INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is or is Sox for resampling necessary if u have an expensive dac?  (Read 4576 times)

Pesaudio

• Recent member

I have read about SoX for resampling but I don't fully understand how to use it, is it harmless to always have it on, or is there some snakeoil/placebo behind it? I tried to google about it but there were only like 3 posts on interact about it.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: What is or is Sox for resampling necessary if u have an expensive dac?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 09:13:48 am »

If you use JRiver for resampling audio from one sample rate to another (44.1KHz to 48Khz for example), JRiver needs to apply a resampling algorithm.  SoX is one such algorithm, by default JRiver uses a different algorithm.  Some people think that SoX is a superior resampling algorithm, but it only matters if you have told JRiver to resample content in the output format block in DSP studio. 

If your DAC is capable of playing all the sampling rates of the media that you have and of switching sample rates on the fly, you don't need to resample anything and there's probably no reason to do so (with Sox or otherwise).  If your DAC only supports some sample rates or if you're using a non-direct playback mode (such that the OS resamples everything that isn't at a fixed sample rate), then you might need or want to configure resampling in output format.  The SoX checkbox just tells JRiver *how* to resample if you've already setup resampling as part of output format.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: What is or is Sox for resampling necessary if u have an expensive dac?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 01:59:27 pm »

Most of my customers prefer the default upsampling compared to SOX. Sometimes resampling is necessary not because of the DAC's limitations, but for the audio device's. For example, Realtek ALC audio chips cannot do 176.4 KHz for some reason, so we get MC to resample to 88.2 or 192. It seems to be a weird omission, but that's just the way it is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up