INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching Music Data from one drive to another.  (Read 480 times)

Trdat

• Recent member
Switching Music Data from one drive to another.
« on: December 13, 2020, 01:25:35 am »

Hello,

I am considering switching my music files to my smaller SSD drive as my main drive is a standard hard drive. I am presuming things will be quicker.

Now, I know if I take the files out from the designated drive that JRiver is already using, the programme won't know where to access the music from.

What do I do in JRiver to notify the new drive?

Remember that I will literally copy paste the music file and drop it into my SSD drive. My goal is do this without having to reshuffle or import my music into JRiver again.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Switching Music Data from one drive to another.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 02:09:23 am »

Audio files are small, so I doubt moving to your SSD will improve your experience significantly.  Your JRiver library database should definitely be on the SSD. Keeping the MC database on the SSD will dramatically improve performance.

If you want to move your audio files, do NOT do a copy/paste outside MC using Windows Explorer. You can run into trouble that way.

Instead, let MC move the files for you.  Read this:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Trdat

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 04:12:03 am »

Sorry I'm confused your saying you doubt moving to SSD will improve experience then you say having MC database on SSD will dramatically improve performance. Can you break that down please?

I will take a look at instructions and see how I go thanks for that.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 04:42:28 am »

The database is the first thing MC loads so it is better to have it on the SSD so that it will load quicker, i.e. MC will start up quicker.
However when playing tracks MC will start to load the next track fairly close to the end of the track it is currently playing. Therefore it doesn't really matter if your music files are on the SSD or the HD.

If you don't intend to add to your current "Music Library" and there is enough space on the SSD for it then you could move it to the SSD to reduce the risk of problems that can be caused by some of the problems HD's are prone to. But as Wer said use MC and not Win Explorer to move the files.

Alternatively, if you can afford to, you could replace the HD with a larger capacity SSD, some makers of SSD provide the relevant software needed to carry out a "Disc to Disc Image Copy" to make the job a lot easier/quicker than doing it using Win Explorer.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

Trdat

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 08:39:14 am »

So if I have understood correctly JRiver should be installed on the SSD but the audio files are okay on the standard hard drive. That is the way I have it now. I was under impression that have having the music files on SSD would provide improvement, but if you say otherwise than great. I'll just leave it th way it is.

wer

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 01:07:52 pm »

Can you break that down please?

It appears you do not understand they are two different things.

Your media files are just your media files, nothing more. Those are the FLACs, MP3s, whatever.

JRiver also keeps a database, known as the library. This is a separate set of files where JRiver keeps what it knows about your media files (metadata) along with all your views and settings.

These library/database files are totally separate from your media files.

If your boot drive is not the SSD, then currently your library is probably not on the SSD. By default, the MC library is stored under your home directory, which is normally under C:\Users\

Reinstalling MC won't change where it keeps the library.

You can use the Library Manager function to clone your current (default) library to a new location, and then set that new library as the new default.

Read these articles:
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Manager
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96245.0

Trdat

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 01:01:43 am »

Yes, I am struggling to understand but it seems the database is what you're recommending to be on the SSD, and the MP3, Flac music files can be on the HD.

I know for a fact that the music files are on the HD but what am I looking for to see if the database is on the SSD drive?

JRiver is installed on the SDD but as you said its the database that needs to be on SSD. So how do I find it?

And I am presuming the first way that was mentioned to move the database with the wiki link of rename, move and copy files is the way I would move the database...?

wer

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 01:23:40 am »

Read the articles I just gave you in my last post.

The first of the three describes the library, and tells you exactly where to find it.  Then you will know what drive it is on.

The second link describes how to use the Library Manager, which is what you would use to clone the library.

The third link is the thread of another user like you asking this exact same question. He was given good advice, so read it. He also evinces your same confusion about the nature of the library. That is common. Read what the other experienced users told him, and integrate that with what I'm telling you here. It all fits together.

And I am presuming the first way that was mentioned to move the database with the wiki link of rename, move and copy files is the way I would move the database...?
You're confused about the Rename Move & Copy Files link because you haven't read the other articles.  The RM&CF tool mentioned in my first post is what you would use to move your MEDIA (audio) files, if you choose to do that later.  Read those other articles; that's why I gave them to you.

Yes, I am struggling to understand but it seems the database is what your recommending to be on the SSD and the MP3, Flac music files can be on the HD.
As I said originally, if you have any concerns about Media Center being "slow" that is almost always because of the library (database). MC accesses the library (database) constantly, for everything you do. So putting the library (database) on the SSD will definitely improve performance.  Once you have the library on the SSD, I imagine the only time you would ever notice any delay because of the media files being on the regular hard drive is if the drive goes to sleep. If your regular drive doesn't sleep (spin down) while you are using the PC, then I doubt you will have slowness issues if the media files stay there.

So read those articles. They contain information you need, and getting a better understanding of these concepts will help you do what you want to do.  It's not very hard once you have the basics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up