INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using the Counter expression for file renaming?  (Read 449 times)

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Using the Counter expression for file renaming?
« on: January 17, 2021, 01:45:43 pm »

I am adding scanned pictures to my picture collection in MC. I now need to renumber since I added new pics. Currently I use something like '1998 picture 37' and I am sticking the new pictures in as 14a, 14b, 59a, etc. so that they will be in the right spots in my list. How can I come back now and renumber the pictures in a new sequential order?

I think the Counter expression might work, but I cannot figure out how to set it up in my Rename Files dialog. I need an expression guru to help me...

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using the Counter expression for file renaming?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 11:45:07 pm »

You don't want to be using Counter() for this job.... See this short thread for 'why not'.

The function to use in your case, is CustomData(#).

I think the given example is pretty self explanatory. Create your filename rule, entering it into the filename field of the rename tool, check your before/after results in the right hand pane, and if you're happy, hit the OK button.

If you need more help, just shout :)

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 12:04:17 am »

Well, you certainly could do it Marko's way. It's the right way. It's a perfectly good way.

But in case you like to be a bit of a rebel, you could do it the secret squirrel way...   8)

Even though they are images, you can put them in whatever order you want using a view or playlist, and then just do a Library Tools->Fill Track # From List Order.

You can then use the track # field in RMCF or in any other expression.

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 08:08:21 pm »

Thanks Marko. I tried this expression and it was perfect!

And, wer, I actually thought about that method, but I couldn't figure out how to get my naming scheme with the number as well until you laid that out for me.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll try both eventually.
Pages: [1]   Go Up