INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copy 27's Views, Tools/Options - All its Settings (with no library established)?  (Read 437 times)

Music_Man

• Junior Woodchuck

I want to copy MC 27’s Views, Tools/Option - All settings -- from 1-PC to my 2nd. PC. 

Important: NO libraries have been saved (& thus, none need to be copied).  I’ve been using Library/Import to allow me to alter file tags. Once tagged, the Library is Cleared & another is Imported & Cleared.  I’ve been doing this 1-folder at a time for my clarity sake.  I now want to modify files on a 2nd. PC's HD, before compiling the entire library from each PC.   

With no Library’s, how do I copy JRMS’s settings from 1-Windows 10 PC to another?

Music_Man

• Junior Woodchuck

Ok, so I think I've answered my own question. 

The answer appears to be as simple as creating a backup on one PC and restoring it on another PC as instructed here:  https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup -- and as noted at the bottom of this page as follows:  "You can restore a Library Backup created by a copy of MC running on a different computer. This will allow you to migrate settings, or your Library, from one computer to another."

I have no files in my library, nevertheless it's assumed that a library exists and although it lacks media files, it contains all of my Settings (including Views).  Therefore, the Settings will be backed-up and then I simply transport the Backup to the other PC and do a Restore.  Duh, reading the Help Contents well....helps  ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Correct. MC won't launch without a Library. The Library includes not just imported files, but almost everything you "see" onscreen when you open MC including:
* All Library Views in the Tree, in Theater View, and in the Media Network (JRemote/Panel/etc).
* All playlists and smart lists.
* Podcasts.
* A number of "hidden" databases, including previously seen files (things imported once, but then removed from MC), Optical Disc database, TV Recording schedules, and a variety of other similar items.

And a Library Backup includes all of this, and also includes ALL the settings on the system: the DSP Settings, everything in Tools > Options, Zones, and even the Library Manager (including the "setup for" all of the other Libraries your system might know about).

Not only can you restore them to other machines, in oder to "clone" your setup from one machine to another, they even work cross-platform. So if you want to move (or clone) from a Windows copy of MC to a Mac copy of MC? Same deal. Backup on one, restore on the other. In most cases when you do this, you'll need to then re-import all of your files or fix them with find-and-replace in RMCF (because the filesystem is very different, and file paths won't match) but, you can still get 85% of the way there with a Library Restore).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up