INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote library  (Read 1321 times)

piccoloconte

• Junior Woodchuck
Remote library
« on: November 28, 2020, 05:03:23 am »

Hi, I added my films that are in shared folders on a PC server in my local network, the jriver library after some time is populated with various metadata and cover art, but when I turn off the various PCs and them turning on the library is no longer there and takes a long time to repopulate, I thought that once the library was loaded it was immediately available ...
Is there a way to speed up the times, or do I have to install a jriver server on the remote pc?
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Remote library
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 05:47:10 am »

Read about Media Network and Library Server on the wiki.  You can use one PC to serve files to another.  The second is called a client.

Changes made on the client won't be synced back to the server unless you set authentication on the server.  That's in the Media Network settings.

piccoloconte

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 12:37:27 pm »

I created the library in the remote pc and connected from the client pc, the problem now is that when I connect the client to the server library it disconnects the default local library and the tv settings and local files disappear.
Can both libraries be connected?
Thanks

piccoloconte

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 03:14:16 pm »

I think I have solved ...
Thanks

piccoloconte

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 07:45:56 am »

I created the library in the remote pc and connected from the client pc, the problem now is that when I connect the client to the server library it disconnects the default local library and the tv settings and local files disappear.
Can both libraries be connected?
Thanks

I need help...
My configuration includes audio and images on client pc, movies on server pc.
How do I make all my files available without having to load the various libraries?
Thanks

wer

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 08:11:34 am »

The software can access one library at a time.

You can share the movie files over the network and import them from the network share into the client pc library to have all available at the same time.

piccoloconte

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 08:16:15 am »

Is it possible to know what the procedure is? cause i'm trying everything but i can't ...
I tried several times to go to the library / Main Library and import from there, it seems to work but then when the PCs restart the remote library does not load
Thanks

piccoloconte

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 04:07:10 am »

After days of tests done with the library I came to a conclusion, jriver loses memory / synchronization of the data loaded in the library.
I try to explain, my albums and images, as written above, are on the local pc, while my films on the remote pc in shared folders on the network. Since I find the server / client configuration inconvenient because every time you want to see a movie you have to disconnect the default library (where the TV is configured, among other things) to access the server library, I preferred to set all my local and remote folders in the default library.
Everything seems to work fine, the library is populated with cover art images and movie metadata, if I turn off the server pc the library shows a small prohibition icon in the cover art thumbnails of the movies, so this makes me think that the remote file data has been loaded in the library and that are synchronized with the remote folders, in fact the prohibition logo is saying that the files are not accessible.
When I turn off all the PCs and then turn them back on in the library I no longer find the remote files and jriver takes a long time to reload them.
Thanks

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 05:06:25 am »

Many of us use MediaCenter in similar configurations.
There seems to be an option turned on which removes db entries from files which are unavailable. Dont't ask me which. There are many.

One more option you should turn off is 'Display missing file image in lists (slow on networks)' in Tree&View\Advanced. This option forces MC to read every file everytime you browse the library.

piccoloconte

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 06:54:32 am »

Thanks,
I'll let you know if things get better ;)

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 10:16:43 am »

A simple YES here would remove files which are unavailable.

piccoloconte

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 12:39:15 pm »

Yesterday I tried to create a new library where I configured tv, local and remote folders, and it worked one day.
Today, when the PC wakes up from standby, the remote folders are gone.
Thanks

piccoloconte

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 03:58:26 am »

Hello,
after a week of testing with version 26, fortunately I can say that it does not have this problem.
Hope the developers update version 27
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 05:57:20 am »

Check the configuration to make sure they match.

You can backup your library in MC26 and restore it in MC27.

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 03:41:08 pm »

Jim and Wer have offered good advice. i am not sure i fully understand all you want to accomplish but i think you should consolidate. This may not be  the ideal way you would like but it should simplify the process. Pick one computer transfer/copy all your films music and images/pictures to this computer. If storage is a problem Hard Drive storage is relatively cheap.This computer becomes your jriver server. all your other computers  will be "Clients". Go to>tools >options>media server and check use media network to share this library follow the prompts. you will get an access key. you will use it for all the clients computer. you will be able to name your clients during this setup. if you have a client computer not on your network say at your office then you will have to set up port forwarding on your server. On your JRiver server Go to>tools >options> Startup> Windows Startup>Run on Windows startup and select Media Server. On any of the clients that you wish to use a remote control you will need to select Media Center and Media Server. If you are going to use a keyboard then you can just select Media Center. All your clients will sync with your JRiver Server computer. As long as your JRiver server computer is on you will be able to watch from it if you have it connected to a tv and you will have access if you want to watch from any of your clients if they are connected to a different tv or monitor. you will not have to disconnect anything and all clients will stay in sync. I hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up