INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help resolving upnp dropouts  (Read 901 times)

Niko

• Recent member
Help resolving upnp dropouts
« on: November 03, 2020, 03:18:30 am »

Hi there,

I hope everything is well with you.

I'm using a new upnp renderer (Wattson Emerson Digital) and I'm experiencing dropouts (1 to 5 seconds) while playing music. Sometimes after the dropout, it moves to the next track without finishing the one that was playing (just happened).

I hadn't this behaviour with my previous upnp renderer (Usbridge).

I've already tried following without solving the issue :

- powercycling everything (router, switch, NAS, server...)
- tried different versions of JRiver on different computers + adapting the recommended setting from DMRA WhiteBear software

Yesterday I've made a clean and fresh install of Windows 10 on my dedicated computer.
Fresh install of JRiver, restored library and settings.
No specific antivirus is running, Windows Defender exclusions have been updated according to this thread : https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114101.0.html

The dropouts are still there with JRiver. I've tried other upnp servers (Foobar on the same computer, from the Synology : minimserver and DS audio) and it works without dropouts.

The network seems fine, the pc running JRiver has a bandwith of 200 Mbps with the NAS which should be plenty enough.

I've enabled logging in JRiver, tried to check a bit what happens over Wireshark but I'm not able to see or understand what is wrong.
They are constant file access on my music files on the NAS when JRiver is running, couldn't detect much more as I don't know what to check.

Using another upnp server or renderer doesn't show the issue.

How can I better track the issue please ? It feels like a bottelneck somewhere.
The PC running W10 + JRiver isn't so powerfull but has always done the job.

Is there may be somewhere an option in JRiver to increase the buffer for the loading of the music files from the NAS ?

I've attached JRiver logs, the dropout happened like 5-10 seconds before the reported has been generated.

Thanks in advance for your help and support.
Regards,
Nicolas

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help resolving upnp dropouts
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 06:54:54 am »

It could be file size/bandwidth.  Try converting to something smaller, just to test.

Niko

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 06:26:55 am »

Hi,

It happens with 16/44.1 flac as with 24/96 flac.

Still having dropout with JRiver acting as the upnp server, the music files are located on a NAS. So JRiver has to load them from the NAS and then send them to the renderer.
I already tried to reinstall again JRiver and indexing the library from scratch.

I've checked with Wireshark but couldn' find an explanation like transfer error or so.

The issue is with this exact chain of transmission NAS > JRiver (upnp server) > renderer.

If JRiver only act as a control point and controls the upnp server of the NAS : it works.

I've checked my NAS settings, network settings, all seems fine. I don't think it comes from the network as everything else is working.

If I use another upnp server on the same computer where JRiver is installed : it works. For me the issue doesn't comes from the network nor the computer.

What other options could I try do enable or disable in JRiver to make this renderer work please ?

Thanks in advance,
Nico

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 07:15:10 am »

Double check Windows Defender.

Uninstall any other antivirus.

Check conversion settings for the DLNA Server.

Toggle SetnextAVTransport.

Try AndrewFG's program.

Niko

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 08:09:43 am »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your support.

I will try to play again with the antivirus, even if it has no impact in all my tests.

There is no conversion on the DLNA server, I had some loud pops and cracks using the standard setting "specified output format" even if no DSP or any conversion was activated  :-[

I had to set it to "original" to remove the cracks and pops (the renderer supports 24 bits) :

I've already used DMRA software to help me finding the best settings, which I applied :

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 08:32:07 am »

Try toggling the last two options shown in the DMRA image.

That you were getting pops from the DAC isn't a good sign.

Try toggling the last two options shown above.

Niko

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 08:48:42 am »

It's a network player with an spdif output.

I've activated both last options (pulling + ignore setNext) but directly had the "dropout + track change bug" : track1 dropout -> switched to track 2 dropout again -> switched to track 3

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 04:25:02 pm »

I haven’t really studied this thread, but if you are getting dropouts but otherwise everything else works, then that sounds like a bandwidth problem to me. Either the bit rate is more than your network can deliver, or more than your hard disk can deliver.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Niko

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 03:47:54 am »

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

For me the different issues (dropouts, pops) are between JRiver acting as an upnp server (file access on the NAS) and this network player.

Not having dropouts or pops if I use another upnp server on the same computer (Foobar, Minimserver..) or on the Nas (DS Audio, Minimsever), this shows for me that the issue doesn't seems related to hardware or network. If the DNLA stream is pushed from the NAS to the network player directly it works (same network chain).
If JRiver has to catch the files from the NAS before pushing them to this network renderer, the dropouts appear.

All was working perfectly with the same setup and an Allo Usbridge for years, but ok the Usbridge is Rpi based which may be helps.

I've made multiple download tests from the NAS to the computer hosting JRiver and I'm constantly over 200 Mbps (at least 26 MB/s). The audio server has enough Ram (MemTest already done) and empty free space on his SSD.

I'm waiting for an answer from the manufacturer. I don't understand it's not working with JRiver as I'm used too. Don't really want to quit using JRiver at all  :) 

MikeO

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 06:49:27 am »

Just a thought, have you checked the settings for pre loading the track into memory. I am not at my PC but it’s in the Audio section of Options from memory
Pages: [1]   Go Up