Devices > Video Cards, Monitors, Televisions, and Projectors

MadVR banding

(1/7) > >>

MediaMongrel:
Hello. 

I just bought a brand new laptop specifically because I am starting to add 4k HDR movies to my movie collection (now that I have a new 4K tv).  My previous laptop was fine, using JRiver to manage/play my 1080p movie collection... but didn't have either the horsepower or I/Os that are necessary for UHD HDR.

My new setup is:
JRiver 26 & Windows 10
laptop w 11/th gen Intel i7-1165G7 (Iris Xe graphics), 16gb RAM, and DisplayPort 1.4,
Startech DP-to-HDMI adapter (capable of 4k HDR @ 30Hz),
certified premium HDMI 2 cable, and
LG CX tv (w/ HDMI 2.1).

I set Windows HDR turned on, and I'm outputting 2160p @ 30Hz to an external monitor/tv (also tried other Hzs... anything above 30Hz lowers colour to 8bit, but anything 30Hz or less, 10bit colour).  I set MadVR in JRiver to Red October HQ... and have spent the equivalent of 4 full working days playing with settings and testing results.  Whether outputting at 8bit or 10bit, RGB at 0-255 or 16-235, HDR - let madVR decide  or passthrough to display, and more!  And my tv's HDMI port is set to 'PC', with all extra image processing features turned off.

Earlier on, I was struggling with judder.  I updated both Intel and Lenovo drivers, and eventually I was able to play my 4k HDR videos (mkv, etc) smoothly.  However, then I started noticing terrible banding (not certain if it was there before the driver updates).  No setting in madVR, whether applying banding filters or not, got rid of the banding.  It did see a noticeable improvement when I started outputting to 8bit, rather than 10bit... but that didn't entirely eliminate the banding.

So I then played the exact same videos in VLC... no banding, perfectly smooth frame rate.
And then i played the videos in Cyberlink PowerDVD... again, no banding, and smooth frame rate.
I checked on my tv, and confirmed i was getting a 10bit signal.

But both of these softwares cannot compare to JRiver as a library manager... i don't want to leave JRiver, for my one stop movie collection hub. Why can't I get the same perfect image quality in JRiver, as I can with VLC & PowerDVD?  I spent sooooo much time, trial and error, checking and unchecking various madVR settings, thinking SOMETHING must work!    Honestly, I had given up... it's only because I can't find anything else that's so easy to navigate through a collection, with tags, that I'm coming back to JRiver and asking for help.  Anyone?   :/

zybex:
Is VLC also using MadVR and LAV filters?

MC uses a separate config for MadVR and LAV, distinct from the system configuration that VLC and others use. You can play something in VLC and then open the settings (from the tray icons) to compare them with the settings in MC.

You can also do what I do: in MC, go to File Types and set video files (AVI, MKV, MP4, etc) to play on "External Program (default)". This way when you start something on MC the default player for that extension is launched. I use MPC-HC with dark skin as my default player, starting in fullscreen, with MadVR and LAV filters installed via the KLite Codec pack.

Awesome Donkey:

--- Quote from: zybex on January 30, 2021, 02:22:20 pm ---Is VLC also using MadVR and LAV filters?
--- End quote ---

VLC doesn't/can't use either one. It uses its own filters as far as I know.

zybex:
Doh, you're right.

MediaMongrel:

--- Quote from: zybex on January 30, 2021, 02:22:20 pm ---MC uses a separate config for MadVR and LAV.

You can also do what I do: in MC, go to File Types and set video files (AVI, MKV, MP4, etc) to play on "External Program (default)". This way when you start something on MC the default player for that extension is launched. I use MPC-HC with dark skin as my default player, starting in fullscreen, with MadVR and LAV filters installed via the KLite Codec pack.

--- End quote ---

Haven't heard of LAV before. 
I tried your suggestion, regarding 'External Program (default)', so that VLC would open and play the selected video.  While that does allow me to browse my movie collection in JRiver, and play the video on VLC... it seems far from optimal - especially when using an IR remote, which I do.

You click on the movie in JRiver, then VLC will start up and appear ontop of JRiver, and start playing the movie.  Let's say, you changed your mind and want to play a different video.  If you pause or stop the movie in VLC, then click a media button on the remote control to take you back to JRiver to see your library... ok, that works... but if I then maneuver to another video and press play (in JRiver)... the 2nd video WILL begin playing in VLC, but you cannot view it, because VLC was already open but hidden behind JRiver, so that's where it is now playing - out of site, behind JRiver.  I need to put the remote control down, walk over to my laptop, and use the mouse to click on the VLC player so that it will again be ontop of JRiver.  (sigh)   You see... the FIRST time you click a video, VLC wasn't previously open... so it pops up ontop of everything.  But the SECOND time you click a video, VLC just starts playing it, wherever VLC already was (hidden behind JRiver).

Also, VLC seems to like to assume the default audio device is my TV, even though I keep resetting it to be my USB connection to my pre-amp.  So every time I play a video in VLC... i gotta put my remote down, go over to the laptop, and click my preferred audio device, again.  (sigh)

But ya... the video quality is great, played in VLC!  It's just a hassle to use it with JRiver, when you like to go back and forth with a remote control.   Still... i learned something new, thank you!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version