; then all of them have to be switched on all the time any video/audio signal is being passed to the JVP via that "Route"
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Conrad

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 10:24:16 am »

Hi, thanks for the reply. Not all the devices are connected in series, sorry if that wasn't clear.

What I have is:

2070 Super DisplayPort -> Dell monitor DisplayPort
2070 Super HDMI -> Marantz -> JVC

I have two discrete use cases, working, or playing media. I'd like to able to turn off the dell and just use the parallel chain of processor and projector.

If it's of use the dell is connected with a 2m displayport cable. The Marantz is connected with a 15m HDMI cable (copper), and the PJ is connected to the marantz also with a 15m fibre HDMI cable.

Chipicui

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 12:14:21 pm »

Hi, long time ago I bought a Marantz 7.1 receiver to use it as a multimedia hub thinking that it should be almost as easy to setup as plug and play.
Oh boy how wrong I was!!
I build a setup very similar to yours:

PC to normal (vga) monitor.
from same video card via hdmi to  receiver.
Receiver connected via hdmi to a TV.

I had the same issue as you every single time I turned my pc, receiver or tv on/off .
Needless to say, it was driving me crazy and I was almost ready to throw it all away, but one day I read somewhere that people was having great results with little device that handled all the edid handshake between the video card hdmi and the receiver/tv.

https://www.gefen.com/product/hdmi-detective-plus-EXT-HD-EDIDPN

Somewhat expensive for what it does, but from day one I installed it (in between the PC hdmi out and the Marantz hdmi input) like 4 years ago or so... it instantly cured ALL my hdmi issues.
I don’t know if it would help you specifically, but that was my humble experience.

Conrad

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 04:42:18 pm »

Thanks for the info. I think I might have solved it with a similar but different device. I've attached an HDCP 2.2 -> 1.4 convertor into the chain between PC and AVR and that seems to have resolved the issue. I can now turn the monitor off and playback on the PJ starts perfectly.

I assume it's something to do with the GPU getting unhappy about the switch from HDCP 2.2 (monitor) to 1.4 (Processor). This device gets around that by reporting back 2.2 to the GPU, I assume.

I've only tested with one movie but that worked where previously it didn't. I'll test some more over the weekend and report back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up