INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tree No Longer Auto-Collapses in MC27?  (Read 1115 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Tree No Longer Auto-Collapses in MC27?
« on: October 21, 2020, 01:08:50 pm »

The behavior of the Tree auto-collapsing opened "items" seems to have changed in MC27 (or perhaps later versions of MC26) and it now seems to often (but not always) no longer auto-collapse items when you open a new one.

Is there a new option to revert back to the old behavior? I liked the way it worked before, where you could manually open multiple items in the tree, but it generally auto-collapsed except for the "active item". That was, of course, not typical behavior for tree-controls, but I happened to like it.

If not, I can live. Just wondering.

Along the same lines (though I don't think this has changed), I have some Panes in Views that are list-type with slashes (so you have the expandy disclosure triangles). These also remember the "open state" even when I close and re-open the view (or click the Reset button). Is there a way to make these auto-collapse and/or close when I click Reset? A few of them I have are slow if they're open, and it makes the whole View slower if they're left open.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wer

Re: Tree No Longer Auto-Collapses in MC27?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 01:37:02 pm »

Hey Glynor...

It sounds like you're referring to the effects of Tree & View->Tree->Auto expand.  Have you tried toggling that?  I think once you do, you need to collapse all the sections of the tree first before the behavior really changes.

-Will

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 01:41:54 pm »

Nah, not that...

'twas in MC 26, a change was introduced that kept the tree expanded as it was when shut down, when next open. A ctrl+g collapses the tree for a reset, and normal behavior continues from there.

Remembering of course, that branches expanded manually never auto closed.

I find it mildly irritating now and then, but let it lie, figuring that there had to be a good reason for the change.

marko.

wer

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 01:46:16 pm »

Marko, I think what you're talking about was a change to the behavior of Playing Now only. Previously, Playing Now, if manually collapsed, would automatically expand itself every time a DLNA device appeared on the network. The effect was that in a multi-occupant household with multiple devices, it was essentially impossible to keep playing now collapsed. You'd collapse it, then it would re-expand itself when someone turned on a TV somewhere.  That behavior was changed, so that if you manually collapse playing now, it stays collapsed.

Changed: The tree no longer expands to show when devices come and go.

Edit: You're right there was another change:
7. Changed: The tree state for expanded and collapsed items is remembered between runs (Ctrl+G collapses all).

Glynor is talking about what happens when you explicitly click on a new part of the tree, I think.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 01:51:00 pm »

Was referring to this...

26.0.8 (11/26/2019)
7. Changed: The tree state for expanded and collapsed items is remembered between runs (Ctrl+G collapses all).
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes_MC26

wer

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 01:52:26 pm »

Yes, I was updating my post as you were posting.  But it still seems to me that glynor was talking about something different.

it now seems to often (but not always) no longer auto-collapse items when you open a new one.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 01:58:55 pm »

Since that change, branches expanded when program opens, do not auto collapse when switching tabs or selecting another tree item. Press ctrl+g to collapse all, and expected behavior resumes. I find that a ctrl+g is required to restore order every second or third program launch.

marko

wer

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 02:07:16 pm »

Hmm... I haven't noticed what you're describing. Tried a few extra tests now... It seems to work properly for me.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 02:39:56 pm »

Really? Interesting. I've been putting up with this since that change. I'll maybe try toggling that setting and see...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 03:00:01 pm »

Since that change, branches expanded when program opens, do not auto collapse when switching tabs or selecting another tree item. Press ctrl+g to collapse all, and expected behavior resumes. I find that a ctrl+g is required to restore order every second or third program launch.

I never traced it to that, but that's exactly what it is (and is why the behavior seemed so inconsistent to me so far). It is often leaving portions of my tree "open", but not always, and I never figured out a reason.

So, that seems like a bug.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 03:05:36 pm »

I tried toggling the setting off and on again, and it made no difference.

If the Audio item in the tree is open when I close/restart MC, and then I open Video, Audio remains expanded. And if I leave Video open when I close it, and then switch to Audio, then Video remains expanded. And so on and so forth.

If I make sure to toggle everything closed before I close/restart MC, then it works normally.

My issue is that I have MC scripted to exit and relaunch nightly (to make my automated Handheld syncs work correctly), and so I'd have to make sure everything is collapsed every time I stop using it to ensure it doesn't start acting weird again.

Note: To test this, by "close" I really mean close entirely. If you have Media Server running, then it isn't really closed and you won't see the impact.

wer

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 03:19:13 pm »

I tried toggling the setting off and on again, and it made no difference.

If the Audio item in the tree is open when I close/restart MC, and then I open Video, Audio remains expanded. And if I leave Video open when I close it, and then switch to Audio, then Video remains expanded. And so on and so forth.

That is the behavior I get if that setting is UNCHECKED.  That's the normal behavior for that state, as I understand it.

To switch to the "other" behavior, this is what works for me:
1. Put a check in the auto-expand box.
2. Collapse ALL items in the tree.
3. You could restart MC here, but for me it is not necessary.

Now:

4. Click on the word Audio, and it will expand.
5. Click on the word Video and it will expand and Audio will collapse.
6. Exit MC, and restart it
7. Video will still be expanded
8. Click on Audio, and it will expand and Video will collapse.

It's important to note, behavior is different if you click on the word Audio, than if you click on the disclosure triangle to the right.  The above behavior was generated by clicking on the WORD itself.  If you click on the disclosure triangle to expand it, that expansion will "stick" even when you click on a different section.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 03:21:36 pm »

Yup. That's not how it is working for me. I just tested it (and, yes, I'm clicking on the labels).

It IS how it works for me, so long as I do Control-G and then exit MC entirely.
If I leave a tree-item expanded, though, and then exit-relaunch MC, that item "sticks" open (as though I have the setting unchecked). But only that item remains expanded, and others work normally.

wer

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 03:29:44 pm »

If I leave a tree-item expanded, though, and then exit-relaunch MC, that item "sticks" open (as though I have the setting unchecked). But only that item remains expanded, and others work normally.

Yes, I see this behavior too. Leaving a section expanded when closing MC seems to have the same effect as expanding it using the disclosure triangle: it sticks.  (I keep the auto-expand option checked).

If you then collapse that "left open" section using the disclosure triangle, it reverts to normal behavior.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 03:36:26 pm »

Definitely not how it ever worked before.

Proof: http://glynor.com/img/screenshots/MC27/MC27-Tree_Auto_Expand_Bug.mp4

In this recording, at first, I made sure to close all of the open tree items before exiting MC. It works normally.
Then, I leave Audio open, exit MC, and re-open it, and you can see what happens.

wer

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 03:44:26 pm »

Videos are great for this. What did you use to make that one?

One difference between your machine and mine: I don't have media server running; I don't start it as a separate process.

Try disabling that and see if it makes any difference. I doubt it but you never know.

Another thing: When I do exactly what you did, and leave Audio open when I close MC, when I click on Video after MC has restarted, Audio still collapses. But Audio for you does not.

I've found this behavior is influenced by the Startup Interface->Location option.
If I have this option set to Last Location, it behaves as in your video: audio is sticky.
If I have this option set to Audio, then Audio is not sticky and will collapse immediately after launch when I click on Video (it behaves like I have it normally).

One other thing to try: try with 26.0.107 just to see if this is something introduced recently.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 03:56:45 pm »

I keep Startup Location set to Playing Now. I don't like it to open anything when it launches. I think that's probably the relevant difference on our systems. In fact, I'd noticed I could make any tree location "stick" other than Playing Now, but I didn't know why that was exempt. Now I know why. I strongly suspect if you tested leaving Images or Video open, and closed/restarted, then those would stick open (and only Audio would be exempt).

In any case, to answer your other questions:
  • Disabling Media Server made no difference.
  • I use Telestream Screenflow, along with AnyDesk (so I can remote into my server). I love that application. I wish they made a Windows version.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 03:59:57 pm »

One other thing to try: try with 26.0.107 just to see if this is something introduced recently.

I'm not going to bother. It is definitely the change Marko found (and rolling back that far is difficult and more trouble than it is worth).

26.0.8 (11/26/2019)
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes_MC26

It has been annoying me for "a while". I wasn't sure if it was just MC27 or pre-dated it. I didn't actually switch over to MC26 until relatively late in the game on my server, because I was busy and lazy.

But, in any case, that's why it changed. There's some bugginess with the way they implemented that change.

Pages: [1]   Go Up