INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing track numbers to 2 digits during import  (Read 421 times)

GSUK

Changing track numbers to 2 digits during import
« on: January 22, 2021, 12:15:59 pm »

Hi all,

Brand new to JRiver   ;D

I'm looking to import all my audio and edit the tags during import (trying to fix Gracenote issues playing tracks in the wrong order in my car!).  From what I've read, there are 2 things I need to do to fix this:

1. Change the Track# to 2 digits.  ie. 01,02,03 etc and not leave them as 1,2,3

2. Prefix all file names with the track number.

I've been trying to get the tags working on import but can't get the syntax right and there are soooo many options to choose from. 

Any help on how to get this import working would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Changing track numbers to 2 digits during import
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 01:45:33 pm »

Welcome to the forums.

It's not necessary to do this during import. It can be done that way, but I'm not sure it's preferable. Tag on Import isn't subject to your review before it happens, so you can achieve unexpected and undesired results if you're not careful.  I think it would be better to use the RMCF tool, and then you would have a preview before changes were made, and you could selectively do it to as many or as few files as you wanted, after import.
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Changing the filename during import is an especially intrepid thing to do. You've been warned.

But if you want to do it at import, here's the rule for your track # tag:
Code: [Select]
Padnumber([Track #], 2)
If you want 3 digits instead of 2, change the 2.

You didn't really describe exactly how you want your tracks named, but here's a simple rule that will do the task exactly as you requested. Apply this rule to the [Filename (name)] tag:
[Track #] - [Filename (name)]
Be careful.  Good luck.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 01:58:02 pm »

Also, MC uses Natural Sorting, so it knows that Track 2 comes before Track 11; no need to call it 02. There's no need to rename the files at all for this (or any other issue) unless you want to have them show up in order in other applications too.

MC doesn't really care what the file is named. As long as you enter good tags/values for track name/number, album name, etc, it just works. Playlists can be sorted by whatever criteria you like (including filename, but that's usually not useful).

So the normal workflow is to just import everything, then spend some [considerable] time tagging everything and fixing issues, and you're set.

wer

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 02:03:53 pm »

He said he's trying to address a problem in his car, Zybex. Some cars sort stupidly.

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 02:46:37 pm »

Ah, I missed that. Then yes, Import first then RMCF.

There are more powerful bulk rename tools out there, if MC+RMCF doesn't do the trick.
This one is free and ugly, but very powerful when needed:
https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/

GSUK

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 05:52:12 am »

Thanks all.  good to know I can modify after import - will take a look and test on a copy of my files.  BRU looks like a pretty useful too!  Found another app too called MP3tag.  Hopefully between all 3 I'll achieve what's needed.

If you're interested, here's a post with the issue I'm trying to resolve:  https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w213/733103-music-play-order-mercedes-comand.html

same issue seems to affect Tesla, Ford and any other vehicle that uses the Gracenote DB with voice command

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 07:18:24 am »

If you are "syncing handheld" (copying) to external mass storage like usb stick for listening music in car you can also do the filenaming during that sync to stick. So original files on your pc will stay as they are but file on stick are renamed for listening in auto

In this example filename on hand held will be like this
Folder:
[Media Type]\[Album Artist (auto)]\[Album]\Jet\Get Born\
Filename:
[Artist] - [Album] - If(!IsEmpty([Disc #]),PadNumber([Disc #],2),01)#PadNumber([Track #],3) - [Name]Jet - Get Born - 01#002 - Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Pages: [1]   Go Up