INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD's ripped/burned on JRiver won't play on Cambridge CXC.  (Read 936 times)

mick wolfe

• Recent member
CD's ripped/burned on JRiver won't play on Cambridge CXC.
« on: November 23, 2020, 10:56:15 am »

Pretty amateur question for this forum, but I've got to ask anyway. CD-R's ripped/burned on JRiver will not play on my Cambridge CXC transport (Denafrips Ares DAC), yet will play on my Teac PD-H600 CDP. The Teac is used as a transport only as well feeding a Line Magnetic DAC. Both to the best of my knowledge are Red Book only. Thx for any thoughts on this one.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: CD's ripped/burned on JRiver won't play on Cambridge CXC.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 11:10:31 am »

According to the Cambridge Web-Site the CXC only plays Standard CD's and SACDs that contain an SACD layer and a CD layer.

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202734652-What-disc-formats-does-the-CXC-support-
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

mick wolfe

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 07:22:46 pm »

According to the Cambridge Web-Site the CXC only plays Standard CD's and SACDs that contain an SACD layer and a CD layer.

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202734652-What-disc-formats-does-the-CXC-support-

Thx. Yes, but the same could be said for the Teac. Both are basically Red Book only players, yet the Teac plays the CD-R's ripped/burned on JRiver.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 10:57:04 pm »

Unlike the Cambridge the Teac can play - CD-DA, CD-R/RW, MP3 and, WMA discs - which is why it will play your discs but the Cambridge won't..

http://audio.teac.com/product/pd-h600/specifications/
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 08:17:56 am »

The Cambridge CXC manual says it reads CD-R discs with the appropriate logo - Compact Disc Digital Audio. Unfortunately, the logo does not copy here, but it is in the manual.

"Normal disc play

This unit has been designed to play compact discs, recordable
CDs (CD-R) and re-writable CDs (CD-RW) bearing the
identification logo shown here. No other discs can be used.
Any CD-R/CD-RW discs should contain properly recorded
TOC (Table of Contents) information so that they can be played back. This unit
can play only the discs recorded in the CD-DA format designed for music
reproduction. Do not attempt to play a disc containing other data, such as a
CD-ROM for PCs with MP3 or WMA files, on this unit. This unit
can play only the discs recorded in the CD-DA format designed for music
reproduction.  This unit can play only the discs recorded in the CD-DA format designed for music
reproduction. Do not attempt to play a disc containing other data, such as a
CD-ROM for PCs with MP3 or WMA files, on this unit."

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/cx/cxc

mick wolfe

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 08:22:29 am »

Yep....I think you hit the nail on the head.  I made a copy of the JRiver CD-R on Windows Media Player and sure enough, it plays on the CXC. Thx

mick wolfe

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 08:45:00 am »

Thx to both of you for your replies. I guess my last simple question would be, is there a something I'm missing in the JRiver settings that would allow CD-R rip/burns to play on the Cambridge?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 08:52:28 am »

Sorry - cannot help with that. I do not use that function.

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 10:25:49 am »

No you aren't missing anything that option doesn't exist.

I'm curious as to why you are ripping the files in MC, and then burning them to a CD-R
Since the files exist in MC why not connect the DAC to your PC so that you can play them from MC instead of burning them to disc and playing the CD-R on the Cambridge?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 10:57:58 am »

I'm curious as to why you are ripping the files in MC, and then burning them to a CD-R
Since the files exist in MC why not connect the DAC to your PC so that you can play them from MC instead of burning them to disc and playing the CD-R on the Cambridge?

Me too. Playing them directly to the DAC would be my one (and only) move.

Unless of course there is a portability factor we are missing here?

VP

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 11:05:53 am »

No you aren't missing anything that option doesn't exist.

What functionality is missing?

mick wolfe

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 01:54:21 pm »

A big thanks to all who replied. I'll continue to weigh options.
Pages: [1]   Go Up