INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Regress/revert Portable application version and/or library+settings?  (Read 419 times)

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
  • I love music and great audio!

Two questions:

I have a library+settings backup from a Portable install of 27.0.37. Every time, before updating a Portable install, I create a zip of the entire, current Portable install folder as a 'safety' regression point. Can I unzip back to, e.g., 27.0.26, then, restore a library+settings backup made under 27.0.37? Or, will I get a) errors when I try to use the library, and/or b) a message like 'you're trying to restore a database from a later version of the application...'?

I updated a Portable install from 27.0.26 to 27.0.37. Is there anything preventing me from 'installing' 27.0.26 back over-top of 27.0.37, assuming I want to regress/revert to that version? Would this leave behind a proper/thorough regression, or would it be a hack job leading to potential issues?

Normally I would simply restore the earlier 'safety' zip and be done with it. However, I applied many networking-related and other settings between .26 and .37, so I'd like to avoid repeating all that grunt work again on three systems. ;)

Thank you.

Derek Pert
(Windows 11 Pro x64 / 32GB RAM)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Regress/revert Portable application version and/or library+settings?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 08:03:48 am »

It's rare for us to increment the database version, and we'd say.  So it should be fine to restore from old backups or to restore from newer backups than the program.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 09:18:40 am »

Thanks! Very cool to know.
Derek Pert

d_pert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 09:33:20 am »

Just out of interest -- What happens if a new Option setting (like a checkbox item) is added between the versions? E.g., Does the 'new' line item / named object in some INI file just sit there like a vestigial feature, not affecting the application until a newer version comes along later and reads-applies it?
Derek Pert
Pages: [1]   Go Up