INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD to MP4 with MC27  (Read 418 times)

bson

DVD to MP4 with MC27
« on: December 14, 2020, 06:00:33 pm »

I'm wondering how to get from an unprotected DVD to an mp4 of the main video.  This is old stuff of special interest, and I'd like to get them off DVD and onto my NAS.  MC will rip the DVD fine, and I get a folder of mostly VOB files 1GB each.  There's six or seven of them per disc.  But if I use "convert format" on the title, it only gives some random track, usually a brief commentary.  I don't actually care about that at all.  I can play the title, and it even gets the chapter indexing, but when transcoded to MP4 it's kinda random what you get.  Also, I see no options to change the output mp4 profile and transcode settings (neither transcode speed or file size is a factor).  Any thoughts here?  Ideally I'd love for each track to end up in a separate mp4 with chapter and other tags, with all audio tracks from the original TS, and an XML sidecar.  This is on Win10 Pro.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DVD to MP4 with MC27
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 06:10:24 pm »

I suggest you try ripping with MakeMKV.

MikeO

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 10:28:08 pm »

Agree MakeMKV is free and very reliable, I used it when I ripped my DVD collection

Also it’s Free , or was

bson

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 02:42:32 pm »

MakeMKV is working nicely!  Off the bat it looks like it wraps the original MPEG-2 TS in MKV containers with one per track, which works perfectly fine for my needs.  It rips pretty quickly, too.  Excellent suggestion - thanks!

wer

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 03:08:00 pm »

Strictly speaking, Matroska (MKV) is a different container format. It supports chapters and metadata, which mpeg-ts does not. It of course losslessly preserves the original content of the disc. It has very wide, but not universal, support.

MKV is much more flexible than TS, and is more flexible than any other format, in my opinion.  Pretty much the only thing it doesn't do is preserve interactive DVD menus (which I don't want, and if you do you can use IFO for that). You should read up on it. It also has useful features like Ordered Chapters, and other such things.

MakeMKV will put each Title from your disc in a different file.  You can select which audio and subtitle tracks you want included, and change their name or other parameters at rip time.

Also look at MKV Toolnix GUI. This is a graphical front end to various MKV utilities, that allows you to do things like edit chapter information, and losslessly remux/split/combine video files (including, for example adjusting the A/V sync).

Have fun...
Pages: [1]   Go Up