INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dynamically Switch Zones - Navigation Enhancement  (Read 714 times)

mdx1

• World Citizen
Dynamically Switch Zones - Navigation Enhancement
« on: November 13, 2020, 01:10:57 pm »

Is it possible to dynamically switch from one zone to another and play the same song?

Use case:
Use JRemote to play from a server to Zone 1.  Later on from the same computer/server, try to play the same song to the local zone (Player) on that computer.  But the music still plays on Zone 1. 

In order to play the same song on the local zone, I have to change to the local zone under Play Now and locate that song again under Audio.

Is there a quicker way to accomplish that?  It would be great if there was a drop down list of zones from the top where the zone name is shown. 

Similarly it would be nice to have a backward/forward navigation button to go back to a previous zone without losing the place like the PDF reader, the Windows Explorer. or a browser.
Nelson

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Dynamically Switch Zones - Navigation Enhancement
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 05:24:37 am »

As far as I am aware, the Now Playing lists are unique to each zone and I doubt if there is any way to dynamically switch from one zone to another and play the same song.

The quickest way to switch between zones on a PC is to use Ctrl-T.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 09:53:07 am »

In order to play the same song on the local zone, I have to change to the local zone under Play Now and locate that song again under Audio.

Is there a quicker way to accomplish that?
Not exactly the dynamic switch you are asking for, but on a PC you can avoid the trip to Audio with the Play Now > Overview screen.  Highlight the songs you want to copy from Zone1 and use the RMB context menu "Send" to copy to another zone.

I don't have JRemote or JRemote2 - is the issue that your Zone1 track list is not properly populated on the PC?  For example when I access MC DLNA server from Android using BubbleUPnP, unfortunately the full Android DLNA playlist does not simultaneously appear in the PC's corresponding Playing Now > BubbleUPnP zone.  However, an album added to the Android playlist which has had at least one track played shows up on my PC's Audio Recently Played (custom view)!  From there, I can redirect tracks to any PC zone.

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 11:05:43 am »

Is there a quicker way to accomplish that?  It would be great if there was a drop down list of zones from the top where the zone name is shown. 

Have you tried adding the zone button to the toolbar (Tools/options/Tree & View/ Customize Toolbar)?
This may give you some of what you want.

You can use a playlist, start playback of the list and then stop playback and switch to different zone via the toolbar.  The same playlist will remain on the view. You can do something similar if you are playing a single album.

Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 05:04:05 pm »

Which JRemote are you using? JRemote for iOS, JRemote for Android, or JRemote2 for Android?

The easiest way today to do what you want would be to save Playing Now as a Playlist, and then play that Playlist on the local Player Zone. Unfortunately saving a playlist isn't implemented in JRemote2 yet. I don't know about the other versions.

On a PC you could link Zone 1 and Player temporarily, and then unlink them later. Linking may even copy the Playing Now list to the Player Zone, so then you could unlink and stop playback on Zone 1. Try that and see. The linking sequence is important. I got into work once with a non-Player Zone, but it wasn't consistent.

There is no simple "Move the Playing Now list from Zone 1 to the Player Zone and continue playing" function. At least a couple of people have asked for that, or something similar, and particularly from JRemote rather on the PC. So, keep asking.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 03:28:47 pm »

The quickest way to switch between zones on a PC is to use Ctrl-T.

Ctrl-T works.  It cycles through all zones with each press.  It is not the quickest but it works.  Thank you for the suggestion.
Nelson

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 03:30:59 pm »

Highlight the songs you want to copy from Zone1 and use the RMB context menu "Send" to copy to another zone.

I did not know the Send to option.  it works too although the view stays at  the current zone.
Nelson

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 03:33:31 pm »

Have you tried adding the zone button to the toolbar (Tools/options/Tree & View/ Customize Toolbar)?
This may give you some of what you want.

Wow!  This is the best option so far.  It is pretty much what I was asking except the button is not directly by the zone name under the title of the song that is currently playing.

Thank you for posting this option.
Nelson

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 03:40:04 pm »

Which JRemote are you using? JRemote for iOS, JRemote for Android, or JRemote2 for Android?

I am using the original JRemote on iOS.  I was not aware of JRemote2.  What is the difference?

I prefer to have JRemote fixed on the living room with a Raspberry Pie3 based endpoint to a DAC.  When I go back to the computer running MC, I would like to play to its local zone (aka Player) or to another endpoint driven DAC in the computer room/HO.
Nelson

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 04:47:43 pm »

What is the difference?

It runs on Android, not iOS.

If you are trying to do the above while sitting at a PC it is far easier than doing it from JRemote. The Right Mouse Button Send-To commands works fine. You can Drag & Drop track from one Zone to another. You can Stop playback on the current Zone, which will usually save the Playing Now list to the "Recent Playing Now" Playlist (anything that changes Playing Now contents writes this Playlist), and then switch Zones, then play the "Recent Playing Now" Playlist, which will play on the current Zone. You can select the contents of Playing Now, then right-click, Send-To > Playlist > Create Playlist" and save the tracks as a new Playlist, then play it on any Zone you wish. Etc.

Then you just need to switch Zone in one of several methods (Click in tree, Ctrl+T, use the top menu "Player > Zone > {select a Zone}", use the Zone Button on the Toolbar) and select Play.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 08:22:31 pm »

I did not know the Send to option.  it works too although the view stays at  the current zone.

Then you just need to switch Zone in one of several methods (Click in tree, Ctrl+T, use the top menu "Player > Zone > {select a Zone}", use the Zone Button on the Toolbar) and select Play.

In the Player > Overview screen:

You can drag/drop tracks from Zone 1 to the desired zone. Then to play:
-- Click once on the desired zone column header (switches zone) and use the player control at top of screen
-- Or just double click the first track you want to play (switches zone and plays)

If you copy tracks from Zone 1 using RMB 3-level menu Send To > Play (zone) > Play the tracks are immediately played in the desired zone without switching from current zone.

... so many choices :) .
Pages: [1]   Go Up