INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparison between MC and other photo management tools  (Read 1132 times)

carbo

• World Citizen
Comparison between MC and other photo management tools
« on: September 03, 2020, 04:04:08 am »

I have been using MC for years (since 2006!) And am really happy with the way I manage my photos.

Yet in recent weeks I have started to look at what the competition is doing .
Progress in AI particularly seduced me and the promises of a very powerful organization ...
After trying different solutions (ACDSee, IMatch, DigiKam ...) here is my observation:

++
Organization and customization: I am really impressed with the power of MC. Lots of software claim to have powerful filters, but nothing seems to match MC. Bidirectional filters in particular are something that cannot be found anywhere.
There is really nothing so simple and powerful in the competition and I am a little sad that MC is never mentioned as a solution in the specialized forums (dpreview ...)

--
Map Display : This is clearly the feature that I miss the most. Seeing a set of photos on the map, being able to define the gps coordinates of those not geocoded and selecting images directly from the map would in my opinion be THE functionality to develop.

Easily compare several photos: an interesting feature is to be able to simultaneously see several similar photos (up to 4).
The fact in particular that the display is synchronized on the different photos (zoom level) makes it possible to choose the best photo more easily than in MC.

Face Recognition with IA: This is a pretty cool feature offered by many. IMatch notably offers fairly satisfactory results. However, in my opinion, this is not essential, the MC tag system being very fast.

Do you think that adding a cartographic mode as a list view would be possible?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Comparison between MC and other DAMs for photo management
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 06:38:31 am »

Map Display : This is clearly the feature that I miss the most. Seeing a set of photos on the map, being able to define the gps coordinates of those not geocoded and selecting images directly from the map would in my opinion be THE functionality to develop.

Easily compare several photos: an interesting feature is to be able to simultaneously see several similar photos (up to 4).
The fact in particular that the display is synchronized on the different photos (zoom level) makes it possible to choose the best photo more easily than in MC.

The map is there.  Rght click>Locate on Google Maps.

Comparison can be done.   Select two photos and right click.   There's a special view for it.  Right click>Preview Images.  Thanks to Tom for building it many years ago.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 07:03:20 am »

There is really nothing so simple and powerful in the competition and I am a little sad that MC is never mentioned as a solution in the specialized forums (dpreview ...)
Please start a JRiver thread there!

I just did a quick search and found this, among others:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60263080https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60263080

Listener has been a frequent poster here.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 08:10:58 am »

ACDSee, Digikam, Imatch, Lightroom ... these are not DAM.

What separate DAM from those (among other things) is true multi user environment. Several ppl modifying/accessing assets. Cost lots of money with licences usually structured per number of concurrent access seats.
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

carbo

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 09:26:50 am »

Yes I know this button but it doesn't cover the following use cases at all:
- See all photos matching a filter on a map with clusters adapting to zoom level
- possibility to select photos from the map by drawing an area (show me all the photos taken in the area)
- geocode photos by clicking on the map
- nice to have: reverse geocoding

Comparison can be done.   Select two photos and right click.   There's a special view for it.  Right click>Preview Images.  Thanks to Tom for building it many years ago.
I didn't know, thanks !

carbo

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 09:32:35 am »

ACDSee, Digikam, Imatch, Lightroom ... these are not DAM.

What separate DAM from those (among other things) is true multi user environment. Several ppl modifying/accessing assets. Cost lots of money with licences usually structured per number of concurrent access seats.
ok ok, I removed the notion of DAM in my post. The objective of my post is above all to identify what would allow MC to be even better at managing photos

tij

• MC Beta Team
Re: Comparison between MC and other photo management tools
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 12:52:57 pm »

Several years ago I was looking into this ... just a solution for whole family to manage photos (amount of photos genetated with the age of snart phone is insane)

I was looking into somdthing that could:

1. have a database wich could add custom fields/tags
2. could preview the picture
3. true multi-user environment
4. accessible via smartphones for uploading and tagging

on consumer side of things there was nothing that could do point 3. Understandable ofcourse as this is a true headache to keep database integrity intact.

most consumer stuff went cloud direction. Also, understandable, as most consumers just want simple stuff ... without dealing with scary terms as relational database.

At the time, there was start up DAM ... i think it was Daminion ... that offered part of its software in consumer version (was certanly not cheap ... but still feasable for me) ... but now, i guess ... they got accepted as a good solution ... so only offer expensive solutions targeyed at small enterprise.
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up