INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Zones - Key feature still missing!  (Read 946 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Multiple Zones - Key feature still missing!
« on: April 16, 2003, 06:29:17 am »

J River,

I feel the multiple zone concept one of the great goodies of MC9! Probably few people use that as it needs more than one sound card - but for those who tried it out - it is really great stuff and probably an excellent selling point! You can play and control music  through different loud speaker sets in different rooms!

The functionality is rather complete with the exception of one bug that has been reported several times:
Volume control works only in zone 1, all other zones you cannot control the volume via MC9!

Is this something you are going to fix before release or is it too much of a hassle for the time being! Just wondering! I would definitely make a great impact if it gets fixed!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Multiple Zones - Key feature still missing!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2003, 06:46:59 am »

We know about this one, but the solution is a bit complicated because of all the different types of playback / output MC does.

Look for a fix in 9.1 / 10.0.

Thanks Jaguu.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

sraymond

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2003, 07:22:19 am »

I don't know if you use a remote control with MC, but I've found the only way around this is to use Girder to control the master volume vice a specific device volume.  While it's not an ideal solution (although it works well enough for me), you could take it one step further and work on getting Girder to control the specific sound cards.

I'm using the Girder Volume OSD plugin - which has a great presentation.

Scott-

Eiffel

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2003, 07:23:18 am »

Just a small correction... the multi zone feature doesn't necessarily require multiple soundcards.

With my Maudio410 (and I presume many other multichannel cards) set to ASIO, I can have up to 5 sterero zones (or, as I do know, one 5.1 zone and a stereo one... and the ability to still use SPDIF for DTS external decoding)

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2003, 08:03:42 am »

I do have two soundcards. I also have set-up about 5 different zones for each one with various playback settings. Some are gapless, some with cross-fade, some with Replay Gain enabled, some without RG. Then you can easily switch between different playback setups depending on what album you're listening to. It's a very handy feature. :)

Rob

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2003, 01:34:32 pm »

I use two computers in the house with all in all eight zones, plus three zones in my car. I very seldom use the volume control in MC or Girder, I set it to the highest volume that will not distort sound and adjust the sound on the output device (boom boxes, receivers, car audio system and so on). But the key feature many people would miss (not me, I'm antisocial...) is the ability to coordinate play across sound cards for parties.  8)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up