INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Edit Genre List  (Read 1138 times)

pilotbum

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Edit Genre List
« on: November 27, 2020, 07:55:13 pm »

Is there a way to edit the Genre list?

I have a lot of music with numbers for genres and other oddities. I'd like to be able to just delete the weird ones without deleting the attached music files. Most of tracks with the weird genres have multiple genres attached. 

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Edit Genre List
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 11:29:12 pm »

There is no Genre list built into MC. You misunderstand how it works.

The reason those Genres are visible in you Library, is because your files are tagged with them. To change the list, you simply select the files and change the Genre.

If you change ALL of them that have a particular Genre, then that one will disappear from the list of Genres. If you have no files at all imported (or none of them tagged with a Genre) then the Genres list will be empty.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wer

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 11:59:38 pm »

In other words, the "list" you see is just a list of values you've already entered, or are already present in the tags.

If you want to edit it, just type in a new value.

pilotbum

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 12:15:08 am »

I knew there was not default list but in my case I have genres that I have no clue where they came from, many of which are just numbers. But most artists/albums/tracks have multiple genres attached and I was hoping there's a way I could just delete the genres I don't want easily without having to edit all the tags. Guess not...

Thanks fellas...

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 12:52:11 am »

There is a very easy way to remove those "weird genres"

In the tree under Audio there is a Library View called "Genres" if you expand it you will see a list of all the Genres Present in the Database/Tags

Next you right click on one of the weird genres in that list and select rename and simply remove the "genre name" and MC will remove that particular genre from every track it appears in.

N.B. Do not use the right-click Delete option because that doesn't delete the genre it deletes every track containing that genre!
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

pilotbum

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 12:58:47 am »

In the tree under Audio there is a Library View called "Genres" if you expand it you will see a list of all the Genres Present in the Database/Tags

Next you right click on one of the weird genres in that list and select rename and simply remove the "genre name" and MC will remove that particular genre from every track it appears in.

N.B. Do not use the right-click Delete option because that doesn't delete the genre it deletes every track containing that genre!

When I do that this is how it ends up...

pilotbum

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 01:05:46 am »

This is how it ends up...

EnglishTiger

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 01:13:12 am »

Pilot - sometimes MC doesn't refresh the list after editing genre names. Sometimes collapsing the "Genres" view, collapsing the "Audio" section and then expanding both will refresh the list.
Win NUC - VENOEN 11Th NUC Mini PC Core i7 1165G7,Dual HDMI 2.0+Mini DP,Windows 11 Mini Desktop Computer,Thunderbolt 4.0,1 Lan, USB-C,Wifi,Bluetooth 5.0,32GB RAM Toshiba MQ04ABF100 ‎500Gb 5400 RPM ‎eSATA HD, Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD 1Tb NVMe SSD, Samsung 870 QVO 8 TB SATA 2.5 Inch SSD (MZ-77Q8T0) in Sabrent Ultra Slim USB 3.0 to 2.5-Inch SATA External Aluminium Hard Drive Enclosure (EC-UK30)

Apple 2020 Mac mini M1 Chip (8GB RAM, 512GB SSD)
Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 to Dual NVMe M.2 SSD Tool-Free Enclosure with Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 High Performance SSD + Crucial P3 Plus 4TB M.2 PCIe

ET Skins & TrackInfo Plugins - https://englishtiger.uk/index.html

pilotbum

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 01:22:07 am »

Thanks!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 01:27:02 am »

Which is just one way to re-tag your files. There are many ways to mass-edit tags. You can also do it in any Pane-style View as well. Right-click on one of the values under the Pane for the tag you want to change and choose Rename. Type in whatever you want, or blank to reset it back to Unassigned.

This is the same as selecting the item, selecting all of the files, and changing the tag in the Tag Action Window, though it has the benefit that it lets you operate on just that value (leaving other values for list-type fields, like [Genre], intact).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up