INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cloudplay - FLAC Compression Tag  (Read 335 times)

dennismf

• Recent member
Cloudplay - FLAC Compression Tag
« on: January 17, 2021, 11:37:05 pm »

Today I decided to sign up for Cloudplay. I created a suitable playlist that consisted of 25 flac encoded files.

When I tried to upload them, I received a message telling me that 22 of the flac files did not have FLAC compression!

The three files that were acceptable were all downloaded from HDTracks.  I compared the tags on the files that were accepted and those that were not. It appears that the accepted files had a "Compression" tag set to FLAC. Those that were not accepted had an empty "Compression" tag.

Almost all of the files in my library were encoded using previous versions of MC (I have been using MC for around 15 years so I cannot tell which versions were used)

I did a test encode of two albums from FLAC to FLAC using MC27. One input album was missing the Compression tags and the other had Compression set to FLAC. The output of this test encode had Compression set to FLAC on all files. The current encoder seems to be setting this tag.

The output files are of similar size to the input files. I am certain that all of the input files are flac encoded.

I tried to add the Compression tag through the MC tag panel, however this tag is not editable.

My library contains around 6500 flac files. I could re-encode these, but I am concerned that I will loose the play counts, rating, last played date etc. metadata held in the library.

Is there a safe way to get the Compression tag set correctly without loosing the metadata?   ?

Thanks,
Dennis MF

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Cloudplay - FLAC Compression Tag
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 05:14:56 am »

You may be able to populate your missing Compression tags by right clicking the files and select Library Tools>Update Library (from tags).
But do a library backup first before you proceed and try this on a few single files first to check it does not have any unexpected consequences.
Good Luck

dennismf

• Recent member
Re: Cloudplay - FLAC Compression Tag
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 04:58:13 pm »

You may be able to populate your missing Compression tags by right clicking the files and select Library Tools>Update Library (from tags).

I did try the update suggested above. However as the Compress tag is not present in either the file or my library, this did not work.

As the FLAC encoder in MC27 does create the correct tags, I did some tests on individual files. I found that if I reencoded (FLAC -> FLAC) using MC27, the last played date and time was preserved but my file Rating was lost. I used Tools -> Options -> Library and Folders -> Manage Library Fields to tell MC that I wanted to store the Rating inside the media files. When I tested again, I found that all the critical tags were present in the output encoded files.

I have successfully reencoded all FLAC files in my library telling the encoder to replace the existing files with the reencoded files.

This together with other file tagging changes that updated the File Type tag, means that I have over 10000 files that have changed and must be resynced with my OneDrive media file backup.

My MC library is now working well and the backup will resync over the next few days.

Thanks for the assistance.

Dennis MF
Pages: [1]   Go Up