INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to identify singles?  (Read 691 times)

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How to identify singles?
« on: August 04, 2020, 10:26:16 pm »

For singles, both the song name and album name fields match.
There would only be one track for the artist/album combination.
I'd like a view that filters out all albums and only shows the singles.
i.e. albums containing less than 2 tracks.

tij

• MC Beta Team
Re: How to identify singles?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 06:20:04 am »

I actually have tag for this ... that can be populated by "Single", "Compilation", "Live", EP", "Soundtrack", "Studio"

Determining singles by total # of track is tough ... lots of singles I have, got more than 2 tracks (different remixes ... sometimes additional songs)

I suppose can create a view that display albums with albums that only have one track ... need to fool around before can give advice on this one
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 06:33:54 am »

somewhat obviously, if you have [Total Tracks] filled, it's easy to sort by that

you can use GroupCount(Track #) in a view that shows albums, it will give you the total tracks per album

wer

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 01:06:07 pm »

Zxsiz,

Having the song name and album name fields match causes difficulties.  You'll have better results if you take an alternate approach.

If those two fields match, you can use a rule like this in Set Rules for File Display:
[=IsEqual([Album],[Name],0)]=0

This rule will exclude all singles in your naming scheme. But it will also exclude non-singles that happen to match your naming scheme, namely the title tracks from albums.  Like "Back in Black" on AC/DC's "Back in Black" Album.  You could try and create other clever constructs to counteract this, like giving all singles a track number of 999 and excluding those.  But that's a bit of a hassle.

The bigger problem is that singles are sometimes also released as part of an album. And if that album happens to be named after a track that was issued as a single, then you have a conflict: Two "albums" with the same name, one the single and one the actual album.

It would be better if you structured your album names for singles to include the word single, like this:
[Name]=Back in Black
[Album]=Back in Black (Single)

Then the two albums cannot be conflated, and it is easy to include or exclude from your view any album that contains the string (Single).

But if you don't like this idea, then what tij is doing, having a separate tag to identify the type of album, would be best.

There's another option of course: since singles are NOT albums, leave the album name blank. Then exclude such files from your album view and have a separate singles view. It an artist view, all the singles would be grouped together under an unassigned Album category, but that would be appropriate.

Good luck...

Ferdi

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 02:27:37 pm »

MusicBrainz uses a tag 'Type' for this, and MusicBrainz Piccard does a very decent job identifying singles. I haven't tried, but if you have a tag with the same name in MC, you should be able to see the value there and use it as a filter in views.
Pages: [1]   Go Up