INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analyze files is not fully analyzing all files and other issues  (Read 586 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
Analyze files is not fully analyzing all files and other issues
« on: November 17, 2020, 07:56:30 am »

This has been an issue for some time.

I created a custom search for files with missing information in any of the fields analysis would fill, to list any files not fully analyzed.  The results are interesting.

Several files have been analyzed, and had almost all fields filled, but has left some blank for some reason.  Re-analyzing doesn't fix this, they just keep having some blank fields.  Usually either in Peak Level (Sample) or BPM remains blank when all other fields are populated with values.

The other issue is some files seem to be un-analyzed at all, and all fields related to this analysis are blank, but the analysis tool still wants to skip them as if they are analyzed already.  I suspect there is some other field that has been filled, which is not in my search, and not in the display, so I'm not sure what might be 'tricking' MC into thinking these files are already analyzed.

There doesn't seem to be anything special about these particular files to me, but I'm happy to send samples, or anything else which might help resolve.
pretend this is something funny

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Analyze files is not fully analyzing all files and other issues
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 08:05:50 am »

You can make an expression column with the Expression "=AudioAnalysisState()", that'll tell you why MC skips a file.
There is usually some failure reason, so re-running it wouldn't resolve it.

Similarly, perhaps the BPM analyser failed for some files for some reason, thus the field remains empty.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 08:35:38 am »

Thanks Hendrik

I've added that expression column, and it only says "Done" for the ones that aren't fully done.  The other 2 at the bottom say they don't have audio, which is weird.

I obviously have no idea why the BPM analyzer may have failed, nor do I have any idea how to resolve said failure, except to bring it to your attention.

Also, as you can see in the first screenshot, it's only BPM that's blank in some files, and on other files BPM is filled, but Peak Level (Sample) is blank.  Seems weird some parts of analysis are 'failing' depending on file, and not consistently.

I'm happy to help troubleshoot, or provide samples if necessary.  Please just let me know how I can help 'fix' this.

Of the 4 that were totally blank, I've finished analyzing 2, and am currently analyzing the remaining 2 (the 2 highlighted in the screenshot).  They are taking WAAYYY longer than other files of similar size; not sure why.

Also, these 2 files are showing inconsistent percentages of being finished, 2 screenshots show the anomaly.  % complete goes up and down and also from done to 40% done, all in the same analysis.

Something seems broken.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 08:50:37 am »

It's been 13 minutes since one said "Done", but that file is now telling me it's 52% done.  13 minutes AFTER it told me it finished, and populated the fields showing it did finish.

6 minutes since I grabbed that screenshot, and it's only made it to 77%, and Double Tap is still telling me 28% finished.

Also, here is a mediainfo from Skywalker & Double Tap, which look like 'normal' files to me.  Meaning, nothing unusual about the media that I can see.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 08:57:44 am »

Typically the reason for inconsistent progress is that the video changes its audio format, which the analyzer doesn't support. It needs one consistent format, since it analyzes per-channel peaks and whatnot, if channels come and go all its information is invalid now, and depending on where in the video this happens, it may start over (very early) or just call it quits (very late).

In default configuration, we try to suppress changes to some degree, so that should be rather rare. You are not using a custom video settings with custom LAV settings by any chance?

PS:
Could you shrink your screenshots a bit? There is several screens full of screenshots on really high resolutions here that make it really hard to follow the thread at times. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 09:34:26 am »

I've uploaded smaller screenshots, sorry.

If the video changing audio format is causing the issues, it seems you could stop it from switching, or force it to use/analyze just one audio file.  I don't pretend to know why there might be a good reason to just switch audio files mid-stream, but it seems like something that should not happen.  It doesn't do this (that I can tell) when watching a video, so that seems weird.

The file that finished, then was not finished (Skywalker) only has one audio file.  It showed completed, and populated the values, then went back to being unfinished, and continued to "analyze" this file for another almost 15 minutes.  A 'normal' file of that size takes maybe 10 minutes normally.

Additionally, why only fill BPM or Peak Level (Sample) for files that are otherwise complete?

I re-analyzed one file which had all analysis fields populated, except Peak Level (Sample), and upon completion, it populated this field, and now appears to be fully analyzed.  What would have prevented the field being populated when I first analyzed, but then changed to populate this field if run a second time?

I'm not using any custom resolutions or settings, neither in LAV, nor in MadVR.  I just have it set to high quality in the settings.

It still seems broken to me.  Is there anything else I can do or provide to help fix this?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 02:03:29 am »

Neither Peak Level (Sample) or BPM actually have a failure mode, and Peak Level (Sample) is directly computed in the same code as Peak Level (R128), so not sure how that could ever end up empty, except maybe for some reason the database didn't take the value.

For the videos, you wouldn't necessarily notice during playback if it changed the audio format. Thats more of a technical thing most of the time. But the file could also have some other weirdness that confuses it.

If you have a small file that consistently doesn't produce some values, even on re-analysis, that would be something we can look at.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 08:31:55 am »

Thanks for the info.  It sounds like it's not something you can easily fix, so I'll just live with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up