INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA won't start on Ubuntu  (Read 732 times)

CalvinandHobbes

DLNA won't start on Ubuntu
« on: December 29, 2020, 08:58:56 am »

I run MC 26 on Ubuntu 20.10. I want to activate DLNA Services for Gizmo and to stream Tidal over BubbleUPnP. I tested it on a Windows Laptop in the same Network and it works without problems. I disabled the Ubuntu Firewall so I think I shouldn't have problems there. In BublleUPnP it won't find the renderer. And in Gizmo i only get the message "There was a problem connecting to the server" after many retries.

Thanks in advance for your help.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: DLNA won't start on Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 10:42:32 am »

What you're describing really sounds like a firewall problem.  Rather than disabling the Ubuntu firewall, you might just want to add the necessary ports to the exceptions list because disabling the Ubuntu firewall might just cause the system to default back to a "default drop" firewall rule which would be obviously unhelpful.

As an easy diagnostic you can type "iptables -S" into a terminal with administrative privileges (i.e. as root or with sudo) to see what your existing firewall rules are.  If there's a "-P INPUT DROP" in the list then its dropping all incoming packets that don't match a rule, which means your firewall is very much not disabled. 

The ports you need to exempt are 1900 (UDP and TCP), and 52000-52999 (UDP and TCP), but you can see more specific ports by looking under the media network report view under the "Services & Plugins" tree view.  That view will also show you if you've successfully enabled media network and the status of MC's media servers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up