INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: many tmp file created  (Read 770 times)

trogne

• Recent member
many tmp file created
« on: October 01, 2020, 09:38:47 am »

I have Media Center 26, on Windows 10.

Almost everytime I save tags with mp3tags, a tmp file is created in "C:/", like "Directory Write Test (47108).tmp". The number in parentheses changes, so that can lead to many files.

What is generating those "Directory Write Test" files  ?

It is really Media Center that creates those files. I can see that using sysinternals process monitor.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: many tmp file created
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 04:55:10 pm »

It's likely that MC is creating the files but then failing to delete them due to Defender's Root folder protection:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-atp/enable-controlled-folders

Either disable that Defender feature, or make sure to add MC folder and binaries to Defender's exclusion list.

If you have a different Antivirus, try adding the exclusions there.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 05:29:19 pm »

If you close MC (and MC's Media Server if you have that running) do the files still get created?

I find it strange that MC would be writing these files when you make changes using MP3TAG.

Regardless as to which app is writing them, I would be looking for a way to have them written anywhere other than the root directory. MC doesn't have a setting for such things, but maybe a change of the "Start In" directory for the shortcut would do that, for whichever app is creating the files.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

trogne

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 06:44:48 pm »

Seems to work with changing "Start in" folder !    I don't even see the files being created.

Thanks !
Pages: [1]   Go Up