INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnailing of EPUB E-books doesn't work well  (Read 563 times)

nataru

• Recent member
Thumbnailing of EPUB E-books doesn't work well
« on: October 22, 2020, 04:34:04 pm »

The majority of epub book covers in my collection (like 50%) are not showing on JRiver. I know they have a cover because when I open them in Calibre it's on the first page, but JRiver isn't showing the thumbnails for some reason.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Thumbnailing of EPUB E-books doesn't work well
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 05:34:44 pm »

I observe that your epub has an extraneous line at the start of its titlelpage.xhtml that mine do not:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>

I don't know if this is throwing MC off or not.

However, I would suggest you download and try the Calibre plugin "Modify ePub" by Grant Drake.  This is a very excellent plugin, and it has a couple of options to "Remove existing cover" and "Insert or replace cover".

Try running Modify ePub against your book, with both those options enabled (disabling all others if you like).  The plugin will rebuild the cover page with a good one, and it would be interesting to see if that fixes your problem.  I have seen a lot of cover image problems fixed that way, as Calibre seems to be more tolerant about cover images than many readers are.

nataru

• Recent member
Re: Thumbnailing of EPUB E-books doesn't work well
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 10:40:04 pm »

I observe that your epub has an extraneous line at the start of its titlelpage.xhtml that mine do not:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>

I don't know if this is throwing MC off or not.

However, I would suggest you download and try the Calibre plugin "Modify ePub" by Grant Drake.  This is a very excellent plugin, and it has a couple of options to "Remove existing cover" and "Insert or replace cover".

Try running Modify ePub against your book, with both those options enabled (disabling all others if you like).  The plugin will rebuild the cover page with a good one, and it would be interesting to see if that fixes your problem.  I have seen a lot of cover image problems fixed that way, as Calibre seems to be more tolerant about cover images than many readers are.

This worked, thanks. Had to use the "Find in file/cover art directory" function. Calibre automatically extracts cover arts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up