INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LFE hum when Theater view is displayed  (Read 521 times)

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
LFE hum when Theater view is displayed
« on: November 03, 2020, 06:21:15 pm »

This is a really strange problem. Recently I noticed that I could hear a low level hum in my room when I was using MC27 but not playing music or watching a movie. I was able to locate the hum in all three of my subwoofers. The main speakers are almost completely silent but definitely don't have the same hum coming from them.

If I exit out of Theater View in MC 27 (hit ESC), the hum goes away.

Here is my configuration:
MC27 configured with 5.1 output for audio.
HTPC with NVidia GT1030 card for HDMI.
Marantz 7703 with 5.1.4 speaker configuration
The LFE output goes to a miniDSP which controls 3 separate subwoofers.
All subwoofer connections are RCA and the cable lengths vary from 10 to 40 feet.

The most recent change in my configuration was adding the GT1030 video card to replace the embedded Intel GPU.
HTPC - Windows 10 64-bit Intel i5, Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: LFE hum when Theater view is displayed
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 06:28:00 pm »

Theater View uses 3D drawing.  Could be related.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 06:32:35 pm »

That is indeed strange.

Can you confirm that this hum does NOT occur when using the HDMI out from your motherboard integrated graphics whilst running theater view?

Try this as a test: Change your audio output device in MC to something other than the NVidia card, like the analog outs on the motherboard, or something like that.  Then launch theater view.  Does the hum still resume?

If yes, my guess would be that activating the GPU (which theater view does) is causing interference in the NVidia card, which is manifesting as spurious data in one of the audio channels. The remedy would be to replace the defective card.  If no, then more pondering will be necessary.

Gedeon

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 02:18:13 am »

Those issues are hard to solve. Power issues, ground loops, non perfect isolation ....

My system has the same issue. When "high current" is running through videocard/GPU you can eve "hear" when disks are spinning, ... and a hum...
Pages: [1]   Go Up