INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual subwoofer channel output  (Read 1347 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
Dual subwoofer channel output
« on: November 04, 2020, 04:03:31 am »

Dirac Live is suggested as a usage scenario for the new VST3-funtionality in  JRMC27, but has anyone tried a setup like this for room correction? Two subs are beneficial in a setup like this, but MC can not (i think) output 2 sub channels, I don't know if HDMI supports it even. Any experiences here? Should JRMC27 support 2 LFE-channels or is this pointless?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
Re: Dual subwoofer channel output
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 04:41:37 am »

MC supports as many lfe channels as you like, just change the output format and use peq/mixing to copy the channel.

Whether a vst plugin supports that many channels is another question

flac.rules

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 05:17:30 am »

MC supports as many lfe channels as you like, just change the output format and use peq/mixing to copy the channel.

Whether a vst plugin supports that many channels is another question

Can you be a bit more specific? I only see x.1-type outputs in MC? I cannot see any 2 sub/LFE-options?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 06:03:35 am »

Change the output format to however many channels you need
Use https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer#Mixing to copy the content as you like

Your terminology is imprecise btw, lfe is a source channel whereas SW is an output channel so you need to be a bit more specific about what you are trying to achieve.

flac.rules

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 06:15:35 am »

Change the output format to however many channels you need
Use https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer#Mixing to copy the content as you like

Your terminology is imprecise btw, lfe is a source channel whereas SW is an output channel so you need to be a bit more specific about what you are trying to achieve.

I need to send 5 regular channels, and 2 LFE channels (independently) sent to the receiver over HDMI. Is that even possible? There is no 5.2-choice in my output-settings, nor 7.2 or 9.2 for that matter.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 06:49:17 am »

I doubt any avr would understand such a channel layout unless you are aiming to have it pass straight through unaltered?

flac.rules

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 07:17:06 am »

I doubt any avr would understand such a channel layout unless you are aiming to have it pass straight through unaltered?

Passing it straight through (except the inbuilt DAC in the receiver) would be fine, but is even that possible? Many receivers have two subwoofer outputs, so technically it shouldn't be impossible, but  am not sure what is supported through HDMI in practice here. But even if it does support it, it doesn't seem like MC can output it either?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 09:16:07 am »

Passing it straight through (except the inbuilt DAC in the receiver) would be fine, but is even that possible?
Hard to predict since, afaik, all AVRs presume that there is only one sub channel.  I do agree that it it "possible" that you could send additional sub signals through any unused channels but it is not certain that the AVR might confuse it with anything other than a "direct" path and even then................
Many receivers have two subwoofer outputs, so technically it shouldn't be impossible, .....
No.  All of those are fed by the single internal sub signal.
....but  am not sure what is supported through HDMI in practice here. But even if it does support it, it doesn't seem like MC can output it either?
IMHO, MC can output any format you want.  I am outputting 3 sub channels from MC with each EQ'ed independently but I ain't using HDMI or an AVR.

Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 09:40:17 am »

As I said, MC supports this but whether your signal chain does is another question. Best case is probably your avr accepts 7.1 pcm over hdmi, applies zero processing and sends the pcm straight through to the connected speakers.

flac.rules

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 11:01:06 am »

Hard to predict since, afaik, all AVRs presume that there is only one sub channel.  I do agree that it it "possible" that you could send additional sub signals through any unused channels but it is not certain that the AVR might confuse it with anything other than a "direct" path and even then................ No.  All of those are fed by the single internal sub signal.IMHO, MC can output any format you want.  I am outputting 3 sub channels from MC with each EQ'ed independently but I ain't using HDMI or an AVR.

Yeah, that was my suspicion, so with a HDMI-based setup, it is basically impossible to implement something like dirac live bia MC for 2 subs then, is the conclusion. To bad there isn't two sub inputs on receivers.

flac.rules

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 11:02:30 am »

As I said, MC supports this but whether your signal chain does is another question. Best case is probably your avr accepts 7.1 pcm over hdmi, applies zero processing and sends the pcm straight through to the connected speakers.

It is quite a bit more useful if the AVR knows what is LFE-channels, but if no AVRs accepts 2 LFE-channels over HDMI, that is a moot point anyway :(

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 12:13:07 pm »

Yeah, that was my suspicion, so with a HDMI-based setup, it is basically impossible to implement something like dirac live bia MC for 2 subs then, is the conclusion. To bad there isn't two sub inputs on receivers.
Well, you can lie to the AVR and put the additional sub channel(s) on an unused AVR channel but (1) that channel would also have a line-level output and (2) set the AVR to pure direct so that it does absolutely no processing at all.  Could be confusing if you are also using it for other things.

Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 02:03:17 pm »

Dirac Live is suggested as a usage scenario for the new VST3-funtionality in  JRMC27, but has anyone tried a setup like this for room correction? Two subs are beneficial in a setup like this, but MC can not (i think) output 2 sub channels, I don't know if HDMI supports it even. Any experiences here? Should JRMC27 support 2 LFE-channels or is this pointless?
What receiver do you have?
Pages: [1]   Go Up