INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gapless Playback with UPNP and DLNA  (Read 2206 times)

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
Gapless Playback with UPNP and DLNA
« on: November 17, 2020, 04:39:22 am »

I am struggling trialling a control app, mConnect, it seems not to provide gapless but it’s a control app why should it have an impact, it shouldn’t touch the signal? MC server to renderer by Ethernet

I have used Andrews tool to check my renderer, Cambridge Audio CXN, it returns gapless true. I have gapless set in options

Playing from MC controlled by JRemote I get gapless (dark side of the moon), likewise using StreamMagic the CA app I get gapless

Using mConnect I don’t ?

MConnect claims gapless by uPNP , the only difference I can see is DLNA v uPNP. They provide two gapless option switches neither makes any difference.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn’t JRemote work with a protocol outside of uPNP/DLNA

The only reason I am considering this app is that in one app it gives me access to my local DLNA library and to Tidal in a direct stream to my hifi rather than having to AirPlay to the CXN wirelessly

Clearly if it doesn’t support gapless it’s a dead loss

Anybody got any ideas ? MConnect support suggest it is my renderer which it clearly isn’t

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Gapless Playback with UPNP and DLNA
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 06:26:00 am »

Try setting the MC server to no conversion.

MikeO

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 08:04:47 am »

What will that do ?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 04:37:46 pm »

As you get Gapless when you play local files (in the MC Library) from MC to the CXN using MC as the DLNA Server and JRemote DLNA Controller, then do you also get Gapless if you simply replace JRemote with mConnect?

If Gapless does work in that situation, but doesn't work when you try to play Tidal to the CXN, then mConnect is probably having the same issue as when people try to play Tidal via the WDM Driver and MC to a DLNA Renderer; streams of unknown length can't be played to a DLNA Renderer.

But it may not be that straight forward.

By the way, the DLNA Controller is involved in sending the SetNextAVTransportURI, which is what enables Gapless playback to a DLNA Renderer.

If you are using mConnect as a source of Tidal content, then is is really acting as a Streamer, and DLNA Controller for the CXN DLNA Renderer. That is quite a different thing. I assume that Tidal will play locally on the device when using mConnect.

Also, JRemote uses a mixture of JRiver MCWS and uPNP/DLNA. When playing to a DLNA Renderer, it must use the DLNA protocol. Basically, it uses MCWS and the JRiver Access Key method to connect to a MC Library Server, and DLNA for just about everything else, I think. I could be wrong.

PS: I've only ever checked out mConnect Lite on Android, so don't know its full capabilities.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

MikeO

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 10:13:39 pm »

Thanks, comprehensive as ever

Tidal via mconnect works fine , I assume by DLNA as I am not using the iPad to stream

DLNA via JRemote runs fine, DLNA  via the CXN app works fine

I don’t think it’s my system, it’s the app, I was really just checking my facts

Between tracks I see the wait circle on the app, then the artwork changes, I suspect the app is too busy processing the artwork to move tracks, it not an iPad issue it’s a new spec iPad Pro. It must be the app. My old Mede8er had the same issue

It’s with their support team now

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 02:22:06 am »

It takes two to tango: The renderer must support the gapless command. And the Control Point must send it.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

MikeO

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 03:13:05 am »

Thanks Andrew , I think that’s the issue . I need to persuade mConnect of that

It looks like a $10 experiment gone wrong, c’est la vie

I’ll report back if they fix it. It was a nice option with my local MC library and Tidal in one app
Pages: [1]   Go Up