INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modify Results - How does it work ?  (Read 306 times)

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Modify Results - How does it work ?
« on: December 03, 2020, 06:09:40 am »

It turns out that Mediacenter reaches its limits even on the fastest computers when larger databases and more complex filters are used.
In order to use these in the best possible way, I would like to understand how they work.
So far I have assumed that 'Modify Result' in the 'Edit Search' dialog refers to the dataset filtered in the same dialog. The filter delivers a limited dataset and with 'Expand' this dataset is then expanded to include additional elements which do not meet the filter condition. Correct?
The resulting dataset is at most as large as the unfiltered dataset. It is the basis for the view - i.e. for categories and panes which apply further filters to it.
To do this, this operation must be carried out once when the view is opened and it can take some time. The selection via Panes then works with this reduced data set and should react very quickly.

The application now shows that each new selection in the panes, from one artist to the next or from album to album, can take up to a second or longer. The reason is the complex filter of the view, which is executed again every time the selection is changed.
This renewed query would make sense if the current selection were to influence this expansion. But they don't do that.
If a MultiArtist album is selected via a pane, the Modifier Expand 'Artist' of the view does NOT ensure that all other titles of the participating artists are listed. Those that are on the selected album are displayed unchanged.

I can't see the point of re-expanding after every change in selection. I only see the significant delays. What am I missing?
Pages: [1]   Go Up