INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC26 user thought older versions had been yanked  (Read 453 times)

Solderman

• Junior Woodchuck
MC26 user thought older versions had been yanked
« on: November 03, 2020, 04:42:59 pm »

I'm a satisfied user of MC version 26. In a recent (11-03-20) email, I am told that only the latest version will be available.  :( This is a cheap shot. MC 27 offers me no functionality that I need. I paid for MC26 (and a few before, for that matter). Has MC moved to a subscription model? There are valid reasons (other than being stingy) that a user might not want to upgrade.  Not the least of these is that the new version won't work on a given system. I am not claiming this is the case. But as good a product as MC is, there is no bug-free software and MC is not exempt. I've identified bugs in MC26 here and, so far as I can tell, there was no interest in your attempting to fix them. Interested parties can search through the archives for details. Oh well, no they can't, because those forums have vanished. None of this inspires confidence in me.

JRiver, if you are really not going to make available an older version that many users rely on, it diminishes my confidence in you as a software provider.

MagerClab

• Recent member
Re: MC26 and vanishing forums = reasons to doubt JRiver
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 04:57:09 pm »

I'm a satisfied user of MC version 26. In a recent (11-03-20) email, I am told that only the latest version will be available.  :( This is a cheap shot. MC 27 offers me no functionality that I need. I paid for MC26 (and a few before, for that matter). Has MC moved to a subscription model? There are valid reasons (other than being stingy) that a user might not want to upgrade.  Not the least of these is that the new version won't work on a given system. I am not claiming this is the case. But as good a product as MC is, there is no bug-free software and MC is not exempt. I've identified bugs in MC26 here and, so far as I can tell, there was no interest in your attempting to fix them. Interested parties can search through the archives for details. Oh well, no they can't, because those forums have vanished. None of this inspires confidence in me.

JRiver, if you are really not going to make available an older version that many users rely on, it diminishes my confidence in you as a software provider.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/board,63.0.html

Solderman

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: MC26 and vanishing forums = reasons to doubt JRiver
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 05:34:33 pm »

Thank you. I hate it when I jump to conclusions* and am proven wrong. But hey, I'm wrong.  8) As long as I'm complaining, that forum clearly says "MC25 and older versions" so perhaps that should be revised.

Let me also qualify my first gripe about the bug**. Yes, techs did try to help me, even if the problem was not resolved. MC is an excellent product. I've also found the prior versions (install) directory (Help->Upgrade Channels->Open Download Folder) and have kept a backup of the latest version in a safe place, just in case.

*Or have I? The email said that only a single version would be available for download. And technically, even that is inaccurate, since both 32 and 64 bit are offered. I should have been an attorney.  ;D

**Here's a classic programmer poem about "The Last Bug."
https://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/last.bug.html

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC26 user thought older versions had been yanked
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 03:21:46 am »

Upgrading to V27 etc is JRiver way of getting income   27 is 26 plus added features and then becomes the current version. I suspect 26 is left as is at the last build.

I upgrade annually even though most improvements are video which are of little interest to me but it’s my way of supporting jriver and has been for years

Stay on an older version for stability yes but you will soon get left behind

What is $20 after all?
Pages: [1]   Go Up