INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound Setting windows 10  (Read 567 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Sound Setting windows 10
« on: January 25, 2021, 01:14:16 pm »

On the right of the taskbar in Windows 10, it is possible to select sound playback, usually the PC's own internal speaker, or JRiver Media Centre, or one's own DAC. What's the difference between selecting JRiver Media Centre and one's own DAC? They both seem to play. Also, not sure why the version of MC in this case is 24.

David Sydney

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Sound Setting windows 10
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 05:34:19 pm »

The MC24 Sound driver is there to let other applications to play sound through JRiver MC. It is not used inside JRiver river unless you specifically have selected that as the sound device in Options Audio settings. It is useful in trying to coral different sound devices. For example I have Realtec Digital Output sound and Intel Display Audio (via HDMI). Windows does not do a good job of selecting the right audio device for different applications. Sometimes it randomly assigns different sound devices to difference applications. Theoretically you could disable all the other devices except MC24 Sound driver, then control the output within MC using zone switching etc.

In my case I do not use it because my setup is not that complicated. But there are plenty of people who do. The version number is not really relevant. Not sure why it has not been renamed to drop the number out of the name of the driver.
Dave
------
Linux Manjaro 23 / Windows 10 Pro | i7 14700K Gigabyte Z790 UD AX | JRMark 10253 | Realtek Integrated HDAudio SPDIF | PC Sound - Yamaha TSS-15 5.1 DAC (will be sad when capacitors die!)| Real Sound - DLNA Network to Yamaha RX-V777 Receiver Living Room + Deck | DLNA to Paired Yamaha WiFi WX-010 MusicCast Speakers to Outside Areas

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Sound Setting windows 10
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 06:54:39 pm »

Got it! Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up