INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Options Under DLNA Servers  (Read 1386 times)

ashiers

• Recent member
Options Under DLNA Servers
« on: November 04, 2020, 12:50:35 pm »

I find the options in the dialog box DLNA Servers confusing.  If I'm streaming my music from my desktop computer consisting of both 16bit and 24bit formats what should the settings be?

Audio:
    Mode: Original, Specified output Format, Specified output Format Only when necessary
    Format: ...PCM 16-bit, PCM 24-bit, ...

Please advise.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Options Under DLNA Servers
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 01:25:21 pm »

It depends what you want your DLNA Renderer to play, and what it is capable of. Also whether you want the absolute best audio out of your Renderer, whether you want to apply and DSP to the audio before sending it to the Renderer, and so on.

Generally, a lot of people want to send the original file to the Renderer, rather than a transcoded file. But a lot of Renderers can't play all formats, and all should be able to play PCM 16-bit, so that is the "safe' setting.

Have you read https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA and other DLNA article in the Wiki?
Some of the DLNA threads on the forum are very specific to particular hardware, and some are long and complex, but it is worth searching the forum for information.

If you are still stuck, tell us the exact, full version of MC you are running, and the make and model of your Renderer.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 02:36:41 pm »

Question on this...What If I want to access a server PC from another MC Client but don't want to activate DLNA on that server is this possible?

I have 2 PCs running as servers but would only want one of the 2 to offer DLNA for other devices (or even turn DLNA off completely) can this be done?...Doesn't look like it, it forces me to enter a DLNA profile...

It would also be nice to access another MC server from an MC Client without shutting down it's server capabilities (ie TV recording...)

Thx!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 02:56:29 pm »

Quite a different question, but...

You can leave Media Network turned on in the PC that you don't want to run as a DLNA Server, and turn off the DLNA Server, DLNA Renderer, and possibly DLNA Controller. That PC will still connect to a MC Server and act as a MC Client.

If you are using a Network TV Tuner, then that is discovered using DLNA, so I think you will need to leave DLNA Controller running on the PC.

Experiment!

PS: I don't understand " it forces me to enter a DLNA profile...". MC never forces you to enter a DLNA Profile. It has a default, and uses that if you don't set one up. But anyway, your environment is a bit complex and exceptional isn't it? Perhaps start a new thread for this question.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 03:16:11 pm »

Quite a different question, but...
Still related to DLNA servers and how they're being used. Sorry to the OP hopefully your question was answered  :)
You can leave Media Network turned on in the PC that you don't want to run as a DLNA Server, and turn off the DLNA Server, DLNA Renderer, and possibly DLNA Controller. That PC will still connect to a MC Server and act as a MC Client.

PS: I don't understand " it forces me to enter a DLNA profile...". MC never forces you to enter a DLNA Profile. It has a default, and uses that if you don't set one up. But anyway, your environment is a bit complex and exceptional isn't it? Perhaps start a new thread for this question.
If you experiment RoderickGI you'll see this is not possible.  If it is I don't know how as you CAN'T delete all DLNA profiles or just turn DLNA off...  It' s not that big of a deal really but they show up on my Samsung TV, other devices and would like to only have one PC for DLNA. And the option to turn them all off while keeping the server part running.
If you are using a Network TV Tuner, then that is discovered using DLNA, so I think you will need to leave DLNA Controller running on the PC.

I am not. I'm using Hauppauge cards and they work great.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 04:34:31 pm »

When you say DLNA Profiles I assume you mean the DLNA Server profiles in settings. I don't know if you can or can't delete all of those, and I don't want to try as it could muck up my installation here. But you don't need to delete those as they won't be used if you don't have "DLNA Server" turned on in MC.

If you do turn off "DLNA Server" in MC, that PC should no longer show up on your TV and other devices. See image. Untick DLNA Server. Reboot the devices if necessary as they will remember previous DLNA Servers for some time.

I just turned off the DLNA Server, Renderer, and Controller settings on both my HTPC MC Server and Workstation PC, and then connected the Workstation to the HTPC MC Server as a Client and played some audio and video from the MC Server Library on both the Server and the Client using the Workstation as a Client. It worked, as expected.

I just ran BubbleUPnP and that doesn't see any MC DLNA Servers or Renderers now. PingTools remembers that it used to see MC DLNA Servers, but they aren't active anymore. My Sony TV also remembers that it used to see the MC Servers, but shows them as no longer available.

The MC Client/Server configuration works without DLNA being turned on. It does use some DLNA/UPnP functionality I think for some stuff, but your devices shouldn't see a DLNA Server from any PC that has the MC DLNA Server turned off. If your devices do see a DLNA Server from the PC that has it turned off in MC, perhaps some other DLNA Server is running?

And the option to turn them all off while keeping the server part running.

If you mean the ability to turn off the DLNA functionality, but retain the MC Library Server functionality, and Client/Server mode, I just demonstrated that works.

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 05:37:11 pm »

Incredible... All I had to do was to click on « Advanced » to find what I was looking for....Thx RoderickGI!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up