INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library server sync...  (Read 608 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Library server sync...
« on: December 19, 2020, 08:23:20 am »

Our HTPC is a client, uses authentication, and generally, syncs just fine. I've found a lot of missing playback data though...

Thinking... We watch a film before bed, it ends, HTPC is put to sleep. I know for a fact that this has given it no time to sync back to the server, but also know that if we wake the HTPC the next day, the data is then synced back to the server.

Often, it can be many days, sometimes a week even, before the HTPC is called upon again, and I surmise that this is when the data is lost. Is that reasonable? Is there anything I can do other than obsessively check the server for updates from the HTPC before powering it down? (Who wants to do that??)

-marko

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Library server sync...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 06:19:28 pm »

I've noticed the same on many of my Media Center clients. I was able to largely solve the issue with my HTPC by running it with its own Media Server (connected then to my main server) always open in the tray. However, this isn't always practical. I'm not ever forcibly killing MC or anything of that sort. Just shutting it down normally.

Also, I'm not sure that is always the case. I can definitely reproduce tagging issues manually by just tagging files from my clients, and then leaving them sit open. In many cases, it takes multiple attempts to get the tag changes to "stick". They change, then you move onto tagging other files, and when you look back at the ones you just did a few moments ago, the changes have reverted.

I'm not sure why it happens, but something is definitely buggy in the change syncing. I should also note: This isn't new behavior. I've seen it happen, sometimes worse than others, for a long, long while.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Sauzee

Re: Library server sync...
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 08:07:55 am »

I've noticed the same on many of my Media Center clients. I was able to largely solve the issue with my HTPC by running it with its own Media Server (connected then to my main server) always open in the tray. However, this isn't always practical. I'm not ever forcibly killing MC or anything of that sort. Just shutting it down normally.

Also, I'm not sure that is always the case. I can definitely reproduce tagging issues manually by just tagging files from my clients, and then leaving them sit open. In many cases, it takes multiple attempts to get the tag changes to "stick". They change, then you move onto tagging other files, and when you look back at the ones you just did a few moments ago, the changes have reverted.

I'm not sure why it happens, but something is definitely buggy in the change syncing. I should also note: This isn't new behavior. I've seen it happen, sometimes worse than others, for a long, long while.

I've had the exact same problems with tagging issues on client machine as described by glynor. Tagging done on client sometimes disappears within seconds. It's a pain and means I try to avoid tagging on client.

I wondered if it might be related to MC syncing libraries in background whilst tagging, and when sync is complete, the tag changes made during sync are lost?

Would be great to get a fix for this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up