INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM driver glitches  (Read 1670 times)

hege

• Recent member
WDM driver glitches
« on: October 16, 2020, 11:13:15 am »

I have latest JRiver 27, latest Win 10 64-bit, Lynx E22 audio interface with latest driver (using ASIO).

Anything I output to the WDM device stutters and glitches in the beginning for a second or two - also some rare glitches during playback. Trying Foobar2000 DS or WASAPI (event) and Tidal with and without Exclusive. All methods glitch at playback start. No amount of ASIO or Live Playback buffering makes a difference. Latencymon/DPC is all good and flawless on this PC.

There have been many WDM driver fixes in the past, so I assume at this stage it actually works stable for most people?? How to debug this problem?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: WDM driver glitches
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 11:19:06 am »

What are you playing to it?

hege

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 11:30:19 am »

What are you playing to it?

I can reproduce it 100% on any local files or streaming. Or even windows sound control panel "test" feature, the stutter might even miss other channel playing (actually it never plays the right channel, since the audio stream seems to start so late).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 11:34:37 am »

Please read the Windows Defender thread and consider antivirus as a cause.

hege

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 11:40:57 am »

Please read the Windows Defender thread and consider antivirus as a cause.

I already tried disabling realtime scanning. Makes no difference. As an IT guy, I don't even understand how it could interfere with an audio driver as methodically as I described.

hege

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 11:50:06 am »

I've now also tested another audio interface (Schiit Eitr). Disabled all DSP stuff etc. Still stutters at start. So it's not related to my Lynx.

Can someone confirm that WDM works 100% stutter free for them?

hege

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 12:16:31 am »

Also installed JRiver 27.0.20 trial on a completely another computer. No configuration changes at all, just changed output to my Sabaj DA2 USB-stick (WASAPI). Same thing here, output stutters at start. Even Windows sound control panel's device "test" feature is broken similarly, left channel plays a ping, right doesn't except for a very short inaudible in the end. Something is seriously out of sync with the driver, if it can't manage a basic OS audio test.

No difference updating to "latest" version 27.0.21. I see the WDM driver changed to a different version with that:
05/10/2020  16.28            48 944 JRiverWDMDriver.sys

This Windows is newest 2004 version also: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19041

hege

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 04:35:45 am »

If I set everything to maximum (ASIO buffering 3000ms, live playback latency 500ms), stuttering lasts for a loong time. Mainly it's the ASIO buffer change, live playback latency doesn't seem to affect anything. It seems the JRiver WDM or software simply doesn't make sure there's enough pre-buffered data before starting playback or something.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 06:33:55 am »

I just played some u-tube classical videos with the sound processed by MC via WDM and they worked without any problem, no glitches or stuttering. Amazon music is playing fine via wdm too. But the windows test is as you said not working as it is giving normal left output and a nearly inaudible tinkle on the right channel. Amazon music played via the wdm is giving the correct stereo output to the speakers just fine.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

hege

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2020, 04:50:58 pm »

I guess it can be made to work decendly afterall. In the words of someone else, "Don't give up folks". :)

Live playback latency: 250ms
ASIO Buffering: 10ms 25ms (no large HW buffers)
Lynx ASIO Control Panel Buffer Size: 1024 2048

All three need careful tuning. Both ASIO buffers need to be very small here to prevent "startup stutter". There's still very minor one, but atleast it's not crackling enough anymore to make my Genelec warning leds blink. Lowering too much will again make the occasional crackle during playing.

One can just hope that Tidal on PC will support some actual streaming protocol instead of forcing to use the WDM driver.

PS. Nothing of these fix the windows control panel "test" right channel weirdness, but maybe that's Windows' fault..

edit: bumping a bit to 25ms/2048 seems to eliminate occasional crackles
Pages: [1]   Go Up