INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible to delete/move music file(s) to a folder NOT the Recycle Bin?  (Read 579 times)

Buck Wheat

Hi all,

I want to know if it's possible to choose one or more tracks and then delete the files from the library (and the related master music directory I've created) into ANOTHER folder outside of my master music directory without sending the music file to the Recycle Bin?  (Can this be achieved either through a hot key or a user-defined hot key or macro?)

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Possible to delete/move music file(s) to a folder NOT the Recycle Bin?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 02:34:45 pm »

No.

What you're asking for is a one-step "archive" function. It does not exist.

You can use Rename Move & Copy Files first to move them to a different directory, and then delete to remove them from the Library (without sending to recycle bin).  Or you can remove them from the library, and then manually move them in Windows Explorer.  It's two steps, not one.

You could try rigging something up in something like AutoHotkey, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Buck Wheat

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 03:29:00 pm »

Hi wer,

Thank you for your quick reply!

I took a couple of test files and hit F6 to get to "Rename Move & Copy Files" and successfully moved the two files into my "archive" directory (the directory that is NOT a part of my MC library.)  Now how do you recommend to delete these two files from the library without losing the actual files?  (I even set up an "Archive" playlist so I could dump random files over time so I know which ones to remove.)  In your scenario would it be necessary to navigate to the same two files in the Library View later on? (I have a preset view set up under the Audio section on the left side of MC)  I would like to just dump unwanted tracks into this Archive playlist and remove them all at once.  Otherwise that would be extremely tedious trying to remember which files I want moved and "track them down", so to speak.  Ideally I would love to be able to just choose Delete from the playlist but there isn't a Delete choice in the menu.

wer

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 03:46:41 pm »

Now how do you recommend to delete these two files from the library without losing the actual files?

That's trivial.  Select the files in your playlist, and hit Shift-Delete. A dialog box will appear with three options: read them; they do exactly what they say and nothing else. You would want the first one.

This is the same dialog box that appears when you hit Delete on a file in a regular view.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 04:47:46 pm »

If I may Wer?

Also, if you selected a bunch of files in various Views and dumped them into an Archive Playlist, then selected all the files in the Playlist and moved them using the RM&CF function, when that function closes the same files should still be selected. Just hit Shift-Delete immediately and remove them from the Library. They will also disappear from the Playlist at the same time, of course.

Also learn about RM&CF Presets, so you don't have to type in the move details each time you run the function.

I know Wer, helping too much.  ;D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wer

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 06:26:45 pm »

It's ok Rod, I know you can't help yourself?  ;)  I didn't accidentally help an Australian did I?  If so, my apologies!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 08:14:59 pm »

Australian, with a name like Buck Wheat?

No, Buck Wheat is still living in the past, about 17 hours behind me, just like you!  ;D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wer

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 08:27:49 pm »

Australian, with a name like Buck Wheat?

Well I thought it could have been a disguise.  After all, there are numerous reasons why someone who is an Australian might want to conceal that fact...  ::)

Buck Wheat

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 08:43:34 pm »

First off, thank you guys for your help.

Second, I am NOT Australian.  I'm from NY.

Third, I've been using "Buck Wheat" for forever... the name just stuck because when we were kids we used to play Trivial Pursuit, and whenever it came to a question about People and I didn't know the answer, I'd just say, "Buckwheat?"  It became a running gag.  Kinda geeky I admit, but it stuck.  :)

Anyway, your recommendations work way better than my old method.  (My old method was to keep open a Windows Explorer window with the archive folder open and drag the files from MC to Explorer, but when working from home through a VDI I use a programmed key on my keyboard to launch/bring forward MC so I can switch tracks, etc.  When in the VDI I can't bring up Windows Explorer at the same time for dragging purposes (which means I'd have to minimize my work VDI to get to my desktop with MC and Explorer open.)    I don't supposed there's a way to keep open MC as "always on top" with a minimalistic player?

wer

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 08:55:38 pm »

Second, I am NOT Australian.  I'm from NY.
  I don't supposed there's a way to keep open MC as "always on top" with a minimalistic player?

Glad to hear it.  Rod gets touchy if I don't leave all the Australians for him.

There are 3rd party utilities that do that. XtraButtons is one. Or google "utility window always on top"

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 11:02:12 pm »

Hey, it's not a bad thing being Australian!

Living in New York isn't a bad thing either.  8)

Wer, you can help as many Australians as you like. Even the special one we know about. I don't mind. The language barrier may be a bit of an issue though...

I don't supposed there's a way to keep open MC as "always on top" with a minimalistic player?

Indeed there is. Ctrl+2 switches to the MC "Mini View", which via a right-click menu can be set to be "Always On Top". See image. It can even be set to become transparent when inactive. Search the MC Options using the Search Box for "transparent" to find the setting.

wer

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 11:36:13 pm »

No no Rod, I wouldn't want to deprive you.

The Mini View option is available from the View menu, so you don't have to memorize ctrl-2.

The built in always on top option only works with Mini View, whereas the 3rd party utils can do it even with standard view.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2020, 12:43:04 am »

Indeed... to all that.

Buck Wheat did ask about a minimalistic player though. So maybe it is enough.

Buck Wheat

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2020, 04:10:34 pm »

OK, so I tried the View -> Mini View with Always On Top and, although those are cool features, the window doesn't stay on top once I jump back to my work VDI.

Any idea if eXtra Buttons works around that (before I install it)?
Pages: [1]   Go Up