INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT dedicated audio PC's  (Read 1103 times)

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
OT dedicated audio PC's
« on: April 18, 2003, 07:48:58 am »

Figured I should post a couple of links as this is interesting to you guys...

On the cheaper front a fanless and silent (baring HD's) machine with 2 PCI slots (could be a fine low end HTPC with PCI radeon and quality soundcard) available from http://www.hushtechnologies.net/ add a quality M-Audo or RME card to this and nework you audio files to it and this would sit proudly in any media closet or equipment rack...

If you really have golden ears and money to spend check out http://www.carillondirect.com these guys seem to put a lot of time effort and research into silencing / component choice / etc... I think many of the audio concious among the AVS crowd have the same parts and silencing but the attntion to power supply issues is interesting...

Just thought these were links worth repeating
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

zevele10

Re: OT dedicated audio PC's
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2003, 12:20:42 pm »

attntion to power supply issues is interesting...  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Depending where you live ,this can be a big problem concerning stereo.

Here in Israel ,power is allways up and down and ground wires go to the ground as much as you and me had a drink on planet Pluton 2 weeks ago...

When the fridge starts ,you get a big  CLICK in the speakers..... or  on the tape in you make a tape

I ,and many others, have a  power  regulator [?] for the stereo system ,and i am really thinking about buying a second one for the computer.

My computer is VERY noisy : SIX fans and one heat extrator because of the weather here ,and ,beside this noise has a lot of noise pollution.

But my understanding was that ,at a fair level of HI-Fi any USB external soundcard will do concerning this problem.
I'am right or not ?
I mean stuff like StereoLink or SoundBlaster external soundcard

MachineHead

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2003, 12:33:50 pm »

Phat-

Funny you bring this up. I was in Best Buy today looking at some of the new machines. Most are downright quiet now. Another thing, how much better they sound than this clunker. There was a notebook playing a dvd with these little JBL speakers and a sub. That thing sounded incredibly good.

Beast Master has given her OK for this guy to finally get a new machine. Have to look around little more, but I think I might have it narrowed down.  ;)

Harry_The_Hipster

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2003, 12:40:59 pm »

But my understanding was that ,at a fair level of HI-Fi any USB external soundcard will do concerning this problem.
I'am right or not ?
I mean stuff like StereoLink or SoundBlaster external soundcard

Xitel has a nice basic product with an msrp of $99 US, cheaper if you dig - Pro Hi-Fi Link. Review in PC Mag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,844002,00.asp.

HTH

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2003, 01:22:43 pm »

Thanks for the link.
But still the same problem : i cannot get it here.
If i buy it from US and there is a problem ,it is the start of a long and unpleasant saga.....

The same concerning StereoLink.
Here ,we have only the  SoundBlaster external soundcard- at 2 times  and a half  the price of the - Pro Hi-Fi Link by the way.
But i heard so much horror stories about SoundBlaster that i really have cold feet buying it.
Anyway i have to do something ,because the noise is really annoying

Russell

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2003, 06:18:20 pm »

Anyone know how to get MC's DSP features, particularly frequency, bitdepth, and 5.1 matrixed audio to work with the xitel pro?  I've been very satisfied with the sound of this unit on my mega-bucks hi-fi/ht equipment, but I would like to play around with the 5.1 audio.

Has anyone tried to do this using the xitel pro?
Pages: [1]   Go Up